RC Movie Grip
    Bearsdad started this thread.
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

old school new guy...

hey all,
    joined up for me and the kid. the kid being a three year old who loves to winch and pull trucks ''out of da mud '' as he says. so he and I just got, ordered last night, a SCX10 honcho. we are her to learn and play...

its been a few years since I have enjoyed the fun of RCing... when i was a kid i ran an old''Brat'', you all remember that one? was a lot of fun, lived in NYC at the time, fast little bugger, with steel gears and locked rear. raced a cab and missed a turn , well, it was the last till now...

is there a list of upgrades, i have checked out some of the youtube stuff.

on a bigger note....
    i run an 03'dbl cab tacoma, built up and ran hard, the honcho reminds me of the real deal sitting out in the drive way covered in 18'' of snow.
    is there an simple way to upload pics? being old and in the way and all, im kinda slow with this stuff...

Bearsdad....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Photobucket

Click the Banner to come Check Out our Amazing RC Store!
    We Ship World-Wide!

RCSparks Studio Approved!

RCSparks Intro Team Leader RcCrawlerKing's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Follow RcCrawlerKing On Twitter Add RcCrawlerKing on Facebook Visit RcCrawlerKing's Youtube Channel
    Hello and let me be the first to welcome you to the site! To upload photos go here ---> How To post an Image or Picture in a Forum

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add fordguy8790 on Facebook
    Hey, and welcome to the forum! Good choice with the SCX10... the upgrade and customization options are almost endless.

I've seen the Tamiya Brat before, they look like a lot of fun! And I know what you mean about driving mistakes... I drove my Losi Micro T straight into a sewer drain once.

My, and most people's recommendation for upgrades is run the truck as-is until something breaks or doesn't perform the way you want, then upgrade from there. Many people start off with aluminum links (if yours doesn't already have them) and beadlock wheels. This way, you can swap out tires, foams, wheel weights, etc. and not have to unglue and reglue every time.

To upload pics, you'll need to host them on an image site. There are several to choose from, but I use Photobucket. Create an account (they're free), upload your images there, then post the [IMG] code from there into your forum posts here.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

bumpin likes this.

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Follow doguss55 On Twitter Add doguss55 on Facebook Visit doguss55's Youtube Channel
    Hello and welcome to the forums! It's great to have you here with us! Everyone here is really friendly and helpful. I Have a mate who still has a working tamiya brat. Awesome thing that it is!

Country
    United States
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=fordguy8790;165874]Hey, and welcome to the forum! Good choice with the SCX10... the upgrade and customization options are almost endless.

I've seen the Tamiya Brat before, they look like a lot of fun! And I know what you mean about driving mistakes... I drove my Losi Micro T straight into a sewer drain once.

lmfao i snotted soda when i read that!!!

fordguy8790 and MaxximusRC like this.

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    hey I had a grass hopper in the 80s....a stampede in 2002ish use truck today works great....with my first ESC....so some water proffing is new.....2wd truck jumps great made ramp because I live in bfe...and NO rc tracks/clubs any where!!!!!!

Trippen likes this.

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to the Forum, I am following Fordguy8790's advise, running it stock until I figure out what I need to upgrade to suit my driving style. the SCX-10 is capable little truck stock so you and you son will have a blast. Looking forward to photos...
    Have fun thats why we are all here.

Country
    United States
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy3128 View Post
    hey I had a grass hopper in the 80s....a stampede in 2002ish use truck today works great....with my first ESC....so some water proffing is new.....2wd truck jumps great made ramp because I live in bfe...and NO rc tracks/clubs any where!!!!!!
    have you checked mich's forefinger it pretty close to the thumb. shouldnt be to far to travel for an rc club

(location, location, location!!)

Last edited by bumpin; 02-11-13 at 10:05 PM.

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpin View Post
    lmfao i snotted soda when i read that!!!
    I was driving it out in the street and saw my wife coming home from work... I thought it would be funny to drive it right at her car and swerve out of the way at the last second (residential area, streets were empty). I cut the wheel to the right and it went in THE ONLY DRAIN ON THE STREET. I couldn't have done it if I tried. Luckily, I was able to pull the grate up and get the truck. Live and learn, I guess.

Country
    United States
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    thats awesome man . my buddy tried to jump a 5gallon bucket with his bmx one day . well his lets just say it didnt work out . his front tire went into the bucket, besides the obvious carnage that insued i believe i peed a little i was laughing so frickin hard.

MaxximusRC likes this.

RC Movie Grip
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so I have had the truck for two weeks now. needs a lot of work.

the links bend and so do the tie rods and such. all thats gonna go.. sugestions ?

do i need a high steer to get a normal cross over set up? i'm betting the metal hubs,inners and outers, will get rid od the front wheel wobbles.

needs a better motor also, or gears? who knows? whats up with the 2 motor thing?

i guess i also will need a 4 chanel radio, you know, for the 2 speed tranny, mine doesn't go fast or slow enough.
    i do have a working winch, mounted befor i ever ran it. thank you very much RC4wd.

2.2 beadlock wheels and Flat Irons are comming this week. some G-made shocks also.

but on that note. THE DANG TOY ROCKS have had a ball so far with it!!!

love the way it hops when trying to climb.

this is going to be fun....

fordguy8790 likes this.

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
    the links bend and so do the tie rods and such. all thats gonna go.. sugestions ?
    Dribble made a video on custom links... I used it when I built my 1956 F100, and they have held up great. I think I have about $30 wrapped up in mine, and enough left over for a few spares.

do i need a high steer to get a normal cross over set up? i'm betting the metal hubs,inners and outers, will get rid od the front wheel wobbles.
    You'll get some wobble from the plastic bits, but a plastic steering link doesn't help any either. Aluminum steering definitely helps to firm things up.

needs a better motor also, or gears? who knows? whats up with the 2 motor thing?
    What exactly do you want it to do better? I switched my 27T for an Axial 20T (stock Wraith motor) and I love it... greatly improved speed and didn't affect crawling too much, at least in my opinion. Dual motors aren't something I have messed with, but they're an option if you want more torque.

2.2 beadlock wheels and Flat Irons are comming this week. some G-made shocks also.
    Beadlocks are a great investment, and my Flat Irons are some of the best tires I've used.

but on that note. THE DANG TOY ROCKS have had a ball so far with it!!!
    Keep it up, man! Post some pictures so we can see what you're getting into.

RC Movie Grip
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    trying the pic thing...

Last edited by Bearsdad; 03-19-13 at 4:50 PM.

RC Movie Grip
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    o.k. so i have some pics ready but can't seem to get the pic in the tread, i can get the URL#? in the IMG spot but its just #s. WTF how do i do this????

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Follow doguss55 On Twitter Add doguss55 on Facebook Visit doguss55's Youtube Channel
    o.k. so i have some pics ready but can't seem to get the pic in the tread, i can get the URL#? in the IMG spot but its just #s. WTF how do i do this????

G'day mate, have a look at this thread it should explain to you pretty clearly how to post up pics. Hope it helps you out.
    How To post an Image or Picture in a Forum

RCSparks Team Member MaxximusRC's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Follow MaxximusRC On Twitter Add MaxximusRC on Facebook Visit MaxximusRC's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy3128 View Post
    I live just about in the middle between Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Lansing, there is only one track I know of and its south of Ann Arbor, in Saline. A friend of mine has been there a few times.

+ Reply to Thread