+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Tiernan85
  • 2 Post By Magnat007

Thread: RC4WD Trail finder 2 or Tamiya Toyota Tundra High Lift?

RC Production Assist

skaterpunk started this thread.
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Visit skaterpunk's Youtube Channel

RC4WD Trail finder 2 or Tamiya Toyota Tundra High Lift?

I'm looking for next project I like them both. I know the Hilux and F350 high lift are discontinued and the tundra is sold out most places, so I would like to get one before I can't. The TF2 is an awesome scaler too! I can't choose.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Photobucket

Click the Banner to come Check Out our Amazing RC Store!
    We Ship World-Wide!

RCSparks Studio Approved!

Proud SCX10 Owner

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Visit Magnat007's Youtube Channel
    Highlift for sure... King of the Scale offroader...
    Slap a sound unit and Light kit into one and your gonna have one sweet ride.... (It will cost a fortune though lol)

RC Production Assist

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cost isn't really an issue but what would u suggest as a radio in want a 2.4 GHz but tamiya says a stick transmitter with analog trims I have searched high and low for one.

Proud SCX10 Owner

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Thats old school technology for meaning it needs to have a more then 2 channel controller for maximum effect..
    Highlifts need at least a 3 channel controller with a 3 position switch for the 3 speed transmission..
    Since the invention of the 2.4ghz controller it means you can now use a stick controller usually reserved for Aircraft..
    If you go all out and fully do up a High lift I can see a 6 channel controller being needed...

I will have a chat to some current Highlift owners and they can jump in and help out with your questions...

RC Production Assist

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes I know about the channels I have the DX4S I can use a three position switch for the trans but the sound kit uses the trims form the different sounds if they just run on channels I can get an aircraft radio such as the DX6i. From what I understand the trims wouldn't be a channel of their own

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add scxrunner on Facebook
    I got the tundra and love it! I use the dx3c remote.

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Visit Tiernan85's Youtube Channel
    I run an F350 and love it! It does take a bit of work to really get it to perform comparably to something like say an scx10. Out of the box the biggest limitation is the low tranny(Tundra's are a little bit better as their tranny is raised higher). In my opinion they both need to be lifted regardless of model to get useable trailing abilities. Once that is sorted, it's down to personal preference on what you want to do and how far you want to take it.

In that sense, I would give the TF2 the edge outta the box. It's better suited to get on the trails. It of course also has some things that could be changed to better it's performance(really what stock rc doesn't?), but overall it really seems quite good. They both are really scale looking vehicles, and as much as I love my Tamiya, I think I would give the scale details to the TF2. It has better looking axles(in stock form), interior and the frame also. Where the Tamiya leaves those things somewhat generic.

If I was to honestly chose one(I guess I did already), it would be the Tamiya. Although I might have been biased in my choice, simply because I always wanted one. The 3 speed transmission really drew me in. There's something about it and I love it. It seems most owners would agree. I've not owned a TF2, but in all honesty I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

As for radios, it really depends what truck you chose first of all. If you chose the tamiya and you want the full lights and sounds kit, I think you're going to be looking at running a stick radio of some sort. As far as I'm aware you can run more up to date 2.4ghz digital radios and still get everything working as I've seen people run them on Spektrum DX7 or DX6i. I personally chose to leave the light/sound kit out and run a more modern esc and rig lights up myself. I wasn't too bothered about sounds. I use a Futaba 4PL pistol grip style transmitter. I can't fault it at all. I can control my transmission gears and my winch with the extra channels. You can run the Tamiya's on a 3ch radio also(I've seen some use a 2ch radio, but that's a whole new story), but I preferred the 4th channel as I wanted a functional winch. There are cheaper radios than Futaba also, I've just run them for ages and I guess become a bit of a "fan boy"

With the TF2, you will again require a 3ch radio as it has a 2 speed gear box(please correct me if I'm wrong). And again a 4th channel can come in handy for that ability to control some extra things.

There's a bit of a blurb, not sure if it helps, if I can help to make your decision easier though, I would suggest to get.....

them both!

Last edited by Tiernan85; 04-17-13 at 4:56 PM.
    DR.AGO, doguss55 and Nepsites like this.

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    also, TowerHobbies has both the Tundra and F350 in stock

RC Production Assist

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for your input. It does help. I was planing on using a 4ch pistol grip for the tamiya. It is the sound unit that they recommend a specific radio. It is cool but I'd probably get sick of it anyways. I was looking on rpphobby.com and went to buy the next day they were sold out it is about $50 cheaper that's half the lift kit! Cost isn't an issue but I still like the save if I can.

RC Production Assist

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I emailed Tamiya about the transmitter this was the reply: All Tamiya High-Lift models can use the digital 2.4 GHz radio system with atleast 2 channels while a 3 channel transmitter it recomended. The Tamiya Multi Function Control Unit (MFC-02) provides many different truck related sound effects. The Multi
    Function Control Unit REQUIRES an FM type radio only with analog trims.

Proud SCX10 Owner

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    WOW its time tamiya updated the MFU to modern standards then...

skaterpunk and RCinmyblood like this.

RC Production Assist

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnat007 View Post
    WOW its time tamiya updated the MFU to modern standards then...
    You would think so. I do think they are phasing out the high lifts

Proud SCX10 Owner

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Which is more reason to get one !!!

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Follow dk14rc On Twitter Add dk14rc on Facebook Visit dk14rc's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnat007 View Post
    Which is more reason to get one !!!
    yes and no it would be great to get one but aftermarket parts might start to thin out the tf2 has loads as does the tamiya but the tamiya's might stop having them so...

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If they really are being phased out, I agree that parts will die out too, but at the moment, there is so much available for them, and so many parts that work on multiple other vehicles, I would say it would be quite sometime before you can't get the items you're looking for.

Again though, either way you go, you're going to have a truck that you enjoy.

RC Production Assist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add rcmike09 on Facebook
    i would like to put my two cents in. if you can get a 2.4 with analog receiver it will work. i used there sound system on my big blackfoot and i have a 14 channel radio with a analog receiver. now i don't get to use all 14 channels but the sound system works. i do wish however that they would update there systems as there are other sound systems out there that are a lot smaller.

RC Props Assist

Country
    Japan
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Visit Nepsites's Youtube Channel
    The only disappointment i have in my Tundra is the low tranny position. I always get stuck on the road. But I lifted it now for just 1cm. Yes you can lift it more higher but just 1 cm. because there is a hole for the screws. in the picture below, in the yellow circle, that is where you mount it according to the manual. but you can lift it, as you can see there is hole above. BUt you cannot use anymore the battery holder since it would hit the rear drive shot.

I have the same situation before. I also having hard time to choose between the TF2 and Tundra.

in my ratings:
    Tundra - nice head lamps (signal lights and higher beam lights are all inside one headlamps), The axle is more scaled inside since you can lock it or unlock the diff. The 3 speed transmission very usable in all terrains. You really need the 3. the scaled leafs. the MFU-2 sounds and functional lights. rubber side mirrors to absorbed impact on rollover.

Things I dont like:
    The very low transmission position,
    The axle not really look scale since it is square not rounded. kinda looked generic. and also the rear axle is like the front axle (It turn also lol). thats why too many parts to install to make it fix on one position.
    the chassis is fine but i like other rc`s chassis like the TF2 because its moulded according to the wheels. tamiya high-lifts chassis is straight.
    side mirrors is too big for its size. ( i think)
    top heavy. rollover easily.

I think no need to worry about the parts. since you can use other makers parts.

overall..... I LOVE MY TUNDRA.... because Im happy with it and very satisfied.... and because im saving for TF2. i hope i can get it too
    I hope I helped you even a bit.....

by the way here she is

Last edited by Nepsites; 07-01-13 at 2:02 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    They're both great trucks and you won't have problems finding parts for them. The first thing you need to get for the Tamiya is ball bearing. For both you need to find the right combination of leafs for your suspension so it articulates better. I went with the Tamiya F350 and haven't regret it.

RC Studio Gopher
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i just build the tamiya tundra, i got 975$ into it and still dont have the 400$ mfc-02, its a real costly build. aftermarket parts i think it is a bit slimer on option than the trail finder 2, on mine i got the futaba attack 4gwd 4 channel controler, the one on the box kit that says clearly not to use cause its digital lol, it work awsome for me with no issues, got a duratrax 1059 esc, hytech high torque servo for the transmission, used the 2 futaba servo for the front and rear steer,proline tsl sx 1.9 tires and a 11.1v lipo 1,400mah, got a 7.4v lipo 10,000mah coming in the mail, witch hopefully will get more playing time with it lol. here a few pics

RC Studio Gopher
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im actually thinking of getting the trail finder 2 now for my next build, check both of them out on their sites, i think the trailfinder has more metal parts and to me suspension wise seems more realistic compared to the high lift

+ Reply to Thread