RC Set Designer
    darkside0914 started this thread.
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Add darkside0914 on Facebook Visit darkside0914's Youtube Channel

tell me what you think of this idea and any suggestions

i was recently watching a program on the idiot box about old military vehicles and this idea popped in my mind for a powered trailer for my 6x6 project rig I was thinking either a moa axle or a hidden transmission and drive shaft with a standard axle I could make a tool box at the front of the trailer to hide the trans and motor and id be able to mod a standard axial axle to make it have dual drive axles like I did with my 6x6 any ideas would be helpful here and what do you think of the idea as a whole

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Photobucket

Click the Banner to come Check Out our Amazing RC Store!
    We Ship World-Wide!

RCSparks Studio Approved!

RC Set Designer

Country
    England
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Visit Joker777's Youtube Channel
    I think a " powered" trailer is a great idea if you can get the wheel speed to match your truck. When i was watching this years TTC and seeing all those guys doing it with trailers on i did wonder why none of them had attempted to make the trailer wheels driven.

doguss55 likes this.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    that's why I was thinking a standard axle and trans setup would be best a lot easier to get the gearing the same if u use a transmission and axle from an identicle truck and use the same size tires as well I think it should be fairly easy if I was to use a set up similer to what you would use for duel escs or even easier to simply run power wires to the trailer motor from a single esc and set it up like any dual motor setup simply pull a quick connect and remove a bolt of some kind and you have a regular truck with no trailer again I was going to try a half track but I think this would be more my level at this time

doguss55 and Joker777 like this.

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That sounds like an awesome idea. So far the only trailer I have built is a flatbed to haul my sons "broke down" truck. I first got him one of the toy grade rock crawlers, and have since modified it for a better battery. He is always wanting to get stuck so I can pull him out. He hasn't seen my winch that I am installing on my Honcho. Good solid fun.

lout likes this.

RC Set Designer

Country
    England
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Visit Joker777's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside0914 View Post
    that's why I was thinking a standard axle and trans setup would be best a lot easier to get the gearing the same if u use a transmission and axle from an identicle truck and use the same size tires as well I think it should be fairly easy if I was to use a set up similer to what you would use for duel escs or even easier to simply run power wires to the trailer motor from a single esc and set it up like any dual motor setup simply pull a quick connect and remove a bolt of some kind and you have a regular truck with no trailer again I was going to try a half track but I think this would be more my level at this time
    Go for it. I'd love to see this idea come to fruition.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    thanks for the encouragement ,im already making a list of materials parts and costs. some I already have like the axle and a trans, that is if I can get a drive shaft extention block for my 6x6 witch is what im using my spare trans for at the moment . ive also got links and shocks if I want to go with a suspention or would a leaf spring be better; hmmm one to think about there. ill make the frame from 1 in square tubing and some sheet aluminum pretty cheap on amazon and I figure it should be as long or longer than my towing vehicle, witch has grown to 31.5 inches from the front of the front tire to the rear of the rear tire. holy crap this is gonna be a large truck and trailer set. I should be able to get most of what I need for around a hundred bucks maybe all of it.

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Visit Greenie's Youtube Channel
    yeah cool! ive been waiting for someone to attempt this!!!!

check out the Gama Goat. WAY COOL rig.

Gama Goat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

might give you some ideas....maybe, could be the wrong direction, but hey! ideas are ideas!!!

doguss55 likes this.

"Another Clericdv Masterpiece"

Music, gotta be heavy, gotta be loud!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    yeah cool! ive been waiting for someone to attempt this!!!!

check out the Gama Goat. WAY COOL rig.

Gama Goat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

might give you some ideas....maybe, could be the wrong direction, but hey! ideas are ideas!!!
    actually I think that's the exact vehicle the program was about I also remember the host of stacy davids gears doing a show about it a year or so ago

Greenie likes this.

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My exact thoughts, never understood why people would crawl with trailers, but if they were also powered would make a bit more sense, kinda like dragging an anchor behind your rig.

Joker777 likes this.

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Follow doguss55 On Twitter Add doguss55 on Facebook Visit doguss55's Youtube Channel
    I'm liking the idea very much. Would be awesome to see someone attempt this.

"PIPE DREAMS" Eagle racing GTR drifter (Finished)

"CUPCAKE"
    IFRS Wraith Rock Racer (Finished)

"CREEPY"
    T1E Bully Comp Crawler (under construction)

"Yet to be named" Little man's IFS Rock Racer (Under Construction)

"The Testing Arena" - Home Crawler course build (Under Construction)

"BEEFCAKE" Landcruiser SCX-10 (Sold)

"The Goat" - Tamiya Tundra (Sold)

RC Set Designer
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    ok I think ive got my materials list for this build from amazon 1 72 inch section of 1x1 square aluminum tubing $13.00, and 1 sheet 12in x 48in aluminum $17.71, two 27 turn motors stock axial $30.00 + shipping from ckrccrawlers.com or may go with the 20 turn for a little more, 1 Outcry Crawler Dual Motor ESC w. Fan & TurboBEC from rc4wd $60.00 + shipping, 4 delrin skid plate/ transmounts for the maxstone 10 $3.85 apiece +shipping, and 2 maxstone 10 frame plates $17.35 for both plates from nitrorcx ill use the frame plates as a 4 link connection point so my trailer and truck match in ride height ill replace them with custom work or simply mod the plates later on . comes to around $180.00 with shipping costs (unless someones got some of these items theyd be willing to donate to a cash strapped fellow rc addict) every thing else i have ,axles ,tires ,links ,transmission. I haven't come up with coupling system yet thatll give me the articulation between truck and trailer I want was thinking of using a steel rod end from rc4wd bolted to the truck with a bolt and nut to connect the trailor but im not sure if it would be strong enough this is going to be a build that takes me all winter since ill only be able to buy a little at a time each month but ill start a new build thread and start posting pics as soon as I get some of the materials in

Last edited by darkside0914; 10-23-13 at 6:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread