+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TRIALNERROR

Thread: What have you done to your Axial AX10 Ridgecrest?

RC Studio Gopher
    Kabuki started this thread.
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add Kabuki on Facebook

Smile What have you done to your Axial AX10 Ridgecrest?

What have you done to improve the performance of your Ridgecrest? Are you a basher? Or a crawler? Or both?

I have an Axial AX10 Ridgecrest that I have been upgrading and would like to share those upgrades.

I picked up these tips up at the Axial site on a blog. The Ridgecrest is in need of lower cg. I have progressed the shocks (by placing the top of the shocks on the inside hole of the suspension arm) and rotated the links mounts (AX80070) one hundred eighty degrees. This lowered the rig considerably. Instead of trimming the body, I have raised the body mounts up one hole. My Ridgecrest now shows off it's skid plate a little. I think it looks good.

To further lower the rig and help in lateral stability, I outboarded the shocks. When I moved the upper end of the shocks to the inner hole, I removed the spacer between the shock and the suspension arm. At the axles, I moved the lower end of the shock to the outside of the mounting bracket on the axle. You just need a spacer to replace the shock and a longer screw. The spacer keeps the bracket from collapsing. This move lowered the vehicle a little more. But the big change is the Ridgecrest doesn't want to traction roll as much at speed. It'll still roll over. But you have to really push it (too much steering and throttle). Oh, don't forget to "soften" the steering by taking out enough dual rate to clear the shocks.

My next step is to change the S20s for the R35 Ripsaws. I'm choosing new Renegade wheels and will glue the R35s on. My Ridgecrest will maintain the Crawler Basher design and will not be crawler only. I want to have with this one go fast and crawl. I would miss the hill climbs if I turned it into a crawler specific rig. I want this one to be a fusion of the SCX10 and EXO. With a little taste of monster truck. I hope I don't see a future of crawler only Ridgecrests. They would be too wide. In my opinion. I noticed on the Bender video of his Ridgecrest, he used XR10/Vanquish style beadlock wheels. I've noticed that the fast vehicles don't use beadlock. Like the EXO Terra Buggy. And the Ridgecrest. And the Wraith. That's why I'm gluing the R35s to the wheels. I wonder how long before Bender experiences the tire pulling away from the not so tight grip of the beadlock rings. I would rather use glue on a Ridgecrest that will do more than crawl.

I'm also looking at upgrading the suspension links to metal (aluminum or titanium). And the link mounts. I've already upgraded the axle hubs (front and back) and steering knuckles to aluminum. And I've also upgraded the steering links to Vanquish titanium ones. And maybe even the heavy duty diff gears that allow me to overdrive the front axle. I wonder what that'll do at speed. I know it helps to pull a crawler up the rocks.

So does anyone have anything to contribute to this thread? I want my Ridgecrest to be more of the original design of "Do anything. Go anywhere!" and not be crawler specific. But I welcome all questions, suggestions and contributions.

I'll start it off by asking if anyone has tried the upper link mounts on the chassis side. They have three holes and Axial didn't mention anything about the two areas of tuning on this rig (upper shock and upper link on the chassis side). But my old Team Losi Mini Rock Crawler Pro's manual says that lowering the links will soften the action and allow the axles to be more reactive to the terrain (good for crawling) and raising them will stiffen the action and make the axles more stable (good for speed). I personally set my MRC Pro's links to soften the front and stiffen the rear (that's what she said). It makes for a crawler that handles the rocks very well and is very agile. I tried it earlier on my Ridgecrest and it traction rolled even more. But with rig as stands (very low!), I wonder what it would do? I gotta try it some weekend.

I would go out this weekend. But I hurt my back at work and I'm at home recovering. So an rc weekend will happen later. And I just did all the above changes on my Ridgecrest recently. I haven't gone out and test drove it yet. I'm a depressed rc addict right now.

David Best
    Clovis, New Mexico

Owner of a Team Losi MRC Pro, Axial SCX10 Honcho and AX10 Ridgecrest, Park Zone Night Vapor, Blade Scout CX and mQX
    I'm definitely an rc addict! I deserve to buy an RC Addict tshirt!

Last edited by Kabuki; 08-25-12 at 2:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Photobucket

Click the Banner to come Check Out our Amazing RC Store!
    We Ship World-Wide!

RCSparks Studio Approved!

RC Studio Gopher
    Kabuki started this thread.
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add Kabuki on Facebook

Bender's Ridgecrest

I've been doing some research of what Bender Dumont is doing to his Ridgecrest. I noticed that he has raised the upper links on the chassis side to the upper hole. So he want's more stability at speed. His first project was called "Project Backyard Basher". But he's going in the direction of the crawler. I bet the upper link set up has changed. I haven't noticed in the pictures.

David Best
    Clovis, New Mexico

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add TRIALNERROR on Facebook Visit TRIALNERROR's Youtube Channel
    Well here are a few pics of mine.

I think I got all the angles, if you guys want a specific photo let me know I'll do my best

Sent from my .•||||||•.
    0-----0
    BURN EM IF YOU GOT EM!

ScaleBasher and Roch like this.

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add TRIALNERROR on Facebook Visit TRIALNERROR's Youtube Channel
    I had to make another body, this is what I came up with.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/XTe9XF60nUc

Sent from my .•||||||•.
    0-----0
    BURN EM IF YOU GOT EM!

+ Reply to Thread