RC Set Designer
    Tiernan85 started this thread.
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Visit Tiernan85's Youtube Channel

Ford F-350 High-Lift Build/Project Thread

Hello all, this thread is basicly going to be a picture heavy build and project thread for my new Tamiya F-350. I'm nearly done the build already, but I had documented the step by step process along the way before joining up here. Now the start may seem like a tutorial nearly, but it's nothing like that, just simply following the build up process. So I will post up to where I am at currently with a little blurb along the way.

I hope you all enjoy!

Jon.

Starting off then will be the build of the stock truck in it's step by step process. The only thing I switced straight away was to use bearings from Avid RC rather then the supplied bushings.

First thing to do is assemble Gear Shaft A

Gear Shaft B is then assembled

and then we move to assemble Gear Plate A and the Shift Rod

We can then join the gear plate and gear shafts together, and add Gear Plate B to form the 3 speed transmission. I opted to use Lucas Oil Red n Tacky grease rather then the supplied stuff as I use it in all my rc's.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Photobucket

Click the Banner to come Check Out our Amazing RC Store!
    We Ship World-Wide!

RCSparks Studio Approved!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Next up is attaching the plastic gearbox housing

and then the final gear and gear cover go into place. I have seen other builds that utilise a different gear plate which goes off to the side rather then straight down thus allowing more clearance underneath. This is something I may look into in the future.

Up next is to assemble and install the Spur Gear and Slipper Clutch. It seems an ok setup, but I'm open for feedback if others use something else.

and we top this section off by adding the gear cover and motor. I will look to modify/upgrade the gear cover as it's not very easily accessible for changing motors etc. I am also currently running the stock motor, but I have some others on route to mess around with.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Next up is attaching the gear box to the frame rails

and then adding in the front and rear supports

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    We then add to the chassis the leaf spring mounts.

and the damper shock mounts

and then just a quick look of how it's sitting at the moment

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    We then move onto building the differential gears

and I load it up with grease, again using the Red n Tacky stuff.

and add on the cover

Once that is done, we install the diff shafts into the differential and place it all into the axle. At this stage I did opt to install the grub screws in both diffs to lock them.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I then installed the other side of the axle. I have looked into alloy alternatives but at this stage don't see them neccesary so I will wait until the time comes.

The next step was simply adding the diff covers which really add to the look of the axle.

and then installing the steering rods and knuckles. Now the knuckles are something I would normally change to alloy. For now they are stock until the break and alloy ones will be on route shortly enough.

Ok, I have more to add, but it's dinner time now so I'll be back later!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That was quite a long dinner break lol.

Moving on though. The next item to put together was the leaf springs. I've already messed around with multiple combinations with these to see what I like best and I'd say as most people who own one of these know, they are all quite stiff. I snapped this pic of one way I was trying, but currently am running with only springs A and E. I have some RC4WD super soft red springs on route now along with shooter shackles as I want to keep the scale geometry but enhance the articulation a bit more.

Here's them mounted on the axle.

and a couple snapshots of them on the chassis.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    a few more chassis shots of its current state.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The next stage of the build was the shocks. I was definately skeptical on them using grease only and no oil, but once completed I was impressed with the simplicity of the setup, the actual function, and the overall feel of quality and durability. With that still being said, a proper set of shocks is likely to end up on the truck in the near future.

Next we are brought to the front bumper. I'm not dissapointed with it, but I'm not over the moon about it either. I have looked at a few other mods and options for front bumpers so this again is something likely to change in time. But for now, it will do the job.

We then have the rear body mounts, nothing too fancy here but part of the truck none the less!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    These next shots are some of the bits now mounted to the truck. First up is the front bumper.

and the shocks/dampers.

and another overall truck shot.

Next up is the servos, I went with two Hitecs as generally I have had good experiences with them in my other rc's. I'm using a HS-5645MG for steering and a HS-645MG to control the transmission. One thing I messed up on there was running one digital and one analog servo... as I would prefer to run all digital servos. Fortunately I was able to get them at a good price so may opt to change the analog servo out in time.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This brings us then to the shift rod and the steering rod. Simple enough.

Shifting servo installed

Steering servo installed. Now while this location does do well to serve as a single servo that can control both front and rear steer. I don't plan on utilising that function anytime soon. None the less I did still locate it in the stock position until I find the best option for me with relocating the steering servo.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here we have the front and rear steering components(?) I'm not really sure what they would be called lol. They are basicly a middle man, we could do without them to get the job done quicker, but they do a good job and it's not worth the hassle at the moment to go without them lol. I initially mounted both mine up, but have since taken the rear off.

These will be the steering rods from the servo to the "middle men"

and again a shot of the steering set up from the servo.

The rear is held in place by two linkages, it does the job, but I can see myself upgrading either the hubs or the whole axle to eliminate the need for these parts. Until then, as a scale rc noob, they will remain.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I then skipped a couple steps like the on/off switch box. I will likely use it but it will be modded with a waterproof switch. My switch is currently placed on the side of the chassis, but the switch will be changed and location changed also. I also did not install the battery tray as I'll be running lipos. These will be located under the truck bed as I'm assuming most users do.

I then installed the skid plate, first up was the skid plate mount

and then the skidplate itself. I'm still not sure, but I may attempt to remake a skidplate or modify the stock one. I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet, but I am pretty sure I want something a little different.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    we then setup the sidesteps and electronics deck

and installed the little piece for the receiver wire

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    here's the current overall look of the truck

The esc I am using is the Novak Goat 3S. It's a great esc, but upon more reading I'm thinking the tekin may have proven to be better overall(especially waterproofing). So we will see how things go in that sense. I will only be running 2s at the moment as I'm not intending this to be a speed demon of any sort. But we all know things change quick in this hobby and there's always the never ending quest for more!!

I chose the Futaba 4pl as my radio gear. It has all the features I was looking for and a good bit cheaper then the king of surface radios, the 4pks.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Next thing to be done was the wheels. I was dissapointed that the wheel hexs simply sit in place and do not lightly click in place or anything. Not a big deal while the wheels are on, but a simple annoyance when changing wheels and the hex and pin come off.

The stock wheels still confuse me a bit. Most everything on this truck is very scale to the real thing, but I don't think the wheels match anything that Ford ever had? I have seen a few that are similar but none that are the same. It's not a big deal in anyway, just kinda surprised me. The stock tires at that, are ok at best. They are quite hard but I'm sure I will still put them to use in one way or another.

here's a chassis shot with the wheels on... I was pretty excited at this stage, and I'll admit I drove it for a quick bit!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I knew from the start that I would want some different tires. I was unsure of what wheels to get and although loving all the scale wheels available, I did opt for a cheap set of Pro-Line Titus 1.9 beadlocks. Overall I am very happy with them, the design is nice. The only thing I don't care for, is how it says "proline usa" around the beadlock. Nothing against Proline themselves, but I would prefer them to have no writing at all. I know a fella with a CNC machine, so I may be calling upon his services to make me up a set of beadlocks, or I may just take it upon myself to mod these ones.

For tires, I ventured over to RC4WD and grabbed a set of 1.9 Prowler XS's. I really like the soft compound and the scale looks. I'm very pleased with that purchase and look forward to using them properly.

and a picture of them mounted on the chassis

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Another couple shots of the new wheels

Now is where I'm at a deadend. All the time that I was building and buying parts for the truck, I never bought any paint for the shell.... I know what colours I want but paint in this country is alot harder to get then it should be. So I have some on order and hopefully it arrives next week. I still couldn't resist the urge of mocking up the body though.

Stock wheels

Prowler XS

So this is where I'm at, nearly done! Once the body is done up, I will start some mods and upgrades. I will of course run it as is for a while to get the feel of it. But I'm sure, just the same as all my other rc's, that this will be another never ending project.

Last edited by Tiernan85; 09-23-11 at 5:14 PM.

RC Locations Scout 4WheelBasher's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Visit 4WheelBasher's Youtube Channel
    Wow this is looking awesome great job my friend thumbs up on this rig

Tiernan85 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Visit NoPiston's Youtube Channel
    cool build those wheels/tires look killer on it!

Tiernan85 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Visit gabehunt's Youtube Channel
    nice build up man, i like how you let us see the different steps through the process. nice rig. and what color paint are you doing?

Tiernan85 and doguss55 like this.

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Visit Greenie's Youtube Channel
    MAN!!! SWEET WORK!!! thats awsome man!!!! loven it!!

Tiernan85 likes this.

"Another Clericdv Masterpiece"

Music, gotta be heavy, gotta be loud!

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    Sweden
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Add krankillen on Facebook Visit krankillen's Youtube Channel Visit krankillen's Vimeo Channel
    woow!! I like what I see! two thumbs up you manage to get my attention.

Tiernan85 likes this.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks alot guys! This is the first new kit rc I have done. I love the build process I could probably go for building another one now lol. I know I love seeing pics of peoples stuff, so I'm glad you're enjoying it too! As for what paint I will be using.... that's a secret still lol. But I'm hoping it all turns out nice when I'm done and it will definately be here to see. Soon enough I should have that sorted.

Thanks again,
    Jon

Last edited by Tiernan85; 09-24-11 at 3:26 AM.

Friendly ENFORCER

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Follow Danboard On Twitter Visit Danboard's Youtube Channel
    Yes! Finally I got to see the pics on this thread (Dang iPhone won't let me)!

Awesome build, man! Fantastic photos you provided here in your thread! That sure was very informative!

The rig looks great too, btw!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks Dan, I'm hoping to have a completed truck by next weekend and shoot my first video of this thing. Really looking forward to running it. It's a good thing I'm back to work for the next 6 days. I had a few days off last week and not being able to finish it was really a head wrecker. Paint should be here by tuesday!!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I hate waiting for parts

The paint should arrive tomorrow. If it's nice enough in the evening after work, I will try to get it all painted up. Then I will be happy enough to start running it outside and whatnot. I have a few parcels I'm waiting on also to assist with the build but they are at least a weeks wait away...

I did get one package today for the High Lift! Junfac had a sale on their website a week or two ago, so I picked up a set of their Hardened Universal Shafts for a good price. I probably should have grabbed a couple other things at the time. But in my scale rc newbness, I was reluctant as I had not even got the truck in my hands yet. Now I'm not going to actually fit these bits onto the truck yet as I like the look of the stock ones more. So when the stock ones become unusable, I should have a hefty replacement available

here's a couple pictures.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Phew..... finally done!

Not sure yet about the paint, as it wasn't my initial colour combo and I was also going to do the lot in a matte/flat colour. But even in this short while, it is growing on me and I'm really glad that it's done. I did skip a few "build" steps to get to this part, but after a long 6 day week of work I really just wanted it sorted and the painting and all was done this evening. So this is it right now. Just one picture as I'd prefer to get outside and take some decent pictures. And then it will change again as the new parts and things roll in lol. I love this hobby

Oh yea, the colours are:
    Body - Gunmetal Grey
    Bumpers and accessories - Flat Black

Last edited by Tiernan85; 09-29-11 at 2:46 PM.

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    oh yeah!! that look so tuff dude!!!!!!!
    nice one bro!!!

Tiernan85 likes this.

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Megatoys On Twitter
    So jelouse. Phat build man. I want on soo bad but I dislike the price tag... Good work man !!!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.140089,-122.304989

Tiernan85 likes this.

RC Studio Gopher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add rcnewby on Facebook
    thats a pretty good looking ford even though i am a chevy guy. . .GO TEAM CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

I got out today for a little bit and I had brought the High Lift along with intentions of running it a good bit. In the end it turned into more of a photo shoot and a little bit of running as I was spending some time with my older brother, nephew and niece. This truck was one that he had always wanted too. He's been outta work for quite some time now though so his funds are quite tight. He currently runs an old Tamiya TA02 chassis F150, but this was always his dream as he's a enthusiastic Ford fan to say the least lol. So, he doesn't know yet, but I bought him one of these and it should be here this week! He had a run of mine today and was going on about wanting one so bad and telling his misses that there'll be no food for the next couple weeks haha. So I'm looking forward to being able to give it to him.

There's some really great places to run these scale type rc's here in Ireland and I'm really looking forward to more of it especially with a soon to be partner in crime. So here's a few pictures of the High Lift posing on the west cliffs of Ireland. You'll all likely notice that yep, I forgot to add any decals to the truck There was some footage taken of my first little run so I'll have to see if I can get my hands on it and I'll add it up.

This one is probably my favorite so far.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    continued...

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    aw man thats great of you to do that for your bro man! thats such a cool thing for you to do.
    love your work man!

trucks looks smashing man!!!
    i wouldn't got too over the top with the stickers, love it the way it is!!!!LOL!!!!!

SamsRC4U and Hellboy2283 like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add MXRac3r545 on Facebook Visit MXRac3r545's Youtube Channel
    Wow amazing shots set one as my background but if u ever decide to get another ill give u my address

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Visit muddslinger's Youtube Channel
    sweet build man.great tire and rim choice really makes the truck aswell as the color.nice job

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, glad you liked them

Greenie, the only decals I really want are the Ford oval on the front and perhaps one F-350 on the rear. Not sure if I'll do the 4x4 on the rear sides yet or not. But that would be about it.

MXRac3r545, I'm happy to hear that you liked one of the pictures enough to have as your background!! If you want the full sized image, send me a pm with your email and I'll send it to you.

Thanks
    Jon

Last edited by Tiernan85; 10-03-11 at 5:01 AM.

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ok, another update. The postman came by today and brought along a few little presents for the high lift!

First up are RC4WD shooter shackles. I would have prefered to get them in black, but the place I ordered them from only had them available on the chrome type finish. And because I was able to get a good deal on them, I couldn't be too fussy. I may try painting them black or attempt to get them annodised.

I also bought some of the RC4WD red super soft springs. These, paired with the shackles should give me some better articulation while still maintaining the more scale look. Time will tell. The only thing that I am dissapointed with is the springs seem to all be bent at varying angles??? Can these be easily bent so that they are the same? or is this something I should take up directly with RC4WD? Please advise me folks. They were not purchased direct through RC4WD, it was from TGN.

Last edited by Tiernan85; 10-03-11 at 6:21 AM.

Friendly ENFORCER

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Follow Danboard On Twitter Visit Danboard's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
    continued...

Dang! That looks totally awesome, Bro! Love the blacked-out bumpers, tinted windows and black wheels; it surely gave it a mean look!

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    Sweden
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Add krankillen on Facebook Visit krankillen's Youtube Channel Visit krankillen's Vimeo Channel
    it looks to be in 1:1 scale! so cool!

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
    Greenie, the only decals I really want are the Ford oval on the front and perhaps one F-350 on the rear. Not sure if I'll do the 4x4 on the rear sides yet or not. But that would be about it.
    yeah man!!!! sweet!!!!
    man ever time i look at this truck, it just, WOW!!!

i'd put a mock 4x4 sticker on, just to see. might look good

man love this truck!!! LOL!!!!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Not too much of an update, but I would like to point out and give a BIG thanks to RC4WD!!!!! As I had posted previously and shown again in this picture. I had purchased some of their super soft red leaf springs via TGN. The ones that had arrived where considerably mishaped in comparison to each other and it simply would have lead to a truck that would have sat quite high in one corner and quite low in the other. I had fired RC4WD an email with pictures and had a prompt reply within the hour stating to ship them back. I sent them the following morning and I received another email from them today saying they've sent me another set! Fantastic customer service there especially being as I live in Ireland and waiting for them to receive the ones I've sent and then wait to get the replacements would have taken a good while. So I would like to say Thank you again to the folks at RC4WD for going above and beyond, taking really good care of me, and they'll definately have me spending there again. Rather soon most likely

firefighter3 likes this.

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    customer service at its best!!
    nice to see SOME companys still care

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    small update:

First, yes Greenie, their CS was great and it's much appreciated as it's hard to find these days.

I was looking into getting some realistic looking hubs, obviously RC4WD do some excellent looking ones, but they are quite pricey. So I stumbled upon someones video or something somewhere and had seen that axial do a set of hubs and they were like 4 bucks. So, i grabbed a set. They came in today. Well first thoughts were that they look... ok. None the less went to test fit them and they don't fit lol. At least they were cheap! So I suppose if I'm really wanting to replace the wheel nut for a realistic looking hub nut it will be RC4WD. They are expensive but they do make some damn nice parts!

On a more positive note. I mentioned earlier about getting my brother one of these. I figured I would tell him by linking him to this thread and having him read through it and at the end figuring it out.

So.... Aaron. Hope you enjoyed the read. I bought you a High Lift and it's arrived today, looking forward to trail bashing with you!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Small update time:

My brother was extremely happy with the new truck. He came over right away to see it and collect it lol. We've got all the radio gear and required electronics on route so we're hoping to get out later this coming week to do some driving. I've never filmed any sort of rc's like this so it will be a first for me but I will definately give it a go to show you guys.

As for my own rig, it's not got too much attention the last week as I have been busy with work and blew the engine in the baja so had done a rebuild on my spare for a sand bash this coming week.

I did manage to get my side mirrors sorted though. I didn't want to install them as I've heard/read numerous posts about them breaking off. I read about a simply fix done by cutting them in half and connecting using some fuel tube. I didn't want to use fuel tube as it's a bit bulky so I took some (I think 12g wire), cut to length, stripped the wire from the inside and fitted that instead. It gives great flexibility but still plenty stiff enough to maintain it's original position. A bit of shoe goo on the inside holds it all together without any issues thus far. Here's a few pics.

Last edited by Tiernan85; 10-15-11 at 2:36 PM.

Proud SCX10 Owner

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Visit Magnat007's Youtube Channel
    Awesome Build from an Awesome person.
    The truck looks perfect. One of the Best F-truck builds I have seen.
    I look forward to seeing the Video's of you and your Brother trailing together..
    He should post a build thread of his !!!

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    nice fit on the mirrors, now thats thinking outside the box!!!!!!
    +1 on the vid too!!!!
    can't wait to see it in action.
    good to hear your bro was stoked about the truck!!! nice one!

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks fellas, glad you're enjoying it as much as I am. I got my replacement Super Soft springs from RC4WD today. Again a shout out to them and their customer service and I would happily point you all in their direction for any purchases. Great company!!!

I'm not going to install the springs yet as I have a couple other little things I am going to purchase in order to maximize the suspension travel whilst maintaining the leaf springs and overall geometry. So not much of an update but didn't want to leave the nice comments form you guys without a thanks for tagging along this thread with me. My brother's not really into forums for these rc's but I'll see what I can do about getting him to join as there's alot of good info to be found here.

Jon

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ok, I lied. I wanted to install the new RC4WD Super Soft leaf springs

I wanted to wait with installing the leaf springs until I had some spacers to also mount up the new shackles. But as I was helping my brother finish(or rather watch him finish) his own truck, I also wanted to work on mine and this was a relatively easy thing to complete.

I did find that the loops on the new leaf springs were ever so slightly too wide and so when installing the factory shackles in place, there was minimal binding at certain spots. But a quick buzz with the dremel took care of that.

Here's a few pics of them installed:

RC Set Designer
    Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ...and here it is flexing at what is the current limit of the suspension. In stock form(I don't know why I forgot to take a picture), it would flex about the height of 1-1½ tire(s). It really is poor suspension articultion in stock form. But at the same time, it is very similar to scale. Another thing I also noticed is these springs are really soft(go figure), so the overall ride height has come down a bit, not sure if I'll look to add some other springs or possible a different set of dampers with stronger internal springs or adjustable preload... something else to ponder about I guess. Anyways a few money shots!!!

I think the next thing I want to do apart from a few more suspension mods is raise the transmission. I have seen a few good examples of how this has been done so I've some thinking to do as unfortunately I don't have access to alot of the nice tools/machines that they did. But I will work something out and do my best to keep it looking good so stay tuned

Last edited by Tiernan85; 10-22-11 at 2:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast