+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By RCSparks
  • 1 Post By Baal
  • 4 Post By Danboard
  • 2 Post By Azrayel74
  • 1 Post By Baal
  • 1 Post By Danboard

Thread: Arrgh! I ruined my Tekin FXR ESC!

Friendly ENFORCER

Danboard started this thread.
    Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Follow Danboard On Twitter Visit Danboard's Youtube Channel

Arrgh! I ruined my Tekin FXR ESC!

At the same time...

What a sad morning for me.

I am totally pissed off at myself.

I was doing some waterproofing on my SCX-10. I was just about to finish it off by doing the Plasti-Dip technique on my Tekin FXR.

It worked pretty okay. I got the whole ESC covered nicely in Plasti-Dip. It was perfect!

However, the tape that I used to mask of the LED display window came off prematurely when I was dipping it, so this morning when everything was totally set and dry I tried to cut away the Plasti-Dip that was covering the window and this happened:

I accidentally cut away the LED window itself!

Arrrghh, now my ESC doesn't work anymore. I tried to power it up, but there was no more chime. Two lights would blink at the start, then it's silent. I plugged the motor in to see if maybe the throttle would work, but I get nothing...

Auughh, I could just kick myself!

I think I will sulk in a dark corner for a while.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Photobucket

Click the Banner to come Check Out our Amazing RC Store!
    We Ship World-Wide!

RCSparks Studio Approved!

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Follow RCSparks On Twitter Add RCSparks on Facebook Visit RCSparks's Youtube Channel Visit RCSparks's Vimeo Channel
    If there was no chime my friend.. is it still connected to a motor? That would make the chime not sound.

or if there was an issue with connecting to the Reciver - there would be no chime. Dont worry bro! We will get ya going.. im sure the FXR is A-OK.. it just needs a little TLC (tender lovin' care). Make sure to Still clean off the posts for heat distribution though.. at least a little of them. dont want that little beauty to overheat too!

Since you an I spoke on the phone this morning about your FXR - make sure to do a few of these things.. and report back to us what you are finding. High 5 bro, great to experiement.. and learn these lessons. you may have just helped another person see how important it is to use that little piece of tape over the window for easy removal after its dry.

And just to make ya feel even More normal.. I also did that on my first FXR that i waterproofed! i remember

Soon you'll be a pro at it.. giving little tips!

Baal likes this.
    I put my mobile phone into "airplane mode" and threw it. Worst. Transformer. ...Ever.

Forum Rules - How Do I Post - How Do I Post A Picture - How Do I Join

Click Here To Subscribe! http://bit.ly/JOovvU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add Baal on Facebook
    Thats ether some bad luck you have today or I've been very lucky on each of my attempts

Last edited by Baal; 06-07-11 at 8:43 AM.
    RCSparks likes this.

Friendly ENFORCER

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    SUCCESS!!! IT STILL WORKS!

THANK YOU, MEDIC, FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

So my FXR was still good after all, just like Medic suspected. Although I accidentally removed the plastic window for the LEDs, my FXR was unharmed. All I needed to do was to pull out the instruction sheet of the ESC and reprogram it.

I couldn't remember what sequence of button mashing I did, but I think I pressed the MODE button and held it for a while, then pressed the INC button to see if anything would happen. The lights started working and I was able to move them incrementally.

So as not to accidentally set a setting that I don't want, I turned the ESC off and turned it on again. The chimes that followed was music to my ears!

Now it's a matter of covering up that hole that I made as per Medic's suggestion and I am good to go once again.

So there! And not a moment too soon after posting this that I got Medic's help too!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Medic and RCSparks!

Country
    United States
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Visit Azrayel74's Youtube Channel
    Glad to hear you FXR is alright... i used Medics suggestion and i covered mine in clear silicone so i can see everything still... though i found that NOTHING sticks to the silicone.. not even the ultimate stickum DUCK TAPE... had to find a different workaround for that.. i carefully cut the silcone off the back of my ESC>.. covered it in hot glue and stuck it to my receiver box.. now it doesnt move anywhere..adn still maintains the waterproof seal :-D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add Baal on Facebook
    I also now use clear silicone lol but I then used a tiny bit of silicone to glue the ESC in place to my receiver box(worst case WD40 seems to soften and eat away silicone leaving electronics undamaged)

Last edited by Baal; 06-07-11 at 10:35 AM.
    Danboard likes this.

Super Moderator

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Add 4mods on Facebook Visit 4mods's Youtube Channel
    Yeah I was gonna say it looks good to go, just cover up your new hole! LOL....

This is part of the reason I no longer use plasti dip. Its just to thick for me to work with so I use thin stuff now for waterproofing so I can find all my buttons and such.... Plus now I just do the actual electronic board instead of around the case.

Glad its going though and have fun in that water!

Friendly ENFORCER

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrayel74 View Post
    Glad to hear you FXR is alright... i used Medics suggestion and i covered mine in clear silicone so i can see everything still... though i found that NOTHING sticks to the silicone.. not even the ultimate stickum DUCK TAPE... had to find a different workaround for that.. i carefully cut the silcone off the back of my ESC>.. covered it in hot glue and stuck it to my receiver box.. now it doesnt move anywhere..adn still maintains the waterproof seal :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    I also now use clear silicone lol but I then used a tiny bit of silicone to glue the ESC in place to my receiver box(worst case WD40 seems to soften and eat away silicone leaving electronics undamaged)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mods View Post
    Yeah I was gonna say it looks good to go, just cover up your new hole! LOL....

This is part of the reason I no longer use plasti dip. Its just to thick for me to work with so I use thin stuff now for waterproofing so I can find all my buttons and such.... Plus now I just do the actual electronic board instead of around the case.

Glad its going though and have fun in that water!
    Thanks, guys! I'll probably try some silicone on my next build. But for now, the Plasti-Dip technique seems to be perfect for me.

I can't wait to finish up! I am currently working on trimming the floor pan and interior for the Honcho. As soon as I am done I am going to drive this baby in some mud and water to reap the fruits of my labor!

Baal likes this.

Studio Forums Elite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good to hear it's up and running!

Confucius say: " man who read woman like book often like to read in bed."

Friendly ENFORCER

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boot2yourhead View Post
    Good to hear it's up and running!
    Thanks! If not for Medic, I could have thrown it away and probably would have gone out to buy a new one! Chalk that up to me being a complete Noob (and a dumb on at that too)!

Here's how the ESC looks now:

I cut a strip of plastic from one of those clear plastic folders and used it to close up the hole. I just slathered some more Plasti-Dip on top of it to keep it in place.

Not the best looking work, but I don't care; as long as it is working I am fine with it!

+ Reply to Thread