4mods started this thread.
    Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Add 4mods on Facebook Visit 4mods's Youtube Channel

Yellow NQD Jet boat build

Hey guys, I'm sure a few of you have seen my for now yellow jet boat so I figure I should show you how I have it setup.

First off this boat is running a ABC hobby jetski jet drive. I think its a 19mm impeller.

From the front it looks like this, these are my backup drivers... I run the Yellow helmet guys most, they look better.

The abc drive is suitable for 540 sized motors, I used a 500 heli motor. Its a Turnigy 1800 kv that can run on 6 cell if I want, my drive could not handle that but you know... lol.

I sealed up a Plush 80amp esc to power it, this thing is so smooth its unreal! I don't even bother water cooling this system all, nor the motor. The cooling you see off the pump is just for looks off my the back of the boat.

All installed.

Listen to how smooth this was.. I say was as I let a bud try it and he ate up some shore line 5 seconds after having the radio.. lol, now its not as smooth but still runs great!

I'm sure you have seen this video already but I will plop it in this thread as it shows it off running pretty good.

Any questions all, fire away!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Photobucket

Click the Banner to come Check Out our Amazing RC Store!
    We Ship World-Wide!

RCSparks Studio Approved!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Liked seeing whats under your hood, lol. Just fyi the abc hobby drive is 22mm and better built than the graupner drives, but harder to come by also. I burned up my 60a esc on my abc hobby drive. Will probably go to a 80a or 120a esc next.

4mods likes this.

Super Moderator

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Thank you sir on the impeller size! I totally wasn't sure. I think aiming high for the esc's in this boat is a great thing. Then you don't have to worry so much right!

A Friendly Enforcer

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Follow Dribble On Twitter Add Dribble on Facebook Visit Dribble's Youtube Channel
    Nice to come across this I may have to refer to it as I do my boat lol

4mods likes this.
    RCSparks Studios - A Global Leader in RC Video & Photography

Forum Rules - How Do I Post - How Do I Post A Picture - How Do I Join

RC Production Assist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add SamuelFletcher on Facebook Visit SamuelFletcher's Youtube Channel
    Do yu have to change the jet unit to run a bugger motor in it as im getting given one of these and am wonder what brushless sustem can drop straight in as i dont want to cust anything in hull for new jet unit, Thanks

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    United States
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add aceofaxe on Facebook Visit aceofaxe's Youtube Channel
    Thanks 4Mods, I have tried to avoid this thread!!! But now I think I need a boat! So I will put it on the list with the XR10, Berg, M-05 Mini, Merv, CC-01 Bronco, Micro Crawler, Super Cub and LunchBox! Oh and a few more SCX-10's lol

Last edited by aceofaxe; 10-26-11 at 4:46 AM. Reason: Add more rigs :)
    My YouTube Channel
    Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Im a Schizophrenic and So am I
    Forum Rules - How Do I Post - How Do I Post A Picture - How Do I Join

Visit My Blog!!

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Megatoys On Twitter
    Boats are a blast!!!!!!!

Italian Ambassador

Country
    Italy
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Add Gas319 on Facebook Visit Gas319's Youtube Channel
    cool boat! like like like!!

Super Moderator

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks allot guys! Perhaps this friday if its nice I'll get one out for a rip!

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Visit Greenie's Youtube Channel
    Hey 4mods!!
    how hard was it to mount up the motor in these????
    still happy with that heli motor??
    got mine the other day, and tried it in the spar...... wow, did i laugh my butt off or what!!!! LOL!!!
    so, i'm pretty keen to get a brushless into her. haven't cut into her yet, thought i'd ask some questions first.
    keen to run a known combo in it so not to blow it up LOL!!!!

4mods likes this.

"Another Clericdv Masterpiece"

Music, gotta be heavy, gotta be loud!

Super Moderator

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Its very easy if you take the full jet drive out however it is a bit of work to get it out taking off all the glue and such. It is only 2 screws of course like any other motor and 380 sized motors fit on the stock mount with little or no mods at all.

To be safe find a 30amp PLUS esc watercooled if possible, then add a 3000kv motor (watercooled if you can) as well and you will be shredding some rapids in no time.

The heli setup I have in my boat has worked flawless man, I love this combo... my only problem is a buddy of mine last season ran it ashore and ate some rocks that bent my prop shaft and it is not as great in the rapids as it used to be. It has to be super smooth water if I want to do speed runs or as soon as it pops out of the water I must reduce speed to get the water flowing threw the jet again.

These boats HATE vibration and having a perfectly straight driveline is best. Hope this helps!

Greenie likes this.

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    THANKS HEAPS MAN!!!
    cool now i know what to hunt for. cant wait to get a REAL motor and REAL servo in it!!! LOL!!!
    30amp PLUS esc watercooled if possible, then add a 3000kv motor (watercooled if you can)
    sweet!!! i'll be hitting up the Hong Kong boys for a deal!!!
    (LHS only had ONE, ONLY ONE brushed 10.5t motor in stock, nothing else)

thanks heaps again bro!!!!!

4mods likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    (LHS only had ONE, ONLY ONE brushed 10.5t motor in stock, nothing else)

thanks heaps again bro!!!!!
    OMG only 1 brushed motor ..... id be slappin him....... (not really but i would tel him i would) ....

Greenie likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    question .... is that the stock impeller drive? i havent been able to hold one of these in my hand yet ... only the pics via the web ... ive been tempted but i was worried about the stock driveline holding up i was intending to use a hyperion 3600kv and a 60amp turnigy (coz i have a couple from a bulk order) ... if the stock one is up to scratch i will grab a few and mould n remake the hull in fiberglass .. another to add to the collection my better half is gonna want new shoes or something.....

4mods likes this.

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imjimbo View Post
    OMG only 1 brushed motor ..... id be slappin him....... (not really but i would tel him i would) ....
    oh man have i tried............................................. .

an they wonder why so many people from the club buy online.......

imjimbo likes this.

Studio Forums Elite

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Megatoys On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by imjimbo View Post
    question .... is that the stock impeller drive? i havent been able to hold one of these in my hand yet ... only the pics via the web ... ive been tempted but i was worried about the stock driveline holding up i was intending to use a hyperion 3600kv and a 60amp turnigy (coz i have a couple from a bulk order) ... if the stock one is up to scratch i will grab a few and mould n remake the hull in fiberglass .. another to add to the collection my better half is gonna want new shoes or something.....
    I run a traxxas VXL 380 in mine with a turnigy 35a ESC and it had A TONN OF BALLS. But after about 3/4 throttle it makes no more power then if u hit 100% throttle. Just more noise cause that little 23mm impeller can only suck up so much water... Like that's nearly 63,000 rpm and full power. Kinda rediculas. But on 2s it works perfectly. Stock drives are pretty tough!

4mods likes this.

Super Moderator

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yeah Jimbo, stock driveline works awesome in the stock boats for sure. This drive is out of one of those jetski boats though and has a larger impeller. Thanks!

imjimbo likes this.

RC Set Designer

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add scoobyblue on Facebook Visit scoobyblue's Youtube Channel
    Hey bud nice build. Is this nqd boat plastic or glass man. I ask as I have a nqd 40inch admiral with twin 550s and its stok toy trx rx do u think it would br hard to give it a do ova. Ill show u a pik. This is after she went diven lol it steers via the 2 motoors and has no rudder servo. I got it for giggles but I shoved a 9.9 v in her and she went off and then went diven lol. Im new to rc boats and love them as much as scale trucks. So any advice guys would be appreciated very much.
    Id like to keep it twin prop. And go twin brushless. But wana stik to the cost efective side, ive been lookn at turnigy boat esc and brushless marine motors from hobbyking?

rc is no hobby its a disease

Last edited by scoobyblue; 03-27-12 at 1:36 AM.
    Bl2000s10 likes this.

RC Studio Gopher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NQD Tear Into Jet Boat Mod

Hi,

I saw your post on the moded NQD Boat. I have one and have completely gutted it and removed everything out and off of it. I boght a Water Cooled Birdie 50A ESC, A Water Cooled 4800KV Brushless Inrunner Motor, a 9G servo, New 3 Channel Receiver 2.4Ghz. After reading a bunch of posts and threads on others mods I am worried that I may have gone a little over kill on the Motor. I have read that if I spin the Jet/Prop to fast it can break or the boat just cavitates. I was wondering what you think I should run as far as a battery with this setup if I indeed need to tone down the motor. I fly planes and have a bunch of different batteries. I have everything from a 1300-MAH-20C-11.1V up to 4000-MAH-4C-14.8V. I am thinking I need to run the 11.1V. I'm also worried about sealing everything. What did you use to glue/install parts. I have 2 different types of RTV high tempature water proof silicone/gasket sealer. I would appreciate any and all of your thoughts and input. All of my parts are in and I wanted to put it toghter this weekend.

Thanks,

Moose

VillAge iDioT

Country
    Australia
    Images
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    wow, that is a heavy duty motor for sure!!!

I'd even try starting off with a 2s LiPo if you can, just to see, then you can always step it up.
    I used Shoe Goo to water tight mine, but a RTV could work, i havent used it like that before, but all in all, it should work.

once all the silicone is set, and before installing all the spark, float test it. big tub of water, and push the boat as deep as you can, with out sinking it of course, and the extra pressure should point out any leaks. (push just the prop and shaft, into the jet drive tho)

RC Production Assist
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Visit mypuppers's Youtube Channel
    hey mods. love the set up in your jet boat . mine is pretty modest . i use the stock jet unit with a small 28mm x 47mm 4200 kv motor. i dropped in a 30 amp esc and standard futaba servo. i water cooled esc and motor . had to make a coupler for it , as i couldn't find one on e bay. she is now smooth and vibe free. it goes pretty good on this set up. not supper fast but still way better than it was out of the box. lol!

4mods, Cataman and Greenie like this.

RC Studio Gopher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The drives are pretty close in size I think the graupner one might even be slightly smaller in parts but uses a 540 can motor mount.
    yeah, I thought so as well, but I guess its a slower motor for the higher kv. I dunno really.. lol.
    Regards Colin Hanks.

RC Studio Gopher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Visit morety324's Youtube Channel
    Just found this thred today lol. I have two of these boats and I am looking for a jet drive. My setup is almost exactly what the Moose has. These boats are pretty fun and run fairly fast. Is there a jet drive that will handle a 4800 kv motor??? The stock one works but at high revs it will sometimes loose suction in the drive (not sure I spet that right lol). I like to get both boats going this spring and do some water bashing. Any suggestions will be appreaciated.

RC Studio Gopher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey scooby did you ever find a brushless twin system for your boat. If so what did you go with. I have one of these boat and a cabin sytle boat to. use them for fishing with lol lol they work pretty good for fishing.

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Visit Tiernan85's Youtube Channel
    Stock jet drive should handle that motor without any problems as long as you're running 2s lipo, it's still a little high on the kv, but should work. Set your impeller as close to the stator as possible to help reduce any cavitation, but I suppose on full throttle you may still lose prime. If you're on 3s, it's just WAY too much rpm.

4mods likes this.

RC Studio Gopher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anybody have any suggestion on stopping leakage in these boat. I have tried shoe goo and plastic dip, several layers. Seems to be leaking from the left side of jet as u look at it from the front of the boat. I have used plastic dip around the bottom of boat to but can stop leak inside.

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I used shoe goo for everything. Shoe goo will have a better hold than the plastidip. I did a thin bead around the whole jet when installing it and than ran a thin bead around the underneath and smoothed it out while it was malleable. I also ran a bead around the stator when installing it. I still get minimal amounts of water in from somewhere but it's literally only a few drops and I can run 4 batts without having to worry about it.

4mods likes this.

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Add MrRcFanatik on Facebook Visit MrRcFanatik's Youtube Channel
    @morety324 - If the shoe goo isn't working for you, you could remove the drive, clean all the goop off it, and then re-install it and seal it up with epoxy. Might help some. Frankly, shoe goo should do the trick for ya though! Try putting the boat into the bathtub and pushing it into the water - not so that it goes under, but just enough that it puts pressure on the drive... then you might be able to pin-point the exact area of the leak so you can fix it.
    Good luck!

4mods, Greenie, Tiernan85 and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator

Country
    Canada
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Or, fill your boat from the inside and watch the outside. I did this once to find the leak.

At the end of the video I show the bottom of my boat with a mod I tried to scoop up water better.... not sure it helped at all.. lol. A smooth straight driveline is the key to good results with these boats that is for sure.

Bl2000s10 likes this.

RC Set Designer

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Yellow NQD Jet boat build

Guys these are awsome. Great work. Im currently doing the brushless conversion now. But have a big problem. I got it all filled up and hit the throttle, and the prop shaft vibrated and then bent. So bad it wore out the prop fins and damaged the jet drive. In one hit. So i figure i need a new jet drive unit. Can anyone point me in the write direction to find the parts for this.? Please help me guys.
    I used a 1/16 erevo brushless system in it. Same as crawler ted.
    I jus got the boat an its never seen the water yet. So bummed out over it so if anoy one can help. Please do.
    Cheers

Greenie likes this.

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I had a similar problem with my stock bits, but fortunately for me I was able to work it out before I did any damage.

Being that you're in Australia, you're in luck as there's a fella on ebay(SicRC) who has some great modded jetdrives and spare parts. I think he does a package with a modded jetdrive and aftermarket flexishaft and coupler. All absolutely great parts from stock and will reduce the chance of vibrations to litterally nothing.

Here's his site: http://stores.ebay.ie/SicRC

I don't actually see any modded jet's on his site, but fire him a message and I'm sure he'll sort you out or just buy them seperate and you can do it yourself with these two items.

Mod Kit to suit NQD Tear Into Jet Unit | eBay
    NQD Tear Into Stock Jet Unit 757 6024 | eBay

RC Set Designer

Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Yellow NQD Jet boat build

Cheers man. Had a good looksy around an stumbled on a guy that also does the same mod. And so far so good. When i bought the new jet drive he also included a pre set sleeve for me. To siut my motor shaft. A new prop, new flexi shaft. Spare brass sleeve. A new nozzle with a water cooling mod. And also stainless steel slide bars to replace the original plastis ones. I was blown away.
    Ebay. Ondabeach he calls himself. Sell hulls, and lots more. Top guy.
    Ill be throwing up some pics soon. Its a lil messy right now lol. Blue silicone all over the place like a mad womans breakfast.
    But thanks man also. Ill be keepn in contact with sicrc as well.

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Haha, Ondabeach is SicRC! SicRC is his ebay store, ondabeach is his username. None the less, you found the right guy and it's good to see he was able to help you out!

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also did the 4800kv water cooled motor and the birdie 50a water cooled esc with 5000mah 11.1v 25c lipo and motor cuts out at full throttle under load. Any helpful hints for full throttle running? Or I can tell you guys what I programmed the esc to and can any one tell me if that's my problem?

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've not run that esc, but I've heard some mixed reviews about it's reliability from others who have.

What motor are you running?

A few things to note with that setup:

On 3s, your rpms are going to be way to high. That high of kv should be run on a 2s with these jets. With the rpms you're hitting it's just going to cause the jet to cavitate/loose prime. I'm thinking that possibly you're pulling more amps with that setup than the esc can handle? Only just a thought.

I run a 3400kv 2040 motor on 3s and that gives me about the maximum usable rpms. Usually folks running that high of kv would be running on 2s

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok I will try 2c 7.4. My buddy did same set up but with smaller wire. His runs fine but wires get realy hot and start to melt. Thanks for the help.

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I tried the 2c lipo with same results. Could wiring be the issue? I used some standard automotive 9gauge wire I had laying around, that should be plenty big enough right?

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sry 14g wire

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Are the wires really hot when it cuts out? Do you have any links to the motor you are using? It sounds like your esc is overheating. Do you have any watercooling setup for it?

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yes motor and esc r water cooledgoing to change motors, im going to try a 50a birdie esc, 4900kv hacker motor, and 2200mah 3s. Need to wrap motor with copper tube for cooling, because this one is not water cooled.

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2040SL 4800kv Brushless Inrunner (WaterCooled) (USA Warehouse) Here is motor link. Yeah his would cut out when it got hot, mine wouldnt get hot because it cuts out at full throttle all the time.

Last edited by Bl2000s10; 03-31-13 at 10:44 PM.

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm not too sure on that one then. I can only think
    think it's an esc issue. See what happens with the
    new motor. Although as i mentioned that high of
    kv is way too much on 3s, probably over 50k
    rpm and anything over about 30k is just gonna
    make extra noise.

Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks i will look for a 2s. I will try this out and see what happens when she is back together.

DTB
    Country
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Follow DTB On Twitter
    I just bought one of these boats last night, this has been very helpful to me as I will be going brushless almost straight away (will have to go have a little play first so I know just how bad it is before I start) I have a few little brushless combos in the drawer from my pre hop ups on my old losi mini 8ight. I can make a motor cooler wrap from some bunded tube and a esc slab from a drilled bit of 10mm alloy plate if I find its going to need cooling.
    I don't want it to be super fast for long spells, just need short bursts to be able to do short rapid spurts to weave its way upstream. I have a little 17" proboat running brushless on 3s lipo to fulfill my need for speed on water. @4mods its your fault I'm now getting into this jet boat, I watched your vids on YouTube and was hooked lol.

4mods likes this.

Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Build me one :P

RC Studio Gopher
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

Just ordered my NQD boat, now I need to order the goodies to go inside, there is a pile of info about it on-line but to be honest I am still very unsure of what to buy, I am fairly new to the rc world but I've been bitten hard, just went nuts building a kit wraith, now this is my new obsession, I really like the getting it built and looking cool process, neat way to waste the night away while the wife watches the Bachelor (BArf) Anyhow, whats a decent setup for this boat, not crazy in cost. Give me a list of everything i need, I would like it to be powerful enough to surf the rapids!
    Thanks all !

Country
    Ireland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here's a quick list of some good items I'm using. You may be able to find similar stuff locally. I don't think everything that I link to is in stock either but it gives you a good idea of where to start. I use a bunch of it myself on my boat.

The battery you choose to use will play a part in what items you will want to get. Most use a 2200mah 3s lipo as they are a common size and many including myself use them in other things. But obviously you're not restricted to them.

For the motor, this is where your battery choice comes into play.
    3s lipo - a motor between 2900kv-3400kv would be suitable
    2s lipo - you will want to increase to about 4400kv-4800kv

I run a 2040 size motor(20mm diameter and 40mm length), but I know others that run upto 36mm diameter motors. If you are running a smaller motor as I am, you will definitely want to connect some water cooling to it. I know of others that use the brushless motor/esc out of the mini 1/16 vehicles.

This is the motor I'm running - Keda 20-40-28L Inrunner Brushless Motor - 20mm Inrunner - Inrunner brushless motor - Brushless Motor - Giant Shark

ESC - stock only in UK warehouse - Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking?
    It's a great little esc. I've had the same in my boat for a long time. My boat has sunk and being submerged more times than a boat should but this ESC keeps going without a hiccup. I haven't done any additional waterproofing either.

Water cooling can be essential depending on your set, and really doesn't hurt to have even if it may not be needed. A cooling jacket can come in many forms and can even be made yourself.

Here again is the one I'm using(not in stock). And there's other sizes to suit larger motors - Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking?

You will also then require some fuel tube, any standard fuel tube for a 1/5 rc works perfect.

Depending on how clean you want your build, you can get a water outlet to fit to your boat or you can simply have the fuel tube poke out by itself.
    Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking?

You will also need a servo, I use a small 9 gram servo and it's never given me trouble. Plenty to choose from but here again is a dirt cheap option. Note with this, you would want to waterproof it.
    Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking?

I run a traxxas waterproof receiver box in mine too, it's a simple way of keeping your receiver dry.

I think that's about it. I know it's kinda vague in a way, but again it depends what you have available to yourself, where you're buying from, and also what batteries you plan to run in it. I'll happily help more if I can.

Jon

+ Reply to Thread