1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arrgh! I ruined my Tekin FXR ESC!

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by Danboard, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

:pissedoff:
    At the same time...
    :tttt:

What a sad morning for me.

I am totally pissed off at myself.

I was doing some waterproofing on my SCX-10. I was just about to finish it off by doing the Plasti-Dip technique on my Tekin FXR.

It worked pretty okay. I got the whole ESC covered nicely in Plasti-Dip. It was perfect!

However, the tape that I used to mask of the LED display window came off prematurely when I was dipping it, so this morning when everything was totally set and dry I tried to cut away the Plasti-Dip that was covering the window and this happened:

[​IMG]

I accidentally cut away the LED window itself!

Arrrghh, now my ESC doesn't work anymore. I tried to power it up, but there was no more chime. Two lights would blink at the start, then it's silent. I plugged the motor in to see if maybe the throttle would work, but I get nothing...

Auughh, I could just kick myself!

I think I will sulk in a dark corner for a while.
    :dark mood:

2. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    ADMiNiSTRAToR

Media:
    If there was no chime my friend.. is it still connected to a motor? That would make the chime not sound.

or if there was an issue with connecting to the Reciver - there would be no chime. Dont worry bro! We will get ya going.. im sure the FXR is A-OK.. it just needs a little TLC (tender lovin' care). Make sure to Still clean off the posts for heat distribution though.. at least a little of them. dont want that little beauty to overheat too!

Since you an I spoke on the phone this morning about your FXR - make sure to do a few of these things.. and report back to us what you are finding. High 5 bro, great to experiement.. and learn these lessons. you may have just helped another person see how important it is to use that little piece of tape over the window for easy removal after its dry.

And just to make ya feel even More normal.. I also did that on my first FXR that i waterproofed! i remember :)

Soon you'll be a pro at it.. giving little tips!

3. Baal

Baal New Member

Thats ether some bad luck you have today or I've been very lucky on each of my attempts

#3 Baal, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

SUCCESS!!! IT STILL WORKS!

THANK YOU, MEDIC, FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

So my FXR was still good after all, just like Medic suspected. Although I accidentally removed the plastic window for the LEDs, my FXR was unharmed. All I needed to do was to pull out the instruction sheet of the ESC and reprogram it.

I couldn't remember what sequence of button mashing I did, but I think I pressed the MODE button and held it for a while, then pressed the INC button to see if anything would happen. The lights started working and I was able to move them incrementally.

So as not to accidentally set a setting that I don't want, I turned the ESC off and turned it on again. The chimes that followed was music to my ears!

Now it's a matter of covering up that hole that I made as per Medic's suggestion and I am good to go once again.

So there! And not a moment too soon after posting this that I got Medic's help too!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Medic and RCSparks!

:haveaniceday:

5. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Glad to hear you FXR is alright... i used Medics suggestion and i covered mine in clear silicone so i can see everything still... though i found that NOTHING sticks to the silicone.. not even the ultimate stickum DUCK TAPE... had to find a different workaround for that.. i carefully cut the silcone off the back of my ESC>.. covered it in hot glue and stuck it to my receiver box.. now it doesnt move anywhere..adn still maintains the waterproof seal :-D

6. Baal

Baal New Member

I also now use clear silicone lol but I then used a tiny bit of silicone to glue the ESC in place to my receiver box(worst case WD40 seems to soften and eat away silicone leaving electronics undamaged)

#6 Baal, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  7. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah I was gonna say it looks good to go, just cover up your new hole! LOL....

This is part of the reason I no longer use plasti dip. Its just to thick for me to work with so I use thin stuff now for waterproofing so I can find all my buttons and such.... Plus now I just do the actual electronic board instead of around the case.

Glad its going though and have fun in that water!

8. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, guys! I'll probably try some silicone on my next build. But for now, the Plasti-Dip technique seems to be perfect for me.

I can't wait to finish up! I am currently working on trimming the floor pan and interior for the Honcho. As soon as I am done I am going to drive this baby in some mud and water to reap the fruits of my labor!
    :haveaniceday:

9. Boot2yourhead

Boot2yourhead Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Good to hear it's up and running!

10. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks! If not for Medic, I could have thrown it away and probably would have gone out to buy a new one! Chalk that up to me being a complete Noob (and a dumb on at that too)!

Here's how the ESC looks now:

[​IMG]

I cut a strip of plastic from one of those clear plastic folders and used it to close up the hole. I just slathered some more Plasti-Dip on top of it to keep it in place.

Not the best looking work, but I don't care; as long as it is working I am fine with it!