1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAMIYA Ford F-350 High-Lift Build/Project Thread

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Tiernan85, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

Hello all, this thread is basicly going to be a picture heavy build and project thread for my new Tamiya F-350. I'm nearly done the build already, but I had documented the step by step process along the way before joining up here. Now the start may seem like a tutorial nearly, but it's nothing like that, just simply following the build up process. So I will post up to where I am at currently with a little blurb along the way.

I hope you all enjoy!

Jon.

Starting off then will be the build of the stock truck in it's step by step process. The only thing I switced straight away was to use bearings from Avid RC rather then the supplied bushings.

First thing to do is assemble Gear Shaft A
    [​IMG]

Gear Shaft B is then assembled
    [​IMG]

and then we move to assemble Gear Plate A and the Shift Rod
    [​IMG]

We can then join the gear plate and gear shafts together, and add Gear Plate B to form the 3 speed transmission. I opted to use Lucas Oil Red n Tacky grease rather then the supplied stuff as I use it in all my rc's.
    [​IMG]

2. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

Next up is attaching the plastic gearbox housing
    [​IMG]

and then the final gear and gear cover go into place. I have seen other builds that utilise a different gear plate which goes off to the side rather then straight down thus allowing more clearance underneath. This is something I may look into in the future.
    [​IMG]

Up next is to assemble and install the Spur Gear and Slipper Clutch. It seems an ok setup, but I'm open for feedback if others use something else.
    [​IMG]

and we top this section off by adding the gear cover and motor. I will look to modify/upgrade the gear cover as it's not very easily accessible for changing motors etc. I am also currently running the stock motor, but I have some others on route to mess around with.
    [​IMG]

3. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

Next up is attaching the gear box to the frame rails
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then adding in the front and rear supports
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

We then add to the chassis the leaf spring mounts.
    [​IMG]

and the damper shock mounts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then just a quick look of how it's sitting at the moment
    [​IMG]

5. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

We then move onto building the differential gears
    [​IMG]

and I load it up with grease, again using the Red n Tacky stuff.
    [​IMG]

and add on the cover
    [​IMG]

Once that is done, we install the diff shafts into the differential and place it all into the axle. At this stage I did opt to install the grub screws in both diffs to lock them.
    [​IMG]

6. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

I then installed the other side of the axle. I have looked into alloy alternatives but at this stage don't see them neccesary so I will wait until the time comes.
    [​IMG]

The next step was simply adding the diff covers which really add to the look of the axle.
    [​IMG]

and then installing the steering rods and knuckles. Now the knuckles are something I would normally change to alloy. For now they are stock until the break and alloy ones will be on route shortly enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, I have more to add, but it's dinner time now so I'll be back later!

7. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

That was quite a long dinner break lol.

Moving on though. The next item to put together was the leaf springs. I've already messed around with multiple combinations with these to see what I like best and I'd say as most people who own one of these know, they are all quite stiff. I snapped this pic of one way I was trying, but currently am running with only springs A and E. I have some RC4WD super soft red springs on route now along with shooter shackles as I want to keep the scale geometry but enhance the articulation a bit more.
    [​IMG]

Here's them mounted on the axle.
    [​IMG]

and a couple snapshots of them on the chassis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

a few more chassis shots of its current state.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

The next stage of the build was the shocks. I was definately skeptical on them using grease only and no oil, but once completed I was impressed with the simplicity of the setup, the actual function, and the overall feel of quality and durability. With that still being said, a proper set of shocks is likely to end up on the truck in the near future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next we are brought to the front bumper. I'm not dissapointed with it, but I'm not over the moon about it either. I have looked at a few other mods and options for front bumpers so this again is something likely to change in time. But for now, it will do the job.
    [​IMG]

We then have the rear body mounts, nothing too fancy here but part of the truck none the less!
    [​IMG]

10. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

These next shots are some of the bits now mounted to the truck. First up is the front bumper.
    [​IMG]

and the shocks/dampers.
    [​IMG]

and another overall truck shot.
    [​IMG]

Next up is the servos, I went with two Hitecs as generally I have had good experiences with them in my other rc's. I'm using a HS-5645MG for steering and a HS-645MG to control the transmission. One thing I messed up on there was running one digital and one analog servo... as I would prefer to run all digital servos. Fortunately I was able to get them at a good price so may opt to change the analog servo out in time.
    [​IMG]

11. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

This brings us then to the shift rod and the steering rod. Simple enough.
    [​IMG]

Shifting servo installed
    [​IMG]

Steering servo installed. Now while this location does do well to serve as a single servo that can control both front and rear steer. I don't plan on utilising that function anytime soon. None the less I did still locate it in the stock position until I find the best option for me with relocating the steering servo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

Here we have the front and rear steering components(?) I'm not really sure what they would be called lol. They are basicly a middle man, we could do without them to get the job done quicker, but they do a good job and it's not worth the hassle at the moment to go without them lol. I initially mounted both mine up, but have since taken the rear off.
    [​IMG]

These will be the steering rods from the servo to the "middle men"
    [​IMG]

and again a shot of the steering set up from the servo.
    [​IMG]

The rear is held in place by two linkages, it does the job, but I can see myself upgrading either the hubs or the whole axle to eliminate the need for these parts. Until then, as a scale rc noob, they will remain.
    [​IMG]

13. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

I then skipped a couple steps like the on/off switch box. I will likely use it but it will be modded with a waterproof switch. My switch is currently placed on the side of the chassis, but the switch will be changed and location changed also. I also did not install the battery tray as I'll be running lipos. These will be located under the truck bed as I'm assuming most users do.
    [​IMG]

I then installed the skid plate, first up was the skid plate mount
    [​IMG]

and then the skidplate itself. I'm still not sure, but I may attempt to remake a skidplate or modify the stock one. I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet, but I am pretty sure I want something a little different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

we then setup the sidesteps and electronics deck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and installed the little piece for the receiver wire
    [​IMG]

15. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

here's the current overall look of the truck
    [​IMG]

The esc I am using is the Novak Goat 3S. It's a great esc, but upon more reading I'm thinking the tekin may have proven to be better overall(especially waterproofing). So we will see how things go in that sense. I will only be running 2s at the moment as I'm not intending this to be a speed demon of any sort. But we all know things change quick in this hobby and there's always the never ending quest for more!!
    [​IMG]

I chose the Futaba 4pl as my radio gear. It has all the features I was looking for and a good bit cheaper then the king of surface radios, the 4pks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

Next thing to be done was the wheels. I was dissapointed that the wheel hexs simply sit in place and do not lightly click in place or anything. Not a big deal while the wheels are on, but a simple annoyance when changing wheels and the hex and pin come off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The stock wheels still confuse me a bit. Most everything on this truck is very scale to the real thing, but I don't think the wheels match anything that Ford ever had? I have seen a few that are similar but none that are the same. It's not a big deal in anyway, just kinda surprised me. The stock tires at that, are ok at best. They are quite hard but I'm sure I will still put them to use in one way or another.
    [​IMG]

here's a chassis shot with the wheels on... I was pretty excited at this stage, and I'll admit I drove it for a quick bit!
    [​IMG]

17. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

I knew from the start that I would want some different tires. I was unsure of what wheels to get and although loving all the scale wheels available, I did opt for a cheap set of Pro-Line Titus 1.9 beadlocks. Overall I am very happy with them, the design is nice. The only thing I don't care for, is how it says "proline usa" around the beadlock. Nothing against Proline themselves, but I would prefer them to have no writing at all. I know a fella with a CNC machine, so I may be calling upon his services to make me up a set of beadlocks, or I may just take it upon myself to mod these ones.
    [​IMG]

For tires, I ventured over to RC4WD and grabbed a set of 1.9 Prowler XS's. I really like the soft compound and the scale looks. I'm very pleased with that purchase and look forward to using them properly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a picture of them mounted on the chassis
    [​IMG]

18. Tiernan85

Tiernan85
    Expand Collapse

Another couple shots of the new wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now is where I'm at a deadend. All the time that I was building and buying parts for the truck, I never bought any paint for the shell.... I know what colours I want but paint in this country is alot harder to get then it should be. So I have some on order and hopefully it arrives next week. I still couldn't resist the urge of mocking up the body though.

Stock wheels
    [​IMG]

Prowler XS
    [​IMG]

So this is where I'm at, nearly done! Once the body is done up, I will start some mods and upgrades. I will of course run it as is for a while to get the feel of it. But I'm sure, just the same as all my other rc's, that this will be another never ending project.

#18 Tiernan85, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. 4WheelBasher

4WheelBasher
    Expand Collapse

Wow this is looking awesome great job my friend thumbs up on this rig:haveaniceday:

20. NoPiston

NoPiston
    Expand Collapse

cool build those wheels/tires look killer on it!