1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glue or beadlocks ?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by soup, Feb 11, 2017.

1. soup
    Instant PM

soup Well-Known Member

Hi guys me again (told you I'd be asking lots of questions).

Just glued my tyres . Not a bad job if I do say so myself but it would still be a lot easier if I could use beadlocks .
    Have heard/read/seen various opinions on the 'net that beadlocks are better for high torque whilst also seeing others that gluing is best for high torque was wondering which is best for an Axial YetiXL ,driven pretty much as a basher/trail runner rather than a rock RACEer? As I have already glued my tyres and I am not the richest chap in the world, though I could spring for new wheels I just wouldn't tell the wife, would it be worth getting a set of beadlocks with tyres ?

Mark Liersch likes this.
  2. Dazed
    Instant PM

Dazed Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I prefer sealed aluminum beadlocks on my trail trucks because they are regularly in water and wet tire foams are a nasty smelly mess. Also the extra weight on the corners makes them a lot more stable and, of course, there are a lot more and (in my opinion) better looking options in aluminum. But for my bashers I still run the stock plastic vented wheels with glued tires because they are a lot lighter and they accelerate better without the extra weight.

Mark Liersch likes this.
  3. Mark Liersch
    Instant PM

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    As a scale/trail guy, all my rims are metal, and all are bead lock. The metal whether it be steel or aluminum, adds down low weight to lower your CG. And the beadlock aspect of it allows me to swap tires and rims between rigs, for running in different conditions. As a Scot (I am half Scot), there is the money saving side that is to be admired...one set of rims can be made to work with multiple sets of tires...

4. Mark Liersch
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    But after all that is said, it will all boil down to personal preference, and pocketbook...

5. soup
    Instant PM

soup Well-Known Member

We are not all tight g*&s, just 99.999% (proper use of five nines FTW) of us. :O)

Mark Liersch likes this.
  6. Mark Liersch
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    LMAO...sorry, but I was just trying to keep you in the good Graces with your wife. You can show her one set of shiny rims and be able to run six different sets of tires. Financial prudence. It'll make her happy, and she'll tell you to run out and buy yourself that new RC you want. See?
    :Grin:

soup likes this.
  7. soup
    Instant PM

soup Well-Known Member

Yeah rite, oh look there's another squadron of pigs. :O)

Mark Liersch likes this.
  8. Mark Liersch
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  9. Mark Liersch
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hey. I've been married near 20 years. I will try EVERY conceivable angle...I think she'd be disappointed if I didn't. Seldom successful,but when I am, I consider it a great victory...and run like hell to the hobby store to get my shiny stuff...

soup and walter like this.
  10. soup
    Instant PM

soup Well-Known Member

Well glued the set I have (first one was a BRRRRRILIANT job, second one was a complete cluster*&^%: good job theYeti XL has five tyres and wheels) but I am still uhming and ahhing about getting a second set of wheels (beadlocks this time) along with tyres to go with them.
    Just hope Mrs soup believes my story about "I need them because ... reasons".

Mark Liersch likes this.
  11. Magnat007
    Instant PM

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I prefer beadlocks. They are easier to replace when the tire pops a bead.. Glue sometimes give out when in mud and hot weather..

12. Mark Liersch
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You'll be fine...she's put up with ya this long, right? And am I to guess, that you being a Scot, with the nickname "Soup" , that your last name might be Campbell?

13. soup
    Instant PM

soup Well-Known Member

Nope. Long story follows :-

I used to work in a hotel (food and beverage conttroller) one day I wandered into the kitchens and had a bowl of soup I said "this tastes weird is there cheese in it ?" so from then on when the young team was larking about they would call me cheesesoup.
    Many years later I needed a login name for some website or other I used cheesesoup as I (at the time) didn't think it existed and would be easy to remember but hard for others to guess
    then another couple of years later I needed a login name for a chat (IRC) site. tried cheesesoup but it only wanted names of nine characters I didn't really fancy cheezsoup so soup I became.
    Since then have used cheezsoup for lots of things but basically I am soup.

Actual second name is one made up by my greatgrandad who was called Caughey but as he was chased out of NI by the black and tans (he was not that naughty a boy just tarred with the group he ran with), decided to change his name and have no contact with NI. By the time my grandad had married and moved to Pumpherston the family name was Caulfield
    There is a Caulfield Castle in Ireland and a Caulfield county (plays football in Australia [pools in the off-season])

Mark Liersch likes this.
  14. Mark Liersch
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Not a long story, friend, but a short saga... No, man. I worked with a fella two decades ago, who was a Scot, with the last name Campbell, who was known as "Soup"... As in "Campbell's Soup"... So I thought maybe...

15. G-RACER5150
    Instant PM

G-RACER5150 Active Member

You will definitely notice the difference.Metal beadlocks all the way when you can afford them ofcourse.

Mark Liersch likes this.