1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how are they: Quadcopter.

Discussion in 'Multi-Rotor' started by Jackedman, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

Im thinking of buying a quadcopter but just want to know if theres anything i should be aware of. are they hard to fly??

2. Giggawattz

Giggawattz
    Expand Collapse
    Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm a complete helicopter noob (other than computer combat heli sims in my youth) and I am loving our new Blade mQX quadcopter. If you are into filming POV style, you may want to look at the AR Drone 2.0 for a simpler introduction to quads. I made a couple of videos (with more to come) if you wanna check them out... they are here:

http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/quad-rotor/18945-blade-mqx-ar-drone-2-0-a.html

3. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

thanks im still up in the air if i want to make one or not they look like fun to use. ill have to do more research on them and go from there

4. Chunder

Chunder
    Expand Collapse
    Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Difficulty depends on the model. Some are very easy with ridiculous amounts of stabilization built in, some are a good bit more tricky.

It also depends on size you're looking for, and what you want to do with it. Do you want it for stunts, or for a camera platform?

If you're looking for a small indoors one, or one to learn on, get the RC EYE Logger. I have one and it's amazing, with multiple sensitivity settings. On the two easier modes, it's a kitten, but on as I call it the ANGRY mode, it rips around.
    [video=youtube;AYW65e474ww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYW65e474ww[/video]
    It's the only tiny one I've seen using a 2 cell lipo instead of a 1s, and it's the cheapest one I've seen yet.

We had 20 in our store and they sold out in under 2 days. They're great to learn on.

Now if you get something bigger, say like the DJI F550 with a Naza and GPS setup, it can almost fly itself. But you're looking at a LOT more coin.

5. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

wow that thing really moves. Ill have to look into that one. I do like the sound of it taking a 2s insted of a 1s and for that price you cant go wrong. as for the bigger quad i was looking at making a 450mm one like the dji f450 but the hobbycity one and it would be with the kk2 board.

6. Giggawattz

Giggawattz
    Expand Collapse
    Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for that post Chunder, I have never heard of nor seen that one... looks interesting. mQX has me hooked on flying at the moment.

7. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

ya i agree with you ive never heard of that brand

8. Chunder

Chunder
    Expand Collapse
    Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

They're mainly known for their telemetry setups and FPV gear (which I also have) and they're putting out various quadcopters.

They've just announced the newer version of the EYE One, it's brushless and can easily cary their FPV setups and it's only a tiny bit larger.

9. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

do you know when thats coming out?? and will it be much more then the current one?? For a quadcopter for under a 100.00 is awesome

10. Chunder

Chunder
    Expand Collapse
    Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

It just got announced, so I'd say still months to go, no specific info on release date or price yet, but I'm sure it'll be more.

11. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

I think if I do get one I'll grab th e first one to see if I really like it .

12. Giggawattz

Giggawattz
    Expand Collapse
    Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Chunder, that sounds really compelling (the brushless version specifically)... if I can pick one up in Canada, I definitely want to.
    :)

13. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

if we cant we just go across the boarder thats all

14. Chunder

Chunder
    Expand Collapse
    Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm not sure how many other places in Canada carry RC Logger stuff, but we've got them at PM Hobbycraft. They've let me know that apparently we're the only place that has their Digital Pitch Gauges.

Little bit of a drive for you, but we do ship, and no customs fees. :)

Just need more in stock, they keep selling out fast.

15. Chunder

Chunder
    Expand Collapse
    Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Got the heads up on a bunch of upgrades coming out for it.

Clear canopies (so you could paint your own).
    Dual chargers.
    Charging cables so you can use it on your own charger, with multileads for up to 4 batteries at once.
    Waterproof padded carrying case.

And the two things I'm looking forward to most:
    A module that will let you use your transmitter with the quad instead of their little one.
    RCLogger.Com | RC EYE OneLink (for RC EYE One) | HD Video Capturing and Data Logging made easy! (DE)

And a camera and FPV setup built into a replacement canopy!
    RCLogger.Com | RC EYE OneCam 5.8 GHz FPV Kit | HD Video Capturing and Data Logging made easy! (DE)

16. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

thats a weird site only some pages worked

17. Giggawattz

Giggawattz
    Expand Collapse
    Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Oh cool, didn't realize you were a PM guy. I am fairly sure that I want that brushless bad boy... let me know when it will be coming please. I may want to pre-order if that is possible.

18. Chunder

Chunder
    Expand Collapse
    Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah, I'm actually the guy in charge of the aircraft side so I get a good bit of info from our suppliers about upcoming things and try to spread it around when I can.

I'll be announcing when the new stuff is ready for sure, maybe because I'll be showing off mine. Often I'm grabbing the first of the cool toys for myself as soon as they come through the door. :secret laugh:

If you (or anyone else for that matter) ever want yourself on a waiting list either pm me here, or email me at patm@pmhobbycraft.ca and I'll pop you on the list.

Jackedman likes this.
  19. Jackedman

Jackedman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks man thats awesome of you todo that. Im wondering what the shipping would be from you guys to ontario. I would rather buy from a canadian store then a usa store if i can

20. Giggawattz

Giggawattz
    Expand Collapse
    Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I already sent ya an email... I will take one of those brushless bad boys for sure, for sure.

:)