1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I wire up and dual motor configuration on my axial scx10 trail honcho?

Discussion in 'Studio Discussions' started by landofcorn, Jul 8, 2014.

1. landofcorn
    Instant PM

landofcorn New Member

Hey guys first i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Ryan, 25 years old, and I live in Iowa. I recently got back into remote controlled trucks to replace some bad habits and it's working out great. Alot cheaper too might I add. I bought an Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho in Febuary and have done a fair share of upgrading it. I am now ready to put dual Axial 27 turn motors on it and I have some questions about it. Will I need two esc s to control both of the motors? I am planning on running a 3s lipo battery in the truck and was planning on using the Axial AE-5 Waterproof Forward/Reverse ESC w/Drag Brake part number AX31144. Please give me some feedback because i'd like to turn my truck into an absolute BEAST. Thanks.

2. prophet
    Instant PM

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

Welcome to the forums mate!
    As for your question there are a couple of ways to go about this:

First up i'm not sure on the specs f the new Axial ESC, but all ESC's have a motor turn limit. The old AE2 was a 19 turn limit. When you are running duel motors you need to devide the tuns on the motor by 2. (if you are going to wire them in parralell. + to + and - to - ) so running 2 27 turn motos would = a turn limit of 13.5. This would be below the turn limit of the ESC. and would burn it out.
    You could run 2 ESC's (one for each motor, but the need to be the same ESC, and set up exactly the same.) It's a lot easier to just do it with one ESC for a trail rig.
    If your dead keen on running 2 27 turn motors (i've run this set up before and it was fantastic!) Get yourself a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL ESC. It's factory waterproof, and has NO MOTOR TURN LIMIT. it's also 6s capable and has an awesome drag break. Wire your motors in parrallel and get trailing!

Bluedually likes this.
  3. landofcorn
    Instant PM

landofcorn New Member

Alright I just looked up that part. It looks pretty promising. Thanks for the feedback man just gotta wait till payday. Three days is never going to feel so far away.