1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Styrene, Styrene Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Mods, Paint & Fabrication' started by LetsGoMuddin, May 23, 2012.

1. LetsGoMuddin

LetsGoMuddin New Member

Hey guys id like to use styrene for a project but i've never used it before. how am i able to glue styrene together so its strong? is styrene strong? i think ive seen people use it to make there own truck bodies, what type of styrene would i use for doing this kinda work? thanks alot for the help!

2. fordguy8790

fordguy8790 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've wondered about using styrene myself and would love to see something about it too.

3. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Me 3.
    Never used it.

Scratch that, I love to use it after I tried!

#3 Crankbait, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. WeeManWTF

WeeManWTF New Member

I REALLY want to try some work with it. So many things I want to do. I want to learn to braze too.

5. Flex

Flex New Member

my brother used it all the time mostly for shoves axes ext..
    he would use supper glue but it doesnt hold up very good on things like his the body.
    Couldn't really think of anything else to glue it together.

6. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

There is a glue called Pro weld. It will melt the plastic together giving it a really good bond when doing this. If you want to bend the styrene you can use a hair dryer to form the stuff pretty good, a heat gun works as well but you can melt stuff faster. Hope this little bit of info helps out.

7. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

I used Plastruct Bondene for "welding" styrene together:

[​IMG]

Be warned that it smells awful! If you are going to work with this kind of cement, make sure to have proper ventilation in your area and that you are wearing a mask so you will not inhale the fumes.

Another thing is to make sure that you NOT get anything of the substance to your skin! This is a very strong adhesive and it will bond to your skin. The bottle has a lot of warning labels, so make sure to follow them accordingly for safety.

I start out by lining up the pieces that needs to be bonded:

[​IMG]

I then brush on a small amount of the cement to the joint the two pieces. I use the included brush applicator in the bottle and lightly spread some of the solvent along the joints:

[​IMG]

I then press the pieces together for 10-15 seconds to form the bond:

[​IMG]

The solvent is drawn into the joint by capillary action, melting and softening the two materials being joined together, effectively bonding them. Here is an image of the other side were you can see some of the melted styrene oozing out of the joint as I press down on it:

[​IMG]

After 10-15 seconds, the materials are bonded. Recommended curing time for a joint is around 30 minutes.

If you do this properly, you will be able to achieve a very strong bond. You may want to add some strips of styrene along the joints for more reinforcement.

I have a really old thread here where I tried to scratch build a scale body for my Traxxas Summit that you might want to read to see how I did it:

http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/bashi...king-more-scale-looking-traxxas-summit-3.html

Hope that helps!

Cocabert likes this.
  8. LetsGoMuddin

LetsGoMuddin New Member

Wow thanks Danboard!! this will really help alot, although i have another question: what is a good thickness that would be easy to work with but still be strong enough on my truck so that it could survive rolls and scrapes. thanks for the help!

9. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

I went with the 0.40" (1mm) thick styrene sheets. I think it has enough thickness and stiffness (what she said). You can also get some styrene strips that you can use for reinforcing the joints.

Hope that helps!

:)

10. LetsGoMuddin

LetsGoMuddin New Member

LOL thats great! Thanks for the help!!

11. Travis97

Travis97 New Member

would like some opinions on this

i have a local hobby store who deals just in trains and they have styrene out the wazoo and i want to make a rear bumper and hitch for my trailer do you guys think it will last if i use some of that super cement or what ever danboard was talking about?? also i wish to make a nice trailer to be pulled with my trail honcho and have a slash 4x4 on the back how would i go about doing thid trailer cheap strong and fun??

12. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Welcome to the forums Travis.

I actually picked up a ton of styrene after I posted here and have to say it's addictive.
    An adhesive that I use and it works great, set's super quick and has a very low odor
    is Same stuff from micro mark- Same Stuff Professional Plastic Welder Refill, 2 fl. oz.

13. CameronH

CameronH New Member

I actually used styrene for the first time last week. Used it to build a custom mount for my Mini Revo's new SV2 speed control. Needed to mount it vertically beside the motor for clearance issues.

Pretty easy stuff to work with, all i need now is a better method for heating it to form and shape it.

14. Euro_Driver

Euro_Driver New Member

Use a heat gun, should soften it nicely!

15. CameronH

CameronH New Member

i used a lighter the first time, worked just fine but blackened the styrene of course. And wouldn't come clean. If i do much more with this stuff a heat gun sounds like a decent investment.

16. Euro_Driver

Euro_Driver New Member

Heat guns do not cost that much, i got my 2 speed (Low/High) dewalt heat gun at home depot for like 40 dollars( American). Even if you dont use it that much you will be suprised at what you can use them for!

17. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

I agree, I found a really nice one online and love it.
    They are great for heating Decals or stickers to remove them and leave no adhesive.
    Another great use is preheating the cylinder heads on nitro motors to make them start easier.

18. Euro_Driver

Euro_Driver New Member

I don't own a nitro but I want to one day

19. LetsGoMuddin

LetsGoMuddin New Member

I just bought a bunch of styrene for an upcoming project. I'm using .060 and I also bought Plastistruct plastic cement from RPP hobby. I'm using Bondo spot puddy as well.

20. mypuppers

mypuppers Member

i used a metal dish rack for the trailer frame. its strong , cheap cuz it was going to be thrown out any way. just one idea.