1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waterproof Your ESC and Receiver! (BONUS: Motor & Servo)

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by RCSparks, May 28, 2011.

1. Diablo
    Instant PM

Diablo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You can get black and colour plastidip from prime electronics. That's where I get mine from. They are the Aus distributor for it. They can also order in the different colours.

Plastidip also have a Aus ebay store (or did last time I looked) but the shipping is a bit steep...

edit:

yep still there http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLEAR-PL...5?pt=AU_Home_Decor&hash=item41682f2147&_uhb=1

can get clear plastidip and tints through them.

#41 Diablo, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. Greenie
    Instant PM

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

LOL!!! dont matter where *I* order it from, shipping is ALWAYS STEEP!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!
    (sorry, i just really found that funny!!! LOL!!!)

3. Diablo
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

You need a mule lmao

4. Greenie
    Instant PM

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

HA HA HA HA!!!! LOL! I'll call him Eeyore LOL!!!!!!!!!!

5. lout
    Instant PM

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    1 20oz can for $47... Mind you it is clear. Have to think on it

6. prezmcmahon
    Instant PM

prezmcmahon New Member

Good info, thanks. I've done this once to an ESC, and so far, so good.

7. Gladdius
    Instant PM

Gladdius New Member

Thanks for the vids. very useful info

#47 Gladdius, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Gladdius
    Instant PM

Gladdius New Member

That's what she said.

9. rowdy3128
    Instant PM

rowdy3128 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thanks

want to run a 2wd truck in snow....last time I did this was the 80s....needed to know the new ways of doing this.....in the 80s I hit a rock on the beach drove the dune buggy under water...at lest a foot....had it for years after waqnt to do good job again.........THANK YOU.....

10. bumpin
    Instant PM

bumpin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

just wondering.... if im still using an fm reciever is it possible to water proof that and still be able to change out the crystals? i know i know.. "wow your still using fm?!!!" the beauty of everyone going 2.4 ghz is that i can pretty much run fm anywhere without interference anyway . :D

#50 bumpin, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. JSG
    Instant PM

JSG New Member

just throwing it out there somthing else that works is liquid electrical tape. very similar to plasti-dip but alot easier to find and much cheaper. it comes as a brush in can style bottle and just brush it on. may take two coats but just as waterproof. this is what ive been using on all my electronics for a while now and its good in snow, mud, and water.

12. sirkingdra
    Instant PM

sirkingdra Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I used a Did basically the same thing as Medic but I used Silicone for the ESC, then put it in a tupper wear container with holes drilled for the wires etc to come out of. It's a lot more screwing around and annoying though, the silicone wants to pull away form the plastic container surface so I tried roughing the surface with a rough file to hopefully make the silicone stick better. If it decides to pull away again I'll probably just do what Medic did with the Plasti-Dip. Is that a reliable method (The Plasti-Dip Way)? It just doesn't seem to sound strong enough to prevent water or moisture from touching the ESC. As for the Receiver Box, I siliconed my stock one and a LOT of water mananged to get in yesterday and ruined the receiver, so I got a Traxxas Water Proof receiver box, are these trust worthy?

13. Diablo
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm about to try waterproofing my receiver similar to the way the new spektrum receivers are. Will solder stubby servo leads to the board then dip it. Think it will be much neater than how I have previously done it with full extension leads and dipping the whole receiver. Will have to try keep it thin enough to make sure it goes back in the case.

14. DizzyDad
    Instant PM

DizzyDad Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Medic, just wanted to say a big thank you for posting this video( and all your others too). Your tips and how To's have saved me a boat load of cash and amped the fun level up tenfold.

15. Mikecal
    Instant PM

Mikecal Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey fellas! Are LiFe batteries waterproof like NiMh are? I'm using one to run my winch and I don't want to worry if it gets wet. Don't want it exploding or something haha

16. Diablo
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

LiFe batteries are very similar to lipo. And as far as waterproofing goes, I would treat them the same. How ever the benefit of LiFe batteries is they won't explode into a ball of flames like the lipos can

17. Mikecal
    Instant PM

Mikecal Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ok great thanks my friend!! What's the worse that could happen to it?

18. 4WheelRC
    Instant PM

4WheelRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

19. Brian14
    Instant PM

Brian14 New Member

motors

Can you waterproof a brush-less motor.

20. 4WheelRC
    Instant PM

4WheelRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hi Brian14, yes you can waterproof brushless motors. How much attention you give it depends on if it is a sensored or sensorless brushless motor and how long you want it to last. Also, what do you mean by "waterproof"? For some they just mean splash proof (can go through the odd puddle), or are you talking the ability to do full submersion for many minutes (I've been working on this recently and believe me it takes a very long time to get all of your electrics & batteries sufficiently proofed and even then you are almost definitely going to get water getting into something due to capillary action, not to mention that your RC will begin to show sign of rust within a few hours :scared:).

Sensorless is essentially a brushed motor, but 'inside out', so I'd recommend taking it apart and marine greasing the bearings. That will do, but if you want to you could Plastidip where the power wires enter the motor's case, but its some what pointless unless you then go about sealing up the whole motor case (if you do it well and keep the water out then it will give the motor a longer life, but if it has cooling air ducts then don't cover them!). I just did this on my sensored motor and you can see here: http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/trail...a-waterproofing-novak-timbuk2.html#post241799

Sensored is a different story, as you need to waterproof the sensor ring inside the motor; if you do not, then when water gets into the motor (which is almost definitely will) the motor will cog like mad. This is a good video showing proofing the sensor ring: http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/trail...-car-sensored-brushless-combo.html#post236247

A word of warning if you are looking to go swimming: I just fried an ESC following a submersion test - My SCX10 was under water for 10 minutes and worked fine and was fine afterwards. But many hours later it was dead as water had worked its way into the ESC and short circuited a MOSFET. I had spent weeks layering Plastidip on my SCX10 and unless you are ultra thorough you are almost guaranteed on water getting in eventually.
    I did a daft oversight on my ESC and only Plastidipped up the power wires about an inch. This is not enough to prevent water working its way down them and once at the circuit board (under what you think is a waterproof layer of Plastidip) the water will work its way along due to capillary action. I now use a Plastidip each end of a wire / heatshrink tube along the entire wire (overlap the Plastipdipped ends) / Plastidip the ends of the heatshrink tube again approach.

My advice to you is try and take a 'double layer' approach to waterproofing. Ideally put your waterproofed electrics into a sealed box etc. so any water that gets onto them is not under pressure. Also, don't me shy: As you are going to invalidate your warranties anyway, take your ESC, servo etc. apart and look how they are built, then identify what needs to be done to best waterproof them - There are then lots of YouTube videos on various proofing techniques Plastip, Liquid Tape, epoxy resin etc.).

Beware an underwater adventure that you think your rig has survived, as the clock is then ticking and you may find it fails many hours later (capillary action down power wires is the killer) :ouch:

Good luck with your swimming!

#60 4WheelRC, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013