1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow NQD Jet boat build

Discussion in 'Speed & Jet Boats' started by 4mods, Jun 4, 2011.

1. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Hey guys, I'm sure a few of you have seen my for now yellow jet boat so I figure I should show you how I have it setup.

First off this boat is running a ABC hobby jetski jet drive. I think its a 19mm impeller.

[​IMG]

From the front it looks like this, these are my backup drivers... I run the Yellow helmet guys most, they look better.

[​IMG]

The abc drive is suitable for 540 sized motors, I used a 500 heli motor. Its a Turnigy 1800 kv that can run on 6 cell if I want, my drive could not handle that but you know... lol.

[​IMG]

I sealed up a Plush 80amp esc to power it, this thing is so smooth its unreal! I don't even bother water cooling this system all, nor the motor. The cooling you see off the pump is just for looks off my the back of the boat.

[​IMG]

All installed.

[​IMG]

Listen to how smooth this was.. I say was as I let a bud try it and he ate up some shore line 5 seconds after having the radio.. lol, now its not as smooth but still runs great!

[video=youtube;KYotJZGSElE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYotJZGSElE[/video]

I'm sure you have seen this video already but I will plop it in this thread as it shows it off running pretty good.

[video=youtube;391SPnIJReM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391SPnIJReM[/video]

Any questions all, fire away!

2. damfurst

damfurst New Member

Liked seeing whats under your hood, lol. Just fyi the abc hobby drive is 22mm and better built than the graupner drives, but harder to come by also. I burned up my 60a esc on my abc hobby drive. Will probably go to a 80a or 120a esc next.

3. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator

Thank you sir on the impeller size! I totally wasn't sure. I think aiming high for the esc's in this boat is a great thing. Then you don't have to worry so much right!

4. Dribble

Dribble A Friendly Enforcer

Nice to come across this I may have to refer to it as I do my boat lol

5. SamuelFletcher

SamuelFletcher New Member

Do yu have to change the jet unit to run a bugger motor in it as im getting given one of these and am wonder what brushless sustem can drop straight in as i dont want to cust anything in hull for new jet unit, Thanks

6. aceofaxe

aceofaxe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks 4Mods, I have tried to avoid this thread!!! But now I think I need a boat! So I will put it on the list with the XR10, Berg, M-05 Mini, Merv, CC-01 Bronco, Micro Crawler, Super Cub and LunchBox! Oh and a few more SCX-10's lol

:yaehamnotdurnk:

#6 aceofaxe, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  7. Megatoys

Megatoys Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Boats are a blast!!!!!!!

8. Gas319

Gas319 Italian Ambassador
    ELiTE MEMBER

cool boat! like like like!! :D

9. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator

Thanks allot guys! Perhaps this friday if its nice I'll get one out for a rip!

10. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey 4mods!!
    how hard was it to mount up the motor in these????
    still happy with that heli motor??
    got mine the other day, and tried it in the spar...... wow, did i laugh my butt off or what!!!! LOL!!!
    so, i'm pretty keen to get a brushless into her. haven't cut into her yet, thought i'd ask some questions first.
    keen to run a known combo in it so not to blow it up LOL!!!!

11. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator

Its very easy if you take the full jet drive out however it is a bit of work to get it out taking off all the glue and such. It is only 2 screws of course like any other motor and 380 sized motors fit on the stock mount with little or no mods at all.

To be safe find a 30amp PLUS esc watercooled if possible, then add a 3000kv motor (watercooled if you can) as well and you will be shredding some rapids in no time.

The heli setup I have in my boat has worked flawless man, I love this combo... my only problem is a buddy of mine last season ran it ashore and ate some rocks that bent my prop shaft and it is not as great in the rapids as it used to be. It has to be super smooth water if I want to do speed runs or as soon as it pops out of the water I must reduce speed to get the water flowing threw the jet again.

These boats HATE vibration and having a perfectly straight driveline is best. Hope this helps!

12. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

THANKS HEAPS MAN!!!
    cool now i know what to hunt for. cant wait to get a REAL motor and REAL servo in it!!! LOL!!!
    sweet!!! i'll be hitting up the Hong Kong boys for a deal!!!
    (LHS only had ONE, ONLY ONE brushed 10.5t motor in stock, nothing else)

thanks heaps again bro!!!!!

13. imjimbo

imjimbo New Member

OMG only 1 brushed motor ..... id be slappin him....... (not really but i would tel him i would) ....

14. imjimbo

imjimbo New Member

question .... is that the stock impeller drive? i havent been able to hold one of these in my hand yet ... only the pics via the web ... ive been tempted but i was worried about the stock driveline holding up i was intending to use a hyperion 3600kv and a 60amp turnigy (coz i have a couple from a bulk order) ... if the stock one is up to scratch i will grab a few and mould n remake the hull in fiberglass .. another to add to the collection my better half is gonna want new shoes or something.....

15. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

oh man have i tried..............................................
    :disapointed:
    an they wonder why so many people from the club buy online.......

16. Megatoys

Megatoys Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I run a traxxas VXL 380 in mine with a turnigy 35a ESC and it had A TONN OF BALLS. But after about 3/4 throttle it makes no more power then if u hit 100% throttle. Just more noise cause that little 23mm impeller can only suck up so much water... Like that's nearly 63,000 rpm and full power. Kinda rediculas. But on 2s it works perfectly. Stock drives are pretty tough!

17. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator

Yeah Jimbo, stock driveline works awesome in the stock boats for sure. This drive is out of one of those jetski boats though and has a larger impeller. Thanks!

18. scoobyblue

scoobyblue New Member

Hey bud nice build. Is this nqd boat plastic or glass man. I ask as I have a nqd 40inch admiral with twin 550s and its stok toy trx rx do u think it would br hard to give it a do ova. Ill show u a pik. This is after she went diven lol[​IMG] it steers via the 2 motoors and has no rudder servo. I got it for giggles but I shoved a 9.9 v in her and she went off and then went diven lol. Im new to rc boats and love them as much as scale trucks. So any advice guys would be appreciated very much.
    Id like to keep it twin prop. And go twin brushless. But wana stik to the cost efective side, ive been lookn at turnigy boat esc and brushless marine motors from hobbyking?[​IMG][​IMG]

rc is no hobby its a disease

#18 scoobyblue, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  19. TheMoose

TheMoose New Member

NQD Tear Into Jet Boat Mod

Hi,

I saw your post on the moded NQD Boat. I have one and have completely gutted it and removed everything out and off of it. I boght a Water Cooled Birdie 50A ESC, A Water Cooled 4800KV Brushless Inrunner Motor, a 9G servo, New 3 Channel Receiver 2.4Ghz. After reading a bunch of posts and threads on others mods I am worried that I may have gone a little over kill on the Motor. I have read that if I spin the Jet/Prop to fast it can break or the boat just cavitates. I was wondering what you think I should run as far as a battery with this setup if I indeed need to tone down the motor. I fly planes and have a bunch of different batteries. I have everything from a 1300-MAH-20C-11.1V up to 4000-MAH-4C-14.8V. I am thinking I need to run the 11.1V. I'm also worried about sealing everything. What did you use to glue/install parts. I have 2 different types of RTV high tempature water proof silicone/gasket sealer. I would appreciate any and all of your thoughts and input. All of my parts are in and I wanted to put it toghter this weekend.

Thanks,

Moose

20. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

wow, that is a heavy duty motor for sure!!!

I'd even try starting off with a 2s LiPo if you can, just to see, then you can always step it up.
    I used Shoe Goo to water tight mine, but a RTV could work, i havent used it like that before, but all in all, it should work.

once all the silicone is set, and before installing all the spark, float test it. big tub of water, and push the boat as deep as you can, with out sinking it of course, and the extra pressure should point out any leaks. (push just the prop and shaft, into the jet drive tho)