1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1/14 LaFerrari toy to hobby grade conversion (Rastar 50100)

Discussion in 'ON Road Build Projects' started by MasteroFlego, Nov 10, 2018.

1. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

picked up a 1/14 Rastar 50100 LaFerrari at my value village for four Canadian Pesos (three Freedom Bucks™), I want to convert it to hobby grade electronics, and as a plus i already have a 3d printer. i forgot to take pictures before i tore it apart, sorry. anyway, i figured i'd ask for some help with electronics as I have no experience with anything smaller than a Stampede. It has a full interior so space is tight, but if i have to cut the floor out of the passenger seat i guess i have to lol. I plan to use a ProModeler DS145CLHV for my servo (small and high torque from a great company), so that leaves motor and esc (and receiver, but I'll probably just get a takeoff TTX200 and rx). i haven't drawn up the existing chassis yet (in Inventor) but i'm pretty sure a 540 size motor will not fit unless i cut off half the interior (the motor that shows through the back window) and part of the webbing on the chassis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the ttx 200 is a good idea the rx is very small and should be easy to fit in that car

MasteroFlego likes this.
  3. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

and as a plus it has no external antennae. as for the motor I'm thinking about using a 2860 or similar sized motor.

walter likes this.
  4. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

it should be a quick little car when done

5. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

Kinda wondering what speed I should aim for, any idea what is typical for a car this size? I'm guessing 30mph or lower, probably lower.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

6. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

every thing I have is off road

7. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What transmission are you going to use?

8. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

Probably a custom case with standard gears from some other manufacturer. I doubt I could get an off the shelf trans to work.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

9. cbaker65

cbaker65 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You might can do a direct drive to a solid axle ,sense the motor is big ,an for the motor
    to sit dead center!
    But I don't know how it would effect the motor with no trans. ,an direct to a solid ax!

10. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

working on putting the chassis into inventor, once i have all the parts i need put into inventor i can start designing the new guts.
    [​IMG]

Antho11 likes this.
  11. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

anything is a possibility at this point, but i'd prefer to keep the entire interior.

12. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

working on the front suspension, not sure where i'm gonna fit shocks, might have to settle for springs
    [​IMG]

Bluedually and Antho11 like this.
  13. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

i went to my LHS yesterday and found some really short shocks, they're for the latrax rally 1/18, #7560. they're 35mm eye to eye with a diameter of about 10mm, but they are basically just springs (oilless). if they work for me i can get the oil filled ones that traxxas makes as an upgrade (7560X or 7561). I'm also thinking I may want to just get this thing running before i try to get the interior to fit. the motors from hobbyking showed up a couple days ago, i'll try and upload a pic soon.

Antho11 and walter like this.
  14. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Did you CAD/draw the car yourself? Cuz if you did its crazy detailed! Really cool project!

15. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

yes, i did draw these all, thank you

16. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

think i got the front suspension all figured out, i think i'll need to limit shock travel and find stiffer springs, i'll start printing soon, then design the rear
    [​IMG]

17. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

sorry for the really late update, I just didn't feel I'd made enough progress to actually make one before. anyway, I've got almost everything ironed out, aside from final ESC and RX placement. I'm going to be using s3m belts and pulleys for the drivetrain between the motor and the diff. speaking of which, I went with the stock diff from a 1/16 Traxxas slash, which has an aftermarket if it proves insufficient (i was toying with a full size slash 4x4 diff, but that thing is completely huge in comparison). the rear suspension did not require nearly as much work to fit in as the front did.

[​IMG]

Bluedually and Antho11 like this.
  18. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

do you ever have to design your own tooling to get the job done? lol. I don't have a metalworking lathe, nor a chuck for the woodworking lathe i do have, and the pulley won't fit in any of my drills or my drill press chuck, so i hope this 3d printed part will work.

[​IMG]

Antho11, Bluedually and walter like this.
  19. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This is cool.

Antho11 and MasteroFlego like this.
  20. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

Today I made some progress on the pulleys, no pics right now though, sorry. the 3d printed chuck didn't work (unsurprisingly), so instead I drilled the 16t pulley with a 3.3mm bit (usually for m4 taps) then took it the rest of the way with a metric step bit (smallest tier was a little over 4mm, so it's a little loose on it's shaft). for the 18t pulley I took an old 15/64" (I think that's what it was, it was around 6 mm) drill bit, and grinding it down to about 5mm od (until it just fit through a 5mm bore pinion I had), I then sharpened it on a bench grinder (which I had to redo 4 times as I bored the pinion, it was my first time sharpening a bit), and drilled out the pulley :D it ended up having tighter tolerances than the pinion i used to size the bit. i also tapped the 4-40 threads to m3, I'm not sure how well those will hold, i might have to drill new holes. I think I forgot to mention, these pulleys (and 120mm 40t belt) are from FingerTech Robotics (in Canada), they are aluminum, s3m pitch, only come in 3mm bore, and the grub screws are 4-40 (wat).