1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1930 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan Hotrod

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by lout, Feb 7, 2016.

1. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ahh ... the next build. This one is the fault of one of my favourite iPhone games Hillclimb Racing. Why? One of the latest updates had a hotrod as one of the cars and it had a 4WD upgrade option .... got to thinking didn't I.

So here we are after a while crunching the numbers and putting it all in CAD and then going back to it (and I still will be going back to it) and making modifications. This is the plan of action:

Tudor.JPG

This is being built as a scale trail rig and is going to be designed for off road, but not rock crawling so articulation is not a priority. I'm designing in 20mm (3/4") compression capability so more articulation may be achieved with a droop setup. Shock setup will be a play later

So now to the constraints...
    • 1/8th scale as this is what the axle with the wheel selection scales out to be
    • has to be as scale and accurate as possible, but this is a build of a hotrod
    • Has a 2.5" chop to the roof line
    • Has a full interior and no visible electronics
    • engine bay has a scale flathead V8 motor inside
    • scale motor hides the real motor
    Well the batter was going to be hiding behind the rear seat with access through the back, however designing in the shocks it turned out that to keep the clean interior I had to mount the shocks behind the rear seats instead relegating the battery to under the front seat. A win for weight distribution!!

To fit the diff of the front axle I've had to move the front radiator forward about 3 scale inches, but it's a hotrod :)

The parts list looks a little like this:
    • SCX10 Axles (Rear to be upgraded to silver whenever funds allow - it's a hotrod!!)
    • G-Made TS02 silver shocks (They look good and looks are important!!) ... If these do not work out then I will swap them for 90mm G-Made Transition shocks
    • Thunder Tiger 2.2 spoked buggy rims
    • Proline Dirt Hawg II & III tyres (These scale in exactly for a 1.8th scale build)
    • Either a Hobbyfans 3300kv setup or a 35t brushed setup (to be decided later)
    • SCX10 center transmission gears
    • Drive shafts......... (junfac or axial - cost will probably decide this one and I personally have no issues with Axial driveshafts)
    Everything else has to be fabricated. The center transmission has to be custom made to fit between the frames and also under the floor, so I have to straighten it out. Slipper clutch will be deleted and pinion and spur gear will be decided at some point but the default axial spur gear is too big so some other choice is to be made. I did have the transmission drawn up but just before I could hit save my son kicked the power cord out ... grrrr!

So the current state of play... The chassis rail has been bent to shape and awaiting drilling before slitting up the middle to create the two sides. And the floor has been cut out.

So there we are, the official RC Sparks start to the next build, I hope you enjoy the journey as I am so looking forward to make this a reality.

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh dear... this is going to be one hell of a build... can't wait !!!

Little Rascle, Antho11 and lout like this.
  3. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Bring it on... I Love It...

Dean

lout likes this.
  4. OKCrawler

OKCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This is going to be an EPIC build, Im in...... and taking notes!!! I cant wait to see some pics as this build comes together!

Antho11 and lout like this.
  5. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks for the support guys. Been more than a few years since I've done any serious work the styrene :)

6. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    kinda funny you decided on this build and i bought the body to do one fairly similar, on the same day.

DivineChaos likes this.
  7. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I know what you mean ... and @cyanide is working on a similar vehicle for charity as well :)

cyanide likes this.
  8. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yeah I saw that one too, he's doing it all in metal isn't he?

9. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yes he is ... and channeled too from what I hear

10. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    well now all we need is someone to do one in wood and we'd have all the build methods covered, mine as a simple conversion, yours done in styrene and one in metal done by @cyanide

Y2daT and lout like this.
  11. cyanide

cyanide Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice one man! Looks like it will be cool.
    While I was researching Rat Rods for my build I came across a channel called Olive RC (worth a sub) where a guy made a similar style body you are planning from Styrene, I know yours a 4x4 and not a slammed Rod, but the body design may be help full?

https://www.youtube.com/user/olivebirdmusic

OKCrawler and lout like this.
  12. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wasn't expecting to be doing chassis work this weekend, but that's the way this happened. In between fixing the boys nano drones :)

So mentioned previously I had bent the chassi rail out of a piece of 1/2" sq tube using a propane torch and bending carefully one I'd heated to cherry red where I wanted to bend it.

image.jpeg

The only thing that stopped the progress was the location of the drill holes, so... Print and cut out the chassis rail design

image.jpeg

Glue to the tube using the good ole glue stick.

image.jpeg

Center punched the required locations and drilled out using my little drill press.
    Cut the rail to length and slit it up the middle to make 2 matching rails.

image.jpeg

Monkeypiarat, BTRC, cyanide and 3 others like this.
  13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice plan and start on executing it :)

lout and DivineChaos like this.
  14. cyanide

cyanide Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looking good. I just remembered to sub to this thread, I wanna see this one as it progresses.

lout likes this.
  15. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Been a bit slow this weekend. Work collating flyers and trying out spintires not to mention spending the whole day running around after the family, have just gotten in the way.

TuDawgs likes this.
  16. W1ck3d0n3

W1ck3d0n3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Im gunna keep and eye on this one.

lout likes this.
  17. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Little bit of forward progress today. Got the rear chassis spacers turned and tapped. Those along with the rear suspension mounts got the back end assembled.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

18. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I got parts, I got parts! ... Well, part!!

Thanks to @darkside0914 for pointing me to a new supplier rcmart, I scored a transfer case for a very reasonable price.

This transfer case will also serve as the Center/front crossmember. I'm very impressed to say the leased. Full alloy case and metal gears. Aaand it came pre-greased as well! Opened it up to make sure!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

19. kpreston

kpreston Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I know the feeling of "I gotta package, I gotta package" like a kid in the candy store LOL keep posting pics I want to see how this one turns out

brian9o12 and lout like this.
  20. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    it looks nice and solidly built, so far i'm not disappointed in anything i've bought from them.

lout likes this.