1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1930 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan Hotrod

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by lout, Feb 7, 2016.

1. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Leeetle bit of progress over weekend..

Got the placement sorted out for the transfer case. I used some brake line to make the spacers between the chassis rail and transfer case as I was all out of fancy aluminium spacers :)

image.jpeg

Also cut the floor for the transfer case. These will be a transmission tunnel and the hole will mend up going all the way to the front so the driveshaft can slip through. But just keeping things together beforehand.

image.jpeg

Getting the body work started is still doing my head in because of the complex curves. The way I'm thinking at the moment is to build up a skeleton of plastic square rod and then try and drape the sheet over the top and using a heat source to soften and 'melt' (not the right word) or relax the sheet on to the frame.

Monkeypiarat, chetmotox and cyanide like this.
  2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So during my down time I've been nibbling away at this. What I thought I would try first is a modification of the frame and drape method I mentioned above, but by using balsawood forms, styrene sheet and a heat gun.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

It started out using smaller pieces of styrene, but the heat changes the structure of the styrene and it shrinks so in the end I used larger sheets. These are the pieces needed for the front cowl. I used 15 thou some have two pieces for each side and will sandwich them together for strength. That is after I take the Dremel to them.

For the cowl I could have used slabs and filler, but I can't do that with the body as both sides will be visible. Next step will be to carve the rear quarters.

3. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

WOW ... The things you do with a Brain and a couple of hands...
    Here comes an other work of art ...

lout likes this.
  4. Thwmathue

Thwmathue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This looks like its going to be an epic build.

BignBlue and lout like this.
  5. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    found a vid of a 1/1 version of your build, though it's not a 30 model a, it's very close.

TuDawgs, lout and BignBlue like this.
  6. BignBlue

BignBlue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I feel like that could have been done better. It looks really chopped up, and not in the good way. I think lout's rat rod is going to be WAY better looking.

7. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hmm... Double post, so here's a pic of the shocks for the Hotrod instead

image.jpeg

BignBlue, chetmotox and darkside0914 like this.
  8. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well it was an interesting weekend to say the least. I thought i would actually get so,e work done on the chassis and try and get it headed more towards being a roller. Especially considering I had the shocks delivered and a few other parts.

So, here are the shocks all made up. Putting the together was very straight forward, but there is no damping and as to whether this will affect the handling on the trail I'm yet to be decided, but they look fantastic!

image.jpeg

Next I figured I would make some links since I had a delivery of RC4WD end links to make use of. Found some 5/16 allthread and figured I could turn it down and then cut a thread on each end using a 4mm die. All went well right up too cutting the thread on the ends. Got the first one done but figured I would turn the lathe down to it's slowest speed and and use it to assist turning the end into the die. Anyway it worked fine for the first few, but then one got jammed and spun the bit I was threading off jamming it in the die. So subsequently the die Wass stuffed and necessitated a different method.

Drilled and tapped each end of the remaining two links and cut some m4 bolts to length. So I now have all of my lower links made. Just need to cut some parts out for the upper links.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dazed, chetmotox and BignBlue like this.
  9. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

:tastey:

lout likes this.
  10. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well I managed to get some aluminium cut out for various parts such as the back of the 3 link truss and the shock relocation brackets, oh and the centre gearbox assembly, but more on that later.

image.jpeg

Little bit of assembly and tweeking as there is always tweeking with a custom job, I have a rear end fitted (well mocked up at this stage as I need to sort out the correct length screws and also the spacers in the lower link mounts in the axles.

The shock relocation brackets are there so that the sock mounts at the rear of the axle. This allows me to hide the shock towers in the rear seat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

11. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That is starting to look sick.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

lout likes this.
  12. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The only thing I see missing is a track bar to keep the axle from moving side to side. Otherwise its coming along beautifully.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

13. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks ... Had that feeling myself when I first got it together :)

Actually the upper link assembly acts as the track bar. It's mounted to both chassis rails as well as the centre pivot point on the axle housing. The stock SCX10 uses the same set up. Had to go this route as there was no way I was fitting a 4 link under there. Well not and keep the interior clear!!

Antho11 and Monkeypiarat like this.
  14. spor4477

spor4477 Active Member

Looking good so far keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

lout likes this.
  15. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wow, That looks BOSS!!!!! And some how I've missed it this entire time...

Monkeypiarat and lout like this.
  16. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks guy
    @sweet rc ... With lots of build threads things tend to get lost. But a few updates here and there are all that is needed!. I must say that I'm guilty of the same and missing some of the awesome builds here :)

Tomorrow I'mm going to be trying to get the front suspension setup sorted out and get a roller minus steering and motor in place. Then it will be figuring out the firewall.

walter and sweet rc like this.
  17. cyanide

cyanide Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice work. Looking good man.

lout likes this.
  18. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks dude

19. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well not so much as I hoped and also a little bit of a 'ah crap' moment too. To fit the front shocks I have to mount the shocks flat and have pivots in place. So I got the pivot mounts made up and also integrated the firewall mounting point as well as I'm gong to hang the motor and gearboxes from it too.

image.jpeg

Problem is that when I went to make up the upper link for the front axle I discovered that I hadn't completed the design for when and how it was going to fit. Not real happy about that I must say.

And there isn't much room between those chassis rails either I must say!

sweet rc likes this.
  20. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well it's now 2am and I'm off to bed. Made some decent progress tonight tho.

I managed to get most of the suspension done. Just have to make two links to connect the shocks to the cantilevers and make up one push rood to go from the front axle to the centilever.

But to my mind the chassis is starting to look great. Will be great when I get it painted with the base colour and shiny bits.

Anyhow, enjoy the pic :)

image.jpeg

Thwmathue and sweet rc like this.