1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1930 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan Hotrod

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by lout, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Thwmathue

Thwmathue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just saw a post in the general chit-chat about making your own vacuum forming tool I thought it might be a viable option for the body on this project.

lout and sweet rc like this.
  2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice .. Thanks for that .. I'll check it out.

I was thinking about using the forming method to produce repeatable bodies. However I have changed my mind on this and will be making a one off initially as I have my head around the way I want to do it. BUT, in the long run having a pattern and forming bodies would probably be the way to go in case I smash the body up and then I would be able to get a new one.

Thwmathue likes this.
  3. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Glad I could help. In thinking of making one myself.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

4. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Another quick update for you .... Mind you the build off videos are lagging behind the actual progress .. but you get that I suppose.

Anyway, I did it. I finally got the motor installed.

We have the 3300Kv connected to a 3:1 planetary gearbox from Xtraspeed. This is then connected to my custom gearbox at 1.6:1 and then into the transfer case which works out at around 2.18:1

To get to this stage I had to cut the motor plate out of some 2mm steel plate I had on hand. I used steel as II was going to be threading it, but then remembered that it wouldn't work after I had cut it out.

From the Safety 3rd department, I mounted the angle grinder securely in the vice with a cutting disk on it to cut the steel plate. Personally I had the piece of steel in a set f vice grips and I was wearing thick welding gloves (not to mention glasses and ear protection)! Caution was used.

Anyway, that was drilled and then further fettling was in order to get it to fit to the motor and line up the holes. My center punching was'nt too good.

Two gear box ends were from 3mm aluminium plate which were drilled to accept the bearings for the 5mm shaft and also for the gearbox spacers. SPacers were drilled and tapped on the lathe.

Once assembled the whole shebang was bolted ot the firewall which was cut from 3mm aluminium plate.

IMG_0894.JPG

Monkeypiarat, sweet rc and Thwmathue like this.
  5. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i've done the same thing with a jig saw, I saw a video series on you tube of a guy building a rat rod rc using an old 6th scale model a model kit, don't know if it'll help give you ideas but here it is

also found this series

just thought they might interest you as you're doing something similar

6. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hehehe ... great minds :D

I'm subbed to them both and I'm halfway through the playlist of the top one.

I really hate how youtube orders the playlists in reverse, so rather than being able to view it from oldest to newest you have to manually re-reorder them!

darkside0914 likes this.
  7. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just watched the second series from my post, definitely worth watching. a very skilled builder

lout likes this.
  8. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What's interesting is seeing all the different solutions that each builder came up with.

darkside0914 likes this.
  9. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Was looking at the drive coupling between the motor gearbox assembly and the transfer case. Only 40mm room. And doesn't look sharp but could be..

IMG_3828.JPG

Anyhow I have a 1/16th vxl lying around (well it was my sons!!). Turns out the drive cups are 4mm not 5mm. But a little application of the drill fixed that. I still need to cut them down a little to make the connection but it certainly looks like it will do the job!

IMG_3829.JPG

10. BignBlue

BignBlue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Okay, you are way further than I thought; I need to step it up. Thanks for the inspiration, bud.

lout and Monkeypiarat like this.
  11. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I dunno dude .. I still have all of the body work to do.

Glad you got the inspiration back :)

BignBlue and Monkeypiarat like this.
  12. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So after a bit of work I got the centre driveshaft to fit up. And then moved onto the steering.

Steering was always plannned to be the pushrods affair with the servo tucked behind the firewall in the passenger footwell. The stock SCX10 steering hub has two holes which I was able to mount a fabricated aluminium steering link. That plus a length of 3mm allthread made a nice steering rod. I'll dress this up with a length of brake tubing so it will look nice come final assembly.

IMG_0901.JPG

With it being this close to a rolling chassis .. essentially was a rolling chassis, last night I grabbed a batttery, receiver and the ESC that was going to be going in this truck and shot a sneak peak video for you all.

Yes poor quality due to light levels, but you get the idea :Grin:

13. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have got three words to say about this build... A ,,,,ma ,,, zing ...
    dude you are some kind of fabrication Genius ....
    every build you do I just cant stop looking at them ....
    its like I have to shake my head because my eyes are stuck..
    this is going to be a high caliber build...
    thanks for the sneak peek .....:secret laugh:

lout likes this.
  14. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Fanks dude. Maken me blush 'ere :Grin:

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  15. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Now that's amazing. your making it look to easy. Well done.

lout likes this.
  16. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wow, that is amazing!! How is it possible for one person to do such? That is an amazing build and very inspiring as I get more involved with my own custom fab and building. That is Very cool, even down to the placement of the servo and motor, along with the custom shock towers in the rear! Thanks for sharing this amazing build and that sneak peak!!

lout likes this.
  17. BignBlue

BignBlue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm worried about that knuckle breaking; I saw how much it was flexing. I was thinking of doing my trucks steering like that style, but with the lift it was going to cause issues. I like what you've got there . I'm super jealous you can run yours. If I had a controller I'd be running it now.

lout likes this.
  18. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks guys. Tis much appreciated.

I had the same thoughts about that steering link moving as well, as you noticed me noticing. That was the first time I watched the steering move that closely. I will say this thi, these are not the axles that will be running under the hotrod. However it will be Axial plastic, so the same issue will exist. But there is a nut to go under one of the screws which should help matters. IIt may be that I'll upgrade the steering hubs to aluminium if it does indeed become more of a problem.

BignBlue and Monkeypiarat like this.
  19. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    With that moving steering link, the screws are only screwed into the plastic steering horn. It was always planned for them to be nuttted from below also, sso that should solve that issue.

That being said it is now time for the body work.

Plastic has been cut and glued.

IMG_0915.JPG

This one is the front frame that goes between the passsenger compartment and front cowling. This also holds the front widscreen and dash board.

IMG_0916.JPG

These next two are of the transmission tunnel for the rear drive shaft to run in. WHen I first drew up the model I hadn't realised that the drive shaft was going to be above the frame. Good job that this is a hotrod!!

IMG_0914.JPG

So, one thing that has been slowing me up was how to get the body on and off easily. Well I have now decided that the body will be attached to the aluminium firewall and screwed to the chassis at the rear. Reason being that the battery will live in the cab and accessible via the front doors, the ESC and receiver are going behind the rear seat and accessible via a boot lid, so the only time the body needs to come off is if bodywork or serious drivetrain repairs are needed!

20. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looks great

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

lout likes this.