1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Silverado plow truck

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Butcher, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Seldon_j

Seldon_j Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

What your wheelbase length like from wheelnut to wheelnut

2. Butcher

Butcher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Roughly 13 3/4" giver take a 1/16th

#142 Butcher, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  3. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

Not too much to much of an update. Got the steering buttoned up, everything moves pretty smoothly. Threw some 2.2's on he rear last night.... they aint gonna fit lol definitely will need more lift if I ever decide to go bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DodgeZippy, Dazed and drzoo2 like this.
  4. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Nice dude hmm okay

5. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    LOL, no, they won't. :) I have the smallest 1.9" tires on the market. RC4WD Mudthrashers, and they are just about right without modding the wheel wells. Leaves a lot off the table for tire choice.

Butcher likes this.
  6. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm definitely going to have to find some better looking tires and rims for this thing lol Think I'll give those mud mashers a shot as well.

7. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I actually really like them. I would like to try some other tires and compounds, but they have proven to be a really good tire.

Sent from my XT1575

8. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

Anybody have a radio suggestion for me? Right now I have a TQi but don't think it's going to cut it... unless there was a way to modd the toggle switch to a true 3 position.

I'm not to up to date on radios, all I know is I would need about 6 channels. two 3 positions and two 2 positions... plus the usual throttle and steering. I guess I could cancel 1 of the three positions and just get RC4wd's wireless winch controller, but Id like to be able to do it all from one radio.

9. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm using a mod'd GT3B to run 6 channels. It's probably the best option by far at the lowest price. Programming it is painful but it works. And works well. My only gripe is it lacks the "feel" of quality radios but you can't beat the price.

I'm using it with this receiver... $9

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-systems-servos/receivers/flysky-receivers/flysky-fs-r6b.html

[​IMG]

If your not willing to do the mod yourself, they are (should still be) for sale on another forum.

Butcher likes this.
  10. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Haha I thought you wheel base was 12.3 but making it an inch longer in the front would allow me to run my dig unit forwards so yeah guess it worth it So I can have selectable 2wd/4wd

11. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

the 3b, that's the one with the firmware flash right? If its the one I'm thinking of, you're right. Definitely my best option for the price.

you should be able to run the disco II without having to modify the wheelbase. I was thinking about doing the same thing, so I could have two/four wheel drive. Cant remember why I didn't, pretty sure it involved a lot of work.

12. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

Just finished modding my TQi, it'll be great for this truck... if I didnt want to run a plough. Able to run the winch properly and the two speed trans. I did some lookin into the Flysky, definitely going to be getting the GT3C. 8 channel individual control?! I'll be able to work the plow, salter (upcoming build) lights, trans, winch... everything. Thanks for the heads up on that one Drooz2.

Also added some more support brackets for the links and leafs today. Unfortunately my grinder conked out, lookin a lil messy right now.

13. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah my scx10 is basically stock and but I want selectable 2wd/4wdyeah maybe... but the front is too short and close so might extend it or move the tranny back.... more work but be worth it... and found out today that more weight in the back while in 2wd makes it better in sand but don't know bout mud...

14. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Disco 2 meaning discovery body

15. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

The rc4wd disconnect 2 trans. That's the only way you'll be able to do it. The axial dig unit only locks the front axle.

16. Seldon_j

ELiTE MEMBER

Umm yeah that if you leave the lockout in but I don't have mine so... yeah think bout movin the front forward so I can use my topkick body and make a flat bed for it

17. mudslinger25

mudslinger25 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  18. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

Getting closer to being finished everyday. Hopefully I'm done in time for the spring crawl. I have 90mm rc4wd shocks in the front, the damn rod ends keep crapping out. The bras coupling in them keeps popping out. Also, the weight of the motor and truck and what not, single front socks weren't cutting it. I've made new front shocks mounts, that aren't welded to the frame, as well as it is now running dual front shocks.
    I have the box mounted finally. I added cross braces on the bottom, made of styrene and drilled 4 mount holes (much like on a real pickup).
    The cab will be mounted kind of similar to how drooz2 mounted his. It will be screwed to the frame on the back of the cab and I'll have a slip mount type setup holding the front of the cab down.
    The rear drive shaft has finally been made. I took an old punisher shaft, cut it to length. I cut one end of the yoke off and forced the pins into a traxxas summit yoke. It was not easy at all, there's almost no flex in the traxxas yoke. It's the only set up I could come up with seeing how as the summit trans has a 7mm output shaft where as everything else uses a 5mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DodgeZippy, K9654, drzoo2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Butcher

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm pretty well done this truck, finally... short of casting copies, building bumpers, rebuilding the plow, making a salter, getting a front driveshaft.... everything else is pretty well done.
    I finally have the cab mounted, securely, along with the box, I also made an electronics box. It's not spot on, nor the prettiest, but it gets the job done. I originally wanted to replicate the actualgas tank of a silverado to put the electronics in, but there just isn't enough room for it. So I made a gas tank...ish styled electronics box. It tucks up pretty tight to the frame and barely hangs below the body. All I'll have to do is paint it and make gaskets so it will be water tight.
    I have a new set of matching tires coming in soon and the shift linkages. All I really have left is to get an esc. Was thinking of just getting a cheap one just so I can get this tihng running, decided to actually put money aside and get a good one. Soon enough I'll be ordering a Holmes Hobbies esc. I have front inner fender wells made, just have yet to install them.

Next step will be something I have absolutely no experience in, resin casting. Having copies of all the body parts will be a great idea, I see a lot of them getting broken. Plus, once this truck is done, I have plans for a truggy already.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

K.C.'s RC, DodgeZippy, drzoo2 and 2 others like this.
  20. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Do you have the mirrors that came with that body? Mine were missing and I ended up making them from styrene. I have an '11 Chevy and tried to copy and scale those down to match.

Butcher likes this.