1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2wd slash upgrade time!!!!

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by jenkins23, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jenkins23

jenkins23 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey everyone I recently started upgrading my TRAXXAS SLASH 2WD. It is the Ford Raptor SVT version, I originally bought it for racing in the SPEC class at my local offroad RC track, BUT I did not have enough time to really get over to any events, so I decided to do some upgrading here are a list of upgrades done so far and another list of upgrades to come:

Upgrades done so far:

TRAXXAS slash aluminum castor blocks
    TRAXXAS slash aluminum steering hubs
    TRAXXAS slash aluminum stub axel carriers
    TRAXXAS slash aluminum toe links and turnbuckles
    TRAXXAS slash aluminum big bore shocks
    RPM front and rear bumpers
    RPM front and rear A-ARMS
    RPM front and rear skid plates
    RPM mud flaps
    PROLINE Steering Kit with aluminum servo arm
    Great Hobbies 2cell 5000mah

Upgrades still to come:

RPM nerf bars
    Castle Creations Sidewinder 6900kv waterproof
    brushless system.

Here's a few pics of everything so far
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Slimjr331

Slimjr331 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Really Nice. You have done alot of upgrades. I was so close to buying the Ford Raptor SVT version. I love those RPM mudflaps. I have to get them. I am saving money up for upgrades on my 2wd slash. I have a Sv2 4600kv brushless system for it already and RPM rear bearing carriers.

3. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks man I love this thing, I love the raptor body too but I originally wanted the blue body but my hobby shop only had white and red so I figured not many ppl have white sct truck bodies so it worked out. How fast do you think yours goes with the 4600kv system in it?? And are you running nimh or lipo??

4. Slimjr331

ELiTE MEMBER

I am using both nimh and 2s lipo with the XL-5 brushed system and Lipos with the Sv2 4600kv brushless system. I put the XL-5 Brushed system back in my slash when I want to bash in the snow or water. I have to waterproof my SV2 4600kv system. I have not checked the speed yet with the sv2 4600kv and 2s lipo in the slash. I will have to do acouple speed runs tomorrow with the Sv2 4600kv and 2s lipo and see how fast it does go. I have only used 2s lipo so far. I have 3s Lipos also, but have not tryed them in the slash yet. My 2wd slash was really quick with the Sv2 4600kv brushless system and Gens Ace 2s 5000mah 40c hardcase Lipo in it. Just not sure on the MPH though. I will find out tomorrow.

5. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks man that would be awesome, I just want a rough idea if how fast or how much faster my slash is going to be with the 6900kv sydewinder system in it compared to the stock 30mph, thanks for the help bud

6. Eagle7812

Eagle7812 New Member

looks really good im saving up for the mip kit for my losi scte ill post pics when i finaly get it lol love the mud flaps you put on

7. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks man I think the flaps look pretty good, I will have to post up some pics with the body on so you get the full effect of how they look. I was thinking about getting the nip driveshafts for m slash but I'm not sure cause I'd rather break a driveshaft the rip trans gears apart with that 6900kv system, so I'm not sure I will prob upgrade them sooner or later haha

8. Slimjr331

ELiTE MEMBER

jenkins, I have not had a chance to do the speed runs with the slash. it rained the last 2 days. going to be sunny tomorrow. So I am going to do the speed run before I have to go to work.

9. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Sweet man thanks I will keep an eye on here for your reply. I did a speed test with mine and I got a reading with my I phone of 26mph and that's the stock motor but I did it with a free speedometre app on my phone and I think it's about 2 to 4 mph slower then actual speed, so the 30mph out of the box is pretty accurate, but I'm interested to see if yours is the same or if mine is faster with the 2 cell lipo. Are you running lipo or nimh?

10. Slimjr331

ELiTE MEMBER

jenkins, I am running 2s Lipos and the 7cell 3000mah Nimh battery that come with the slash. i have 3s lipos too, but have not tryed them yet in the slash. I am going to do the speed runs with either a Gens Ace 2s 5000mah 40c lipo or Sky Lipo 2s 4400mah 30c lipo. I don't think I am going to try the 3s Lipo though. maybe. I have everything ready for tomorrow. Just got done messing with the slash. Had to make a platform so I could put the Sv2 esc in the same spot the traxxas XL=-5 esc was. I used 3M dual lock velcro to hold the esc down. That stuff is awesome.

11. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

That's awesome Slimjr thanks for the help man, I'm running a 2 cell lipo with 5000mah at 30c I believe. Haha can't remember I plastidipped my lipos so I can't remember if they were 30 or 40 continuous current but either or there pretty much the same batteries. So we're using the same batteries and with the same truck, I'm interested to see if you speedometre reads the same speed at mine.

12. Slimjr331

ELiTE MEMBER

jenkins. I went out today and did some speed runs with the 2wd slash. I was using 19t 48p pinion and 86t 48p spur gear. Everything on my 2wd slash is stock accept the Sv2 4600kv brushless system and the Gens Ace 2s 5000mah 40c hardcase lipo. The max speed I got was 36 MPH. I am not sure if weather plays a part but it is 46 degrees outside. I am going to try the 3s lipo sometime over the weekend or next week.

13. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Sweet thanks for doing the speed test for me man, the system I have on order is the 6900kv castle sydewinder waterproof system so I'm thinking I should be able to get about 50 mph out of it. Might have to play with the pinion and spur gear a bit but should be about 45 maby a little better, I hope anyway haha

14. Slimjr331

ELiTE MEMBER

No Problem. I am going to mess with pinion and spur gears and see it I can get it to go faster on 2s lipo. I have a 23t 48p pinion I am going to try on my next day off work. I want look into the 32 pitch pinion and spur gears.

#14 Slimjr331, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  15. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Kool man thanks just don't over heat your motor when you change the gearing. Haha I burnt out a few motors that way. I'm going to mess with mine when I get the new brushless system installed. I like the 32 pitch gears, m only concern is that with all the power you might start stripping spur gears if they are plastic, but won't know if you don't try and there pretty cheap to replace. Let me know how it goes if you try it.

16. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Well it's been quite a while since I've done any upgrades so I figured it been long enough. Finally my new brushless system arrived. And I have since installed the rpm gearbox and new gears. I was also getting sick of te white raptor body so I decided to remove all the stickers and repaint it. Now I know since I painted it on te outside because I don't have the money for a new one yet, tht when I hit or roll or whatever that the scratches will show through and you will see the white underneath. But oh we'll it's just to hold me over until I get my new one.
    So here it the new castle creations sidewinder 3 6900kv waterproof brushless system. This system is not recommended for this truck, but oh we'll!! Haha
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

And here is the new old body. I'm thinking of going with a similar look with the new one when I get it image.jpg
    image.jpg

Thanks for looking and please let me know what yas think.

17. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Just keep a close eye on temps and put the smallest pinion you have in it! Ive got the SV3 6900kv combo too it does great in my Twin Hammers!

18. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

What gearing are you running in your twin hammers??

19. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey everyone once again it's been a little while but I finally picked up the new body for my slash. Hope yas like it image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

20. jenkins23

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey everyone. Been quite a while since I have updated this thread but much has been done!
    Recently added upgrades-
    Hitec: primium digital super speed metal geared servo
    STRC: aluminum front and rear A-Arms
    front and rear Skidplates
    Golden Horizon: aluminum Gear Box
    Proline: Bow Tie's on front / Trenchers on rear
    Great Hobbies: 4000mah 3cell LiPo w/35c

Pictures will be soon to follow