1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2wd vs 4wd traxxas slash

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by diesel34, Aug 16, 2013.

1. diesel34

diesel34 New Member

So this is going to sound kind noobish, if that's even a word, but I was watching some of the Traxxas T.O.R.C series with the short course trucks and figured out that the "pro 2" and "pro 4" means. They are running four wheel drive in pro 4 and two wheel drive in pro 2. So now I don't feel so dorky wanting to get a 2wd slash. I think I can start out with a 2wd, and then get into the 4wd trucks once I get it down. Im assuming that rc racing is the same way? they probably have 2 and 4 wd races with sct at the rc track? I could also google it but then I cant talk to you guys on the rcsparks forum.. But what are some of your opinions on the 2wd slashs vs the 4wd? Is it a waste of time to run the 2wd or should I just get a 4wd? I know its probably a preference of choice and taste and what I want to do, but I wanted to know if their are some benefits to driving 2wd?over driving 4wd and vice verse, I know a 4wd can probably bash over anything better but im sure a 2wd can still bash pretty good, and race pretty good, I don't know...

2. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

I don't have nether of those trucks, but I have had both 4wd and 2wd. Both have ups and downs about them. 4wd is a blast to run. Its point and shoot. Its also a bit more work to keep up. 2wd can drift like you were a pro once you get the hang of it. It takes a bit less work.Find out the biggest class at your track. Then ask those guys for their thoughts to the truck. Some times, though not always, it is a bit easier to run a class with more people due to there is more help from fellow racers.
    What ever you get have fun with. Even if people crack on you about it. Its you rig, so have fun and enjoy. If you have racing questions, I can try to help.

3. kuskye25

kuskye25 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

again depends on what your driving terrain is... for me i mostly run on loose dirt tracks... so for me its hands down the 4x4

4. minierevo

minierevo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i drove a 2wd slash and is a blash to drive if you do get a 2wd slash let off the gas in a turn or you may flip also if you have a traxxas rustler there is a kit to turn it into a low center of gravity 2wd slash or you could buy a 2wd slash and then get a anza chassis for the slash to make it low center of gravity but the aluminum chassis does make it a little heavier than the stock chassis

5. seth_noel

seth_noel New Member

i have the 2wd and my buddy has the 4wd and the 4wd has much better handling so in the long run you might be happier with the 4wd but i've heard that 4x4 racing is a bit more hardcore and more expensive so if you have the money i say 4wd :)

6. sickinger

sickinger Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I dont have the slashes but I do have a 2wd and 4wd cars. The 4wd cars have lots of traction and are a little heaver as the 2wd are lighter so the spin tires easier. But they are both fun to run and bring a smile to my face

7. Megatoys

Megatoys Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

4wd all the way. 2wd is not add fun imo

8. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    yep. imm all about the 4wd aswell. i cant keep any of my 2wd rigs in anything close to a strait line for more than 5 feet. lol

9. Grizzlyman98

Grizzlyman98 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I dont have a slash but i love my 2 wd sure 4wd drive is easier but once you know how to control your rear tires irs the funnest

10. evanmatulina

evanmatulina Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

On a loose surface the 4wd will be more predictable than the 2wd. It's a point and shoot thing. 4wd pulls hard in the turns and is generally faster around the track because it has more traction. But when there is snow you can drift like a complete pro as if you were a 20 year veteran in drifting. The 2wd on the other hand, can be a slight handful if you're new to the 2wd world, but one you get the hang of it's the funnest thing. Slower but more fun.
    Foe both the 2wd and 4wd slash there are lcv kits you can buy. They will lower the truck's centre of gravity and increase it's handling performance. All you have to do is choose.

11. teosrc

teosrc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

4x4 Slash will handle much better than the 2wd Slash.
    I love my Slash 4x4.

To be honest, people don't normally use Slashes in racing... at least not the "pros". They use Team Associated, Losi, and other RC brands that lean more towards the racing scene.

12. kelownaCRAWL

kelownaCRAWL Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i like were you are going teo and your saying the truth. when i was racing at a track were i live i raced team associated rcs and other4x4 cars and i came 6th out of 14 with my 2wd slash, but it was just luck i think but it was really hard but fun, but 4x4 rcs are more fun and have 10x times more control