1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2wd vs 4wd

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by crispy, Feb 6, 2015.

1. crispy

crispy Member

I ordered my traxxas vxl 2wd today! So pumped! Seems like I said something wrong in the store when I said 2wd. Not to mention they had to order it. I take it that 90% of folks would rather have 4wd. I like the challenge of a 2wd with lots of power! Slide into corners and drift back out. Holding it steady over jumps and learning to stick a landing. I understand that, at first, 2wd isn't user friendly. A little work never killed anyone. Anyway, I stood my ground and went 2wd and I can't wait!

2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    2wd is a load of fun and just as fun as 4wd. It challenging to control at times but that's where the fun comes from, challenging yourself. Donuts and burnouts on demand!

BigMike81 likes this.
  3. 68camaro

68camaro Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

heck yeah! 2wd is better imo for sc trucks or anything of that nature. Ive raced both 4wd and 2wd slashes and ive always proformed way better with my 2wd . Maybe because for the last 6 years ive raced with a 2wd? What exactly did you order? I can go to the track with my sc10 and woop everyone on the oval track, 4wd slashes , 1/8 brushless buggyies . You will not be disappointed with your choice of 2wd!

BigMike81 likes this.
  4. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

The 2WD takes more driver skill than the 4WD (This is why we [my kids and I] started out with 2WD). At our local track one of the most popular classes is the 1/10 4WD SC. The 2WD 1/10 SC exists but is no where near as popular.

You will build better driver skills with the 2WD for sure...

Dean

BigMike81 likes this.
  5. crispy

crispy Member

I'm starting with the traxxas slash 2wd vxl for my first short course. 40 mph out of the box and up to 70 mph with 3s lipo. Should be a good skill builder. Almost went nitro but talked myself out of it. I've already purchased all the stuff for long travel suspension for the buggy body from jconsepts. Most of the alum upgrades I bought are from integy. I'm going silver and blue. Ill post before and after pics. I'm waiting on the phone call to tell me its in! I can't wait! I feel like a kid!

BigMike81 and RustyWrench like this.
  6. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

Very good choice, do you plan on racing more or bashing more?

7. crispy

crispy Member

Bash first then race. There is a new indoor track that I may have to hit after I bash a while.

8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

nice. I've run a 4x4 slash. it handles great. I drive a 2x4 rc10t3. which is way more challenging. some times adding a bit of weight in the front helps. to keep the nose on the ground. ( the old t3 has a fresh castle sv3 and 7700kv)
    have fun. and keep rpm parts in mind. if u break any thing. they have the best ball cups. a arms. and bumpers. with them and ti links . and the alloy parts. u will be bash proof

BigMike81 likes this.
  9. crispy

crispy Member

Right on! I've looked at rpm, they do have some killer upgrades.

10. Rustic4x4

Rustic4x4 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I hear ya on skill building with a 2wd, soo much fun though!! I got the same truck about a month ago, the slash 2wd vxl. and yes it was very fun, but short lived, id did a tiny jump(maybe 3 feet of air and 5foot jump) and my lipo slamed to the back and broke the balancing plug right off( wont hurt the truck) but then it started acting funny, it would just stop. until I gave it a little kick then it would go again, then stop, kick- go, you get the idea,lol when I went inside I opened it up to find the ESC smelt burnt.. im am now sending it back to traxxas to have it looked at.

11. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

Were you running a 3s? They say you can run 3s and you can but only do one pass.

12. crispy

crispy Member

[​IMG][​IMG]this mother is fast!

13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

nice. keep a check on the esc and motor temps. if u can hold both for five seconds after a hard run then all is good. my buddy has a vol rustlers and slash ultimate and owns no 2s batteries. 3s only. so the gearing needs to be right for the conditions.

14. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

Oh reason I was saying no 3s really was because i. Burned up a vxl when running a 3s, traxxas told me only to do one pass

15. Rustic4x4

Rustic4x4 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    nope it was a 2cell