1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3s with the ae-2 esc?

Discussion in 'Trail Truck Electronics' started by memphis2857, Jul 30, 2012.

1. memphis2857

memphis2857 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So I have seen a few people claiming to run 3s with the axial ae-2. They say all you need is a bec. Anybody doing this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think they will run 3s ok.
    Don't they have a bec built in?

3. Automan

Automan New Member

Have anyone tested this on a new rtr honcho or similar with this esc and stock engine ? stock engine on the new honcho is 27t ? I am going to get my honcho in a few days.. and i only have 3s lipos and 4s 6s, so would be nice if i can run on 3s ;) do i need to use bec if running on 3s ?

4. memphis2857

ELiTE MEMBER

I have been running 3s for a few weeks now with no problems. You have to have a bec though. It is well worth the money

Sent from my DROID RAZR

5. Honda95freek

Honda95freek MadMan Moderator

Yes for sure you need to buy a bec to run 3s. Castle creations makes one, that's what I have on mine. If not then 2s is all you should run on a ae-2

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

6. badmonkey269

badmonkey269 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

whats the max volts you can run on the AE-2? can it run on 7.4v's and or 8.4v's i got a traxxas power cell battery from a traxxas rtr and would like to run it.as of now all i run is nhims cause thats all i have ATM lol. and if you can run 7.4v's i'll get some higher mAh. atm i just run 2000mAh 7.2v's battery's in my honcho and i do really need to get more powerful one as i just put in a tekin 35tHD motor in it.any help on the volts i can run would be great guys thanks.

#6 badmonkey269, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  7. Scurvy

Scurvy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So, this terminology confuses me:
    "Can run but need a bec"

But, WTF does that actually mean? Anything can run on any high voltage if you put a voltage regulator inbetween. Is the bec required for the OTHER electronics in the truck, or does the ESC itself actually need the voltage from the 3s regulated, in which case I would have to say NO, this thing can't use 3s, BECAUSE it needs a bec.

Unless I'm completely missing some point in my newbieness?

8. Honda95freek

9. Honda95freek

**You can run higher voltage batteries such as a 7 cell NiCad/NiMH or 3 cell lipo with the installation of a “Castle BEC”

10. Scurvy

ELiTE MEMBER

Yes, I read that, and it illustrates my point. Axial itself is unclear as to where the BEC needs to be.

So once again, can I plug a 3S into my AE-2 directly or does it need a Voltage Regulator (an ancient version of which carries the name BEC we now use)?

That quote Honda95freek posted is basically all Axial has to say about it, which I find clear as mud.

It's like saying a battery can run off 1000S if you limit the voltage... DUH, of course it can, because the voltage regulator makes the ESC itself only see 2S worth of the 1000S battery.

Again, unless there's something maybe-not-obvious that I've missed.

11. TrickyD

TrickyD New Member

The BEC is for the servo and reciever. The AE-2 is supposed to handle 3s fine but it's BEC can't regulate that down for the servo(s) and receiver. So, and I'm fairly confident with this answer, yes the AE-2 will handle 3s from what I've read and people I've talked to about it. But, it won't be able to regulate it down for your servo and reciever, that's why you need the external BEC. Hope this helps....

12. memphis2857

ELiTE MEMBER

OK you are WAY over thinking this. The bec is what supplies power to the reciever and servos. The ae-2 has a built in bec BUT it cannot handle 3s or large hump packs. Therefore you have to bypass the internal bec and ad an external one. Your motor will still benefit from the extra voltage of the larger battery packs. Another benefit of an external bec is that you can change its output voltage. The stock ae-2 bec puts out around 5.1v. Most servos and receivers can handle at least 6.1v so you will gain some extra torque out of your servos as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

13. Honda95freek

Perfect, thank you! Well said!

14. Scurvy

ELiTE MEMBER

THANK YOU BOTH for such clear and concise answers!
    :in love:

OMG, why didn't axial just f!ing say that clearly in the first damned place.
    :yuush:

I certainly wasn't going to assume it worked and plug shit in, but I didn't find any place that said that it was only an issue with the internal voltage regulator, so an external VR would be needed for any connected electronics, but that the ESC Itself would deal with the voltage and motor just fine.

15. TRIALNERROR

TRIALNERROR Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I totally get the confusion. And still am kinda.

http://castlecreations.com/products/ccbec_diagrams/ccbec_wiring.html

This link shows the CC BEC set up guide. At the battery (lol up to 6s) they have leads going to the ESC and motor and leads to the CC BEC from that to the reciever and servo and back to the ESC.
    Well. Here's the confusing part. I get that the reciever and servos need regulated power hence the BEC on high voltage packs. But based on that pic, they have up to 6s going straight to CC ESC, I think what most want to know, is The AE-2 going to handle the extra voltage. It says 2s max. But if the BEC isn't regulating the volts to ESC. What then?

Sent from my .•||||||•.
    0-----0
    BURN EM IF YOU GOT EM!

16. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Better answer below

#16 summitnut, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  17. Scurvy

ELiTE MEMBER

As they said above, the ESC itself can handle the power for it's actual ESC "job", but the built-in BEC/VR part of the equation cannot properly regulate that high a voltage down to it's set 5V level.

So while the ESC itself will be fine, you must remove the power wire from it's connection to the Rx, and power the Rx and other electronics (lights/servos/etc) with another VR/BEC.

Like that wiring diagram says, in fact! Although I never understood why until now.

#17 Scurvy, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  18. TRIALNERROR

TRIALNERROR Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So with a BEC I can run 6s on my AE-2?

Sent from my .•||||||•.
    0-----0
    BURN EM IF YOU GOT EM!

19. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    the 6s diagram is shown using a mamba monster esc is my guess.It (the MMM) is capable of 6 s input
    Your esc is capable of 3s max.Any more than that and you have a smelly melted paperweight on your bench

Sent using lipo power

20. memphis2857

ELiTE MEMBER

Bahahahaha!!! I have one of those!

[​IMG]