1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Brushless Motors Powering Scale Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by K.C.'s RC, Oct 8, 2016.

1. K.C.'s RC

K.C.'s RC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Medic inspired me. I loved the videos he made of Overkill Version 1. 4 brushed motors, GMC TopKick body, awesome plow truck. That's what inspired me. I want to build a scale Chevy plow truck, and have everything figured out except the complex wiring. I wanted to do 4 brushed motors, but then thought 6 would be sick. I would only need 3 ESCs because I would be using the Hobbywing dual ESCs. But, Medic uploaded that video of his new puller truck the other day powered by the brushless motor and got me hooked. I was planning on doing a cheap build with the 10 dollar RC4WD brushed motors, but, I might as well just splurge. It's gonna cost over $1K with budget parts, so I'm just gonna go crazy with it and have all Vanquish, brushless motors, all fancy stuff. Might as well. I realized the power of 1 brushless motor, so I will be cutting back to 4. It will also make a better proportion for the body, I will use the Pro-Line Chevy Honcho body, and be making a bed out of styrene. (2 more motors= 1 more transmission with 2 motors, dual mount plate=couple more inches of truck length, so shorter truck= better proportion of cab and body) My plans for the electronics are MyTrickRC lights, 4 brushless ESCs to power 4 brushless motors, 2 servos, 1 winch, and lots of LED's. I already know I will need a BEC, but I'm really confused on the voltage to run at and all that stuff. Please help. Thanks.

Sent From My SM-N930F Using Tapatalk

tallyforeman likes this.
  2. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Planned LED locations for front end:[​IMG]
    White circles I will be putting in the bright white 5mm from MyTrickRC, amd the orange circles I will be putting in the orange 3mm lights from them, for turn signals.

3. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Planned LED locations for rear. As I said, I'll be making a bed out of styrene. So, I colored in a bed, and put the planned LED locations.

[​IMG]

4. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Oops, made a mistake. It's "Red, White Reverse, Red", not "Red, Red, White Reverse".

[​IMG]

Antho11 likes this.
  5. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Be interesting to see how this goes.

As far as batteries go, I would recommend one battery for each ESC and then run a BEC from one of the batteries for all of the other accessories (unless you want a third of or that), but I don't think that the other accessories servo's and lights will draw that much current.

You may want some high discharge capable batteries tho to cope with the demands that full throttle at full load on both motors will pull.

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  6. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks a lot! So, what C raring do you think I should use? 3S or 2S? I haven't decided on ESCs yet, but for motors I'm probably going to do HH Puller Pros. I'll probbaly use CC BEC Pros.

7. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    just because of the amount of motors I would say 3s, C rating could just be whatever you have on hand, higher would allow you to add more torque.

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  8. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok, thanks!

9. thatbrokesomethin

I would run one 2s to each esc at least 25c running 3s to each would be pretty fast for trying to plow snow where you want torque. I would use a separte smaller reciever type lipo pack to run all the lights n such.

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  10. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you very much for the input.

11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

i know you set your heart on the 4 brushless motors ... if massive brushed torque would appeal to you ... i run one of theese http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dewalt-20V-...195620?hash=item3d231e55a4:g:Np8AAOSw-nZTrAIM
    on 6S using a Holmes Hobby BR-XL esc ... and it has gobs of torque even on 2S power .. 2 of them could easily be run by a single BR-XL and dramatically cut cost for you .
    my single motor on 6s will give you all the torque needed and gobs of wheel speed to boot .. .. ... a castle link will allow you to fine tune the esc to get the throttle and brake curves where you want them ..and the HH brxl is crawler specific ... no double tap for reverse the drag brake acts as the brakes so when you let go it stops ... will make plowing much easier ... ( now keep in mind i had to dremel out my motor mount to accept the monster Dewalt and lift the transmission about 1/8" to fit it.
    but on the other hand 4 brushless motors sounds awesome as well ..

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  12. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks! So, it's a 775 size? Maybe I'll do 4 of those. I'm not sure.

13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

with the one on 2s i can hold a tire and flip the 10+ lb truck creeping on the throttle.
    im using a Devo 10 flight controller with the Deveation software installed so plenty of options for addons ... as of now i only have 4 wheel steering but will be adding a winch soon . here is a super short film of me gunning it at full power
    the motor is technically a 771 size it dwarfs a 540 and 550 motor and im running a 4:1 ratio between the spur and pinion gear .. gearing is limited when doing this mod but the motors torque will pull .. no problem .. i use 32 pitch gears .. and run RRP wraith steel gears in my transmission with stock out drives .. and Junfac drive shafts .. axles are stock other then the C-hubs and knuckles .

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  14. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Holy crap! Nice!

Y2daT likes this.
  15. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i'm going to try and be a voice of reason, while I agree, 4 brushless motors would be awesome, have you stopped to think about the destruction that kind of power will cause, forget stock gears, they will self destruct the 1st time you punch the throttle, and I don't see axial hd or after market gears doing much better, then you have the drive shafts to consider, even top brands will have trouble dealing with that kind of power, there's also axle shafts, bearings, diff housings, transmission gears, ect. all of these parts will quickly die under the kind of power 4 brushless motors would put out, and that's not even bringing up how brushless motors aren't real good when low speed torque is needed, in all honesty going with the motor esc combo @Y2daT uses as either a single or dual setup would be a much better choice for your build IMO.

Y2daT, Little Rascle and K.C.'s RC like this.
  16. K.C.'s RC

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok, thanks. The transmission gears will be RPP Hardened Steel, the tranny housing will be VP, I will have aluminum tranny mounts, MIP shafts, VP axles.

17. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    that's kinda my point, with the amount of power 4 brushless motors would make even top brand parts are going fail pretty quickly, are you going to have the ability to replace them every few months? as anyone with a high power rc can tell you, the more the power goes up, the cost to keep it going goes up too.

18. Keenan Williamson

Sounds cool. I will stay here and watch this build. I would like to know how to do builds. Never done one.

19. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I can't say, at least for me, there's a lot to doing a build, I decide what kind of build I want to do, then look around to see if anyone has done one similar, I make a list of parts and start looking them up to find the best choices for my application, i then start buying parts starting with the more expensive items like axles, transmission, and chassis. most of my builds start off with me wanting a specific look or ability, so whenever possible i will adapt an existing rc to my needs.

20. Keenan Williamson

Oh ok. Thanks. But I dont have an all out budget, even though that I do work at Lego and make a lot of money per 3 weeks. I cant afford all the parts, and the nearest hobbystore is 30 + miles away