1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4WheelRC's SCX10 build thread: 'Project Lighting'.

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by 4WheelRC, Aug 25, 2013.

1. 4WheelRC

4WheelRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey folks, sorry for the lack of updates recently - Been busy with work etc. Hope to have some more running videos edited & uploaded soon :)

Also have also been busy turning the custom bodyshell mount plates I made up out of aluminium into a 3D CAD design and just got some printed in nylon. So if you want to mount your SCX10 bodyshell like I do (with no ugly posts sticking out and no need for body clips), checkout the website I just made for them: SCX10 Bodyshell Mount Plate.

#81 4WheelRC, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  2. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey folks! Now that I have been driving the Rubicon a few times (including Class 2 competitions) here are my '1st thoughts' and some issues that need fixing... A few more update videos will follow once I have worked through suspension issues, wheel weights, tyre & foam etc. set-ups:

#82 4WheelRC, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  3. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    glad you figured it out! I had to re-secure my CMS the other day, it was sliding around on the frame and making my steering floppy.

tell Katniss and the minions hi for me.. lol

4. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

I passed on your hello. The Minions are definitely getting restless and need to get out soon ;-)

5. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

The Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 speed controller had to go: I never planned on using it in the SCX10 and as it is not a sensored brushless motor controller the very low speed control is not great, plus is it very noisy at low speeds. As I wanted to try out waterproofing using epoxy resin I thought I'd try a very cheap 'X-Car' brushless sensored ESC from HobbyKing...

... I have been running the X-Car ESC for a couple of months since filming this and overall it works great. But the 30% of throttle maximum drag brake is just not enough to hold my approx. 9lb truck on steep slopes :( But I have a solution in the works :)

#85 4WheelRC, Apr 23, 2014
  6. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Katness & Peeta are continuing their shake down rides with the Rubicon. Before they return to Sector 7 to find the mutated minions, they try the shocks in 'droop' and extra equipment in the trailer :)

#86 4WheelRC, Apr 30, 2014
  7. docdowling

docdowling New Member

Great updates man

8. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Was out in the woods at the weekend having some fun... Bet our dog thinks I'm mad (I know my wife does already)! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

10. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Finally solved the nasty bump steer caused by my Chassis Mounted Servo :) The fix was not trying to reduce the angle of the drag link (although this helps), but instead needing to run it parallel to the panhard bar...

#90 4WheelRC, Jul 17, 2014
  11. Deadbolt985

Deadbolt985 New Member

It amazing that just swapping one link will do

12. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

How to make scale registration plates, smart phones, tablets (iPads) etc. for your models: I shot this ages ago, but hadn't gotten round to editing it :slow: Hope it is useful...

#92 4WheelRC, Aug 11, 2014
  13. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Okay, so not the most exciting SCX10 build video I have ever done ;) but hope it is useful if you are considering these upgrades...

#93 4WheelRC, Sep 2, 2014
  14. Demon2236

Demon2236 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

great stuff :)

i got a few aluminium parts fro my honcho from royal_rc on eBay i think they are the same parts as jazrider but in the uk.

i have found the dingo bumper is much firmer now and doesn't bend around like it did with the stock bumper mounts.

only problem i have found is the front shock towers seem to be slightly wider that the stock ones.

15. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

*Spoiler Alert* Glimpse of a future build in the middle *Spoiler Alert* I have spent lots of (probably too much!) time fiddling with my scale winch set-up. Hopefully the following will help others avoid some of the problems and frustrations I have solved along the way: Get ready for a 'deep dive' into mounting scale model winches, hooks, line, snatch blocks, fair leads etc. :sweat:

#95 4WheelRC, Sep 26, 2014
  16. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Been a while since my last scale truck video, as I have been out & about doing lots of driving and fiddling. Now I'm back into the 'studio' to let y'all know what I have been up to. Lets start with winches [​IMG]

rcman219 likes this.
  17. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

More winch upgrades for the Rubicon... Here is an in-depth look at the excellent 'Commando Winch System' free spool upgrade kit for 3Racing winches, from LockedUpRC.com:

buttm0nk3y likes this.
  18. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

#98 4WheelRC, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  19. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Back to the Axial SCX10 2012 Rubicon after some time!... I shot this about a year ago and have been sitting on the footage while long-term testing the new Tekin RS Gen 2 Electronic Speed Control + ROC 412 1800kV sensored brushless motor.

I am loving the control, tunability and power from this set-up. It is $$$xpensive, but worth it: With over a year of trailing, lots of under water running and monthly competitions everything is still working perfectly and I am confident that the epoxy waterproofing stands up to wear & tear (more on that in the next video).

I hope you enjoy the footage of the test competition course I set-up in some local woodland. I have learnt so much about driving and tuning the SCX10 over the last year - lots of videos coming up on that. Next time I will show you how I epoxy waterproofed the ESC AND motor; yes, you can make a sensored motor waterproof :)

20. 4WheelRC

ELiTE MEMBER

These 2 videos have been a long time in the making... I hope y'all find them useful [​IMG]