1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sleepless King Hauler

Discussion in 'Highway Trucks & Trailers' started by Gromit, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Friends, Romans, Contrymen...

I made up my mind (again!) about what to do with my King Hauler. It is going to stay a generic American classic truck, but a vintage one. The inspiration came from a picture i stumbled over on the web a while ago, of a Diamond Reo in Australian livery. Not the typical Aussie road train with 17 axles and tanks all over it but a smaller rig. Like the old Peterbilt tractor unit in Duel, but with a flatbed trailer instead of the tank, and in much better condition (and a hopefully less diabolic driver).
    This means a lot of plastic surgery around the nose, which should be managable. The harder nut is that I intend to scrap the sleeper box, which means I need to hide the battery somewhere else. I see two options:

1: under the frame between the tanks like on Tamiya's European trucks. Could be rather tricky since older trucks are more transparent down there.
    2: under the bonnet. I remember seeing a gearcase for Tamiya Trucks that is very compact and is located between the Chassis rails, thus leaving enough room upstairs. But I cannot find it any more on Google.

Has anyone here tried something similar or has any ideas?

Enjoy some light Music in the meanwhile (careful, the intro is even scarier than Medic's):

2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would measure up what space you are a nd see if you can get some lipo's to fit. You would be surprised.

Looking forward to this one

Edit: Just watched the video ... proof that crashing cars and trucks don't automatically explode! :D

#2 lout, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Gromit and Antho11 like this.
  3. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks a lot. Looks like I got too used to having a couple of one-size-fits-all NIMH-sticks lying around, not realizing that LiPos come in all shapes and sizes.
    My Scrooge McDuck mindset also shows through: rather bend over backwards and mess around with the transmission (and spend I don't know what on it) so I don't have to buy extra King-Hauler batteries (which won't be "extra", since they should fit in any boat that fits a stick).
    Hope I find time to start this soon. The Matador/SCX10 is nearing completion, and the motorcycle-season is drawing to a close, so I'm hopeful.

lout likes this.
  4. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh I understand completely. Wasn't till I started my Hotrod did I fully realise the extent of thendiffetent shapes. I also found out that a lot of guys out here use smaller 3s 2200mah lipos which really fit in tight spaces and when trailing they last almost as long as my 2s 5000mah

Gromit, Monkeypiarat and Antho11 like this.
  5. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Just stumbled over 2S shorty-packs, which should fit nicely, and also help me revive the old Wild Willy, and should fit HMS Pike much less tighly than NiMH sticks. So much for "King Hauler only" batteries.
    Also, after seeing that video again i start to doubt my judgement that you really only need the slow gear on a rig like that.