1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Whole Bunch Of Newby Questions?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by ChevyBot, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm new to RC and I May be purchasing the Axial SCX10 in the near future. Anyways, is a BEC necessary or mandatory to have for this kind of rig? What about the RC4WD TF2 or Gelande II? Any help will be much appreciated!

Also, which SCX10 in your opinion, looks the best, handles the best, works the best? This is all just your opinion!

And finally, What motor goes well in the SCX10?

2. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

depends,
    only REALLY need a BEC if your running a lot, like a winch, lights and so on.
    If you just running motor/ESC, and steering servo, you normally good to go without one.

from my outtings with SCX-10s, the longer wheel base ones do better, so like the Honcho over my Dingo.
    But I think the Dingo looks better

3. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Well I was planning on having lights and a winch so a BEC would be a good investment?

Where is a good place to buy electronics and a waterproof servo?

4. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

A couple more to add

-if you are going to run over 2s
    -If your servo will handle the 7.4v of a 2s and you wan't the extra turning torque.
    The Hitec 5646wp for example has 157oz/in at 6.0v but 179oz/in at 7.4v

The Axial AE2 ESC has an internal bec set at 5.0v which isn't using the full potential of the servo.

Even the stock Axial as-3 servo is capable of 6.0v
    Another popular waterproof servo is the Traxxas 2075 it to runs best on 6.0v

So as [MENTION=1737]Greenie[/MENTION] stated you are normally ok without one, but to get the max out of most servos a bec is a good
    bet.

5. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

What is a 2s? Like I said I'm new to RC so I don't know what most of the terms are

6. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

That is a 2 cell Lipo battery.
    With that said being new to the hobby I would stick with a nimh battery and skip the bec.
    Just have fun and learn the truck to start and step up later.

7. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

However, I hear that LiPo batteries are way better and more reliable so I'm not sure

8. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

More power-yes
    More reliable- no
    More dangerous- absolutely.

Starting out I definitely don't recommend lipo batteries.

9. DrGonzo666

DrGonzo666 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have to be honest with you. I didn't think the BEC did any more that cut out the battery. Doesn't BEC mean battery elimination circuit? Please enlighten me... Also, I keep my 3S LiPo in a charging bag inside of a .50 ammo box. I went right to LiPo. But I was nervous. So far so good though. No puffing and no explosions. So far...

Thanks Dudes

10. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Ok thanks for the tip. How many channels would I need on my receiver for winch, lights, steering servo, motor, and possibly transmission servo? I have many questions

11. DrGonzo666

ELiTE MEMBER

May I elaborate and say that 2S has (2) cells in series (S)

12. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    The BEC came into existence many many many years ago. It came into existence when the norm was a mechanical speed control. This meant that there were 2 servos 1 for steering and one for throttle.
    This also required a 4 cell, 6 volt power to be supplied to the receiver to power the receiver and the servos.
    This is the beloved battery we eliminated when speed controls started to have them built in and the B in BEC.

That being said the average bec in a speed control will only power itself, yes it powers itself and a normal servo along with the receiver.

You need an external BEC if you plan to play with high power servos, winches and or a ton of lights.

13. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

So staying on topic with the SCX10, what are you guys running for all of your electronics in it if you have one? And what would you suggest for a newbie like myself?

14. DrGonzo666

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Bro. A friend of mine used to RC back in the day. Before I knew him. He recently mentioned he had a 2 servo set-up. I think he had a Tamiya.

I'm goin' to look deeper into that cause I want to add a light bar. I'm hooked on the vanquish products. I confess.

15. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Go get a RTR SCX10 a battery, charger, do a little water proofing if your gonna swim and have fun.
    Worry about upgrades later, I have just as much fun with my stock scx as my ridiculously over priced modded scx.

16. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

The problem with that is I am buying the kit not the rtr

#16 ChevyBot, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Can anybody PM me? I have some questions that I want to ask an expert about

18. 6sharky9

6sharky9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Im sure most here can answer your questions..You may ask something someone else wanted to know who may read this.

19. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Alright,

Where is a good place to get electronics?
    Has anybody actually priced out how much it would be for an SCX10 kit + everything needed?
    How many channels do I need for steering servo, motor, tranny servo, light kit, light bar, winch and snow plow? Do I need that many channels or can I hook some things together like light kit and bar? What battery would work well for all of these things? Would I need a BEC for all these things? Yes I know it's kinda overkill but whatever.
    Are RC4WD's motors for $10 reliable?
    What turn motor would you recommend for scx10?
    What servos are waterproof? Which is cheapest
    Does the two speed tranny from rc4wd for scx work well?
    Are lipo or NiMH batteries waterproof?
    What motors are waterproof?
    Are BECs waterproof?
    Do balloons work well for waterproofing?

I think that's all but there may be more lol

#19 ChevyBot, Jan 9, 2014
  20. 6sharky9

6sharky9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Question 1...depends on what you want..name brand or not name brand
    question 2...depends who you buy from and what you want to put on it as to how much it will cost.
    question 3...Well ummmm..maybe someone else can answer..i only use a 2channel...A 3rd will be needed for a winch..the rest im not sure
    question 4 related to question 3..not sure
    Qusetion5..A lipo will work best for your need..2s and 3s are the most common used
    question6..Yes..you will need a BEC..A castle creations10 amp would be a good choice.
    Question 7..The 10-15 dollar motors are great for bashing in mud and water as they are disposable motors..rebuildable motors can also just cost more.
    Question 8..A 27T will give you more wheel speed..a 35t will give you better low speed control
    Question 9..Traxxas makes a waterproof servo for 30 dollars Part number 2075.

#20 6sharky9, Jan 9, 2014