1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Whole Bunch Of Newby Questions?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by ChevyBot, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

No rc4wd doesn't have that servo. And those parts suggested are quite expensive

2. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Actually the parts Ilisted are the el cheapo stuff in the RC hobby.

The rc4wd motors are the cheapest you can buy period.

The Sidewinder 3 is in the area of 70 bucks. One of the cheapest ones you can buy and worth the tiny extra due to being waterproof.

The Savox servo can be bought on Ebay for around 80 bucks. Extremely cheap compared to others in that torque range. You can buy cheaper servos, over and over if you would like to. Sooner or later you will spend more than you would have spent to buy the savox to begin with.

The Castle BEC is around 20 bucks on Ebay you will not find another that does what it does for less.

The FlySky GT3B and GT3C are about the cheapest most versatile radio system you can buy. The receivers are around 8 dollars. You will notfind a better radio system anywhere near its price.

If you think any of this is too expensive then why are you talking a winch and controller worth almost as much as your radio system had you bought the GT3B?

With all the questions and answers I have given it is grossly apparent that you should be taking EVERYONE'S advice here and getting a RTR version of whatever it is you were getting. You can't do what you want to do for a whole lot less without being disappointed that it broke or failed.

Your general attitude is that you should be able to build your own rig for the first time ever dirt cheap with all the bells and whistles. Nothing personal here but this hobby is not the cheapest hobby to be in. I have given you valid and situational advice, I was not trying to steer you into the most expensive set ups and still it is too much for you. I am at a loss for any more serious advice I can give you. You have managed to block everything I have suggested to now for one reason or another. I had tried to get you to do some research on the subject but to no avail apparently.

I honestly hope you are successful and when you are let me know for now I have invested too much time.

3. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Ok I apologize but I was just looking on rc4wd for those parts and not ebay. I thought that you never know what you are actually getting on ebay. And as for the rtr, I'm getting the kit because I want the experience of actually building it. And finally, I'm not going for dirt cheap. I want to obviously spend the least I can but I also want reliable parts. Your advice is helping me a crazy amount so I'm sorry if you think I'm not listening to you because I am

4. jaloos

Media:
    you can always get the rtr and tear it down a re assemble. It is actually a very good idea to do so any way to check for loose screws or other problems. It is also good routine maintenance.

You can then upgrade as needed instead of all at once.

#84 jaloos, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

That's not a bad idea. Do you know if they are tough to disassemble at all?

6. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

No harder than assembling.

7. jaloos

Media:
    Your killing me here.

You wanted a kit to build it now you want to know if its hard to take one already assembled apart.

8. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

What?! Your the one that suggested it for cryin out loud

9. jaloos

Media:
    I did but if you are questioning how hard it is to take one apart you would be in for 5 times the challenge building one from scratch.

10. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Whatever. I'm still unsure as to what I wanna do. Just called the hobby store and they said $289 for jeep kit and $250 for dingo. They also said $450 for jeep rtr

11. jaloos

Media:
    When ya figure it out let me know. Happy to help you with what you want when you actually know what you want.

12. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

Chevy, I can relate to asking all your questions beforehand in an attempt to not waste money, and also since you have the RC bug but no rig you've gotta scratch the itch somehow. I get it. BUT...

It's been suggested multiple times that you buy an RTR and get some miles under your belt before you start throwing money at it, and that is very good advice. If you are worried about not ever getting to take it apart, let me assure you that if you are mechanically inclined and motivated to "see how it works", you'll have many, many opportunities to disassemble it...probably several times in a row, for the same objective!

My second bit of advice is to search out people in your area that are RC nuts, too, and listen, observe, and ask them questions once you have a picture in your head of how it works. There very well may be someone in that group that will mentor you, and that is worth a million questions.

Also check out Craigslist (or whatever other site) for used rigs. I bought mine used, and I ended up paying less than Kit price for an upgraded RTR, with an extra set of tires.

You may decide, as I did, that having all that extra stuff on your rig isn't worth the problems that come with them. I'm referring to your list of equipment, i.e. snowplow, winch, lights, DVD player, ham radio rig, am/fm/cd stereo, yadayadayada. Anything over a 4 channel radio isn't pistol style and is expensive.

And remember, the purpose of the hobby, any hobby, is to have fun!

13. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Would a 15T motor be too low of turns for scx10?

14. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

15. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

a 27 comes in the RTR and works good for most driving , a 15 would not work very good.

16. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Why wouldn't it work very good?

17. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

the 15 turn will have very little torque and overheat very fast. the 15 is more for high speed

18. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

19. XJPhoenix

XJPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hi Chevy!

Yes, that receiver will work with a 1/10th scale RC vehicle. You'll need to purchase a radio as well though, and finding support for 27 mhz radios/receivers is getting more and more difficult. If you don't mind a little more advice, you may want to look at a newer 2.4 Ghz radio/transmitter system.

Looking up prices and availability, a cheap 27Mhz Radio can run $50-$60 dollars, and the receiver you're looking at can run in the $30-$40 range, for a combined total of $80-$100 for a 27 Mhz, 4-channel system. By comparison, a 2.4 Ghz 3-channel system from Spektrum costs, on average, $100-$110 and comes with both the radio and receiver. Yes, it costs about $20 more, but this radio can keep 20 different vehicles in its memory, and is superior in almost every aspect. (range, tunability, model memory, signal interference resistance, etc...)

Hopefully this post is helpful to you in making your decision. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

:)

#99 XJPhoenix, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  20. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah, I do often run a 21 turn in mine, and it gets hot QUICKLY. Also, a lot of the crawler ESC are only rated to a 21t motor as well.
    take the Tekin FXR. this that that's only rated to a 21t motor, and ONLY one 2s lipo, but if you go to a 35t motor, you can chop and change from 2s to 3s. The 3s on a 35t does make a good difference in speed for sure.

For trailing, I found the 21t to be a lot of fun, but due to the heat building up so quick, it would always cut the run very short. and not very good in the tight stuff.
    for actually crawling trailing, the 35t is WAY better. More torque for the tricky tighter stuff,(actually crawling), enough speed, a good jog to keep up, and run times through the roof, well over QUADROPLE the run time of the 21t.

#100 Greenie, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014