1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Whole Bunch Of Newby Questions?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by ChevyBot, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Ya I kinda thought so but i found an ad on kijiji for a traxxas 2075 servo, 2216 Reciever, a traxxas ESC and a 15t traxxas motor so I was just curious

2. XJPhoenix

XJPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Some deals are hard to pass up. I know I've pulled the trigger on such deals, and while some turned out quite well, others were just wrong from the get-go. :ouch:

One question that comes to mind for me, if you don't mind me asking; will you be picking up other RC's in the future? If you will, a higher-end radio would save you money in the long run. Something with multi-model memory can run all of your similar RC's (until they top out at 15, 20 or 50 models, depending on the radio chosen.) And by similar, I mean surface radios (boats, cars, trucks) or air (helicopters, planes, jets.) Sure, there's a higher outlay of cash at the beginning, but the next RC will only require a new receiver, which is $20 to $40 for many. There are cheaper ones, and more expensive ones of course.

:)

3. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Yes that's what my plan is.

4. XJPhoenix

ELiTE MEMBER

Then a radio with multi-model memory is perfect for you. You may want to start another thread asking folks about a solid multi-model radio that has the best bang for the buck in features as well as receivers that are good, but come in at a reasonable cost.

Another question that comes to mind; when you build an RC vehicle, are you looking for the lowest possible price to get it done, or are you willing to pay more for reliability and features?

Again, this question is not a criticism, and there's no wrong answer, it should help others direct you towards the right gear that will satisfy your needs.

5. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Well I mean nobody needs to spend a million on an rc but then again, if something is reliable, why not get it rather than buying many if others. So I guess a little of both. Staying with the topic of transmitters, is the Spektrum dx5-e have a multi-model memory?

6. XJPhoenix

ELiTE MEMBER

No, the DX5E doesn't have multi-model memory. I did find out something interesting during my searches though. Apparently it's the receiver that is bound when binding radio and receiver; the radio stays the same. Thus, you can have as many receivers bound to the same radio as you wish - the only real advantage to Multi-Model Memory is that with MMM individual vehicle settings are saved. If using a one-model memory radio with multiple vehicles, you would have to recalibrate the radio settings each time you went to a different vehicle (throttle/steering reversal, steering rate, etc...).

My apologies for leading you, and any other folks to believe that the only way to get multiple vehicles to work with a radio was to have multi-vehicle memory. I am fairly new to this hobby, and even though I thought I had the knowledge to help others in this regard, I was wrong.

:shy:

I agree about spending more so you only need to spend your money once. You may want to look into Hobbywing products; some folks think they're pretty solid with a good price point. Others should be able to offer better advice than I could on budget-minded, but solid gear.

#106 XJPhoenix, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  7. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

So I can use the dx5-e on more than one rc?

8. XJPhoenix

ELiTE MEMBER

From the sounds of things, yes. :)

Here's a site that answers that particular question. Using this radio with multiple models is explained here, it gives great tips for how to remember to adjust the particular settings one might like with each model.

One thing to consider with the DX5E is that it's built for RC planes. From the sounds of things the radio can be adapted to be used with RC cars and trucks, but will only work with air receivers. There'll be other adjustments as well, I heartily recommend doing a lot of research on this forum and others before going ahead. Here's a few interesting pages/threads I've found in my searches.

Using the DX5E for cars/trucks
    Using an airplane Rx in a car
    Another thread on using Airplane radios with RC cars and trucks. (This one has lots of info.)

HTH!

9. RCforU

RCforU New Member

Saskatoon Trail run

ChevyBot did you find a truck and remote? I'm from Warman just north of you and just traded my SCX10 away for a Summit. we have a group of people just for Saskatoon that talk all the time and do go on trail hikes (nothing as good as Crawler Teds, but it's local).
    I have a ton of parts after joining the RC hobby last year I now have 7 rc's 4 remotes, 10 receivers. if your stuck or couldn't find a good system let me know we can probably hook you up with something that will work.

PM me or ask for me at hobby world, I'm in there almost every day!

ToyotaTRD / Trevor on our local scene.

Saskatoon Trail run

here was a video shot on my first trail run. remember new to RC, never gone on a trail run and at this time I still didn't have a crawler. SO my video was pretty sad, but it's my first kick at the cat.

Crawlers - YouTube

#109 RCforU, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

As of right now, I don't have an rc mainly because I need to gain the money. I'd say in the next few weeks, I should have it. And your group sounds great. What is the age range if you don't mind me asking.?

11. RCforU

RCforU New Member

I understand the money, make sure you can afford it with out costing you something important... like food.

our club right now I believe has a 5, 6, couple 10 to 12, lots of 20 and some over 40 years old. there's always a different group of guys from weekend to weekend, but everyone I have met since joining has been easy to get along with. our 10 to 25 year old crew are great drivers and hard to beat on the track, lots of fun.

12. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

I will be buying an axial scx10 this weekend and when im done building i will consider joining your group

13. RCforU

RCforU New Member

That will be great Chevy,

I just want to make sure you know SORRCC is a race club and we're more focused on going fast. the club does enjoy all RC related conversations however and most of us have some type of a Crawler for the weekends we don't race.

I'm very excited for you, SCX10 is a crazy fun truck that you can drive just about anywhere! woot.

I just traded my SCX10
    [​IMG]

14. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

What servo would work well in an scx10?

15. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Hey I was wondering if you are allowed to put two brushed motors beside each other and have them touching without there being interference? If not, what can I put between the two to stop the magnetism? Does it ruin the motors if you have them touching?

16. 6sharky9

6sharky9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

RTR Honcho/Rubicon unlimited = under 400 shipped.

The ESC provided are made by Castle Creations for Axial and are capable of running a 2s battery from the start.

Drawback to the stock ESC= Axial saved money and had castle use a weak internal BEC that doesn't even supply 6 volts to a servo.

All is not lost however...With the External BEC you need or want anyways for lights and winche etc... makes the ESC as good as any ESC for double the cost.

The Stock motor works just fine in most cases and is easily replaced once worn or beaten to death.

The Servo is a great servo rated over 100oz.in./tq and comes with metal gears however not waterproof...The servo is made for axial by BlueBird but they skimped on their cost buy choosing bushings instead of bearings inside the servo...A simple upgrade by replacing the bushings with bearings...Without the upgrade in about 1 month or so you will have a lot of slop in the servo and that's not a good thing.

Everything else is the same parts you get in a kit minus a few suspension link and steering link upgrades which you can upgrade to any SCX10...Whatever else you want to add to the truck works just the same rather its a kit or an RTR but you have electronics already and can get started immediately with your fun.

Is the servo the best servo?..no its not but its adequate for most users.

Is the ESC the best...No its not but its as good as any brushed ESC if you buy the external BEC.

Is the motor the best..No its not..rebuildable motors with adjustable timing are the best but cost more and get destroyed just the same in mud and sand...If you have a motor lathe and know how to rebuild a motor then a rebuildable is the way to go...if not the cheap sealed can motors work just fine.

I Own the Holmes Hobbies BRXL ESC...got it on a black Friday sale last year for 72 dollars shipped to my door....Its the same exact ESC as the Stock RTR ESC just with a better internal BEC and it can use upto a 6s battery which you will never ever use in your scx10...ive not heard of anyone using more than a 4 s to be honest with you and you better have some high dollar upgrades to handle that power.

Im 30 plus years in RC and still chose the RTR over the kit for the electronics..Im going on about 1 yr now with mine and have had not a single problem or issue with any of it

The rest you get to take apart to upgrade when you want or need to..Im a build yourself type guy also but for what you get its stubborn not to choose the RTR unless you already have left over electronics from other RC's you may have had in the past and they are the proper items to use in a trail truck such as the SCX10.

Whatever you decide to do just have fun with it...You can get the same answer or many different answers on whats the best for this or that.

I personally recommend the RTR and use that as your baseline for learning the truck and what to upgrade or add next as you want or need it.

If you get the Honcho you already get tail lights and front bumper guard spot lights installed.

Add a BEC and a 2s lipo and run with it.

#116 6sharky9, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  17. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Thanks for your reply but I already have bought my dingo and put it together. All I need is a receiver/transmitter combo and then it's ready to go. I also already ordered a led kit and a motor heat sink.

18. 6sharky9

ELiTE MEMBER

Awesome...hoping to see a build thread from you on here with it.

What did you go with for a servo, ESC and motor?

#118 6sharky9, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  19. ChevyBot

ChevyBot New Member

Since it was my first one, I decided not to do a build thread but on the next one I hopefully will. For servo, I got a hitec 645 off of eBay, for ESC, I have a team wave RB-S which I really like a lot and for motor I got a brushless 13.5T novak with turbo. Now I know what your thinking, 13.5 is way too low for a crawler but I got heat sink and fan and I'm not doing a lot of crawling with it. It may be more of a scale racer I guess

20. 6sharky9

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok..well if its not a sensored system I hope you stick to the racer theme because they aren't very good for low speed maneuvers over rocks and obstacles...good for speed though.

The hitec 645 is an upgrade over stock with a little bit more power and its got bearings instead of bushings...so that should be ok for you.

You can still post up some pics..make it more of an upgrade thread as you do more to it along the way...Congrats on your SCX10