1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on first plane....

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by fjlilly, Jan 2, 2013.

1. fjlilly

fjlilly New Member

I was thinking of buying the HobbyZone Super Cub DSM RTF, and was wondering if anyone else has has experience with this one? Would this make a good plane to start off with? I have been mostly racing off-road short-course and buggy this past year, but I also wanted to get into flying as well.

2. Callmecowboy

Callmecowboy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've heard the super cub is kind of hard to fly. Thats what they said when I went to my local hobby shop. They recommended me the hobbyzone champ rtf. And I love it! Its about half the size of the super cub. I've crashed I know over fifty times. And Yea sure it's had minor breaks here and there but nothin hot glue and clear packin tape won't fix :) I highly recommend this plane. I don't own the super cub but the champ Is great. It is my first plane so it great for beginners. An now I can make it fly upside down, or very slow and low to the ground. For some reason I like doing this haha. Definetlly look into a simple flight simulator. WILL MAKE A WORLD
    OF DIFFERENCE

3. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Exactly the opposite, the Super Cub is the easiest plane I have ever flown. The Champ is harder, for two main reasons. Being smaller it gets tossed around by a breeze way more, and having less mass it's far more "twitchy" and harder to learn on. I'm not saying it's hard, just hardER than the Super Cub.

I've had two Super Cubs, one I kept totally stock for training people on, and the one I've done major mods to. You may have seen the vid...
    [video=youtube;yWUfAdw-nvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWUfAdw-nvM[/video]

But one thing to consider is the Champ is just under half the price of a Super Cub...

Now I'm sure you don't get much snow down in Arizona, but the floats do work great on non-frozen water as well. :)

4. Akkip

Akkip Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Awww yeah! now thats a good looking plane!
    Where were you on new-years eve? out flying i guess, lol.
    Very nice!

5. fjlilly

fjlilly New Member

Yeah, I have talked to several people at my LHS that fly the Cubs, I'm now 99% sure this will be the one I buy. I have been looking online, watching videos, seems like there are several modifications that people make to this plane, should I make these changes, or just try to fly stock at first?

6. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

At home actually, but a bunch of us went out flying New Year's Day.

We're planning to do more night flying on Jan 19th if the weather's half decent, so expect more vids. :)

7. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Fly it stock for a bit, especially as it's your first.

Also, normally you don't want to mod anything before you've flown it anyhow.

8. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    I've got 2 super cubs and the champ. They fly very similar. I suggest the s cub unless your specifically lookin for micro. Super easy to fly and nice and stable. Easily modded as well.

#8 00whynot, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. Rebel

Rebel New Member

I would go with the Super Cub, because in real life it was a trainer plane in the 1930's and known for its stability from the long wingspan and ability to fly slow to give pilots time to react and easily control the plane.

~Rebel

10. XLR8

XLR8 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you haven't already bought something and you want to fly what may be the most forgiving plane out there try a radian powered glider, not the pro the original. It's only elevator and rudder with a significant polyhedral at the wing tips which may sound like it doesn't offer much control but it does. It's not going to do rolls or inverted flight but for the basics of flying, orientation, depth perception, wind speed and direction etc it's fantastic. It will glide forever with the slightest lift and is very durable.

There are also the Apprentice 15e and the Sensei to consider.

11. maxx4d

maxx4d Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Being a novice pilot myself - I was under the impression that a cub would be the way to go so I went with the Multiplex FunCub as my first plane - but found that my lack of skill out weighed my ambition...now this plane is super easy to fly and I can fly it in any condition short of 25 mph winds but as a very first plane I would have to say the Hobby King AXN Floater Jet is the easiest plane to fly and as your ability increases you can practice many aerobatic maneuvers...I've crashed mine a million times and never added anything more than some tape and glue to the nose - plus its a $70 plane with everything ready to go (minus the standard 2200 3s battery) plus flight time is around 40 minutes (35 at full tilt) so you can take just one or two batterys and fly until your neck gets sore...Just my .02 but thats what I ended up spending most of my time in the first month or so flying and now I just use it for some night flying and go pro chase cam stuff but for 70 bucks its still one of my favorite planes.

By all means get a cub as your second because there's nothing like dropping bombs in the field from a few hundred feet up...and they're fun as all get out.