1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AEC Matador on SCX 10

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Gromit, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello Folks,

After a rant about unhelpful size declarations on websites of body manufacturers the ensuing discussion pushed me over the edge to scratch-build a body for my SCX10.

I’ve had several ideas what to put on top oft hat chassis, each of which had ist own pros and cons. Finally, the AEC Matador made the race. It does scratch a lot of my itches:

· I really have a soft spot for these boxy, old british cabovers. Not pretty as in elegant, but a very special sort of charming. Watch „A Close Shave“ .

· It ends the long lasting struggle about what to do about my King Hauler. Either an AEC Mammoth (a posh Matador for on-road use) with a flatbed trailer or a Scammell 100 Tonner / Highwayman / Pioneer mash-up with King Hauler proportions and a low-loader. This way there will be an AEC-style crate and an long-nose heavy-hauler.

· It’s a full-size truck, so the model will be at a relatively small scale (1/11, see my rant about body sizes. Why would anyone call an SCX10 with a Land Rover body „1/10“?). People like large scale because you can show a lot of detail. Yes, you can, but you also HAVE TO. You don’t get away with simplification so easily. And coming from a ship-modelling background, I find any scale larger than 1/25 „big“.

· The real thing is more like a garden shed in wheels and thus fits my ship-modelling methods and materials.

So now that I reached something like a decision I have to press on before I change my mind again. One good way to do this is to make it public so you can’t chicken out so easily.

Brandon Snell and Little Rascle like this.
  2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

i just posted in another thread how easy it is to make links for the scx 10 .. so you can buy a 1/10 scale body and make links so your wheel base fits .. all you need for the links is 8/32 threaded rod ( or the metric equivalent ) and 16 traxxas ball ends for any 1/10 or 1/8 model

spawn, Gromit and Little Rascle like this.
  3. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks!

Mine has the aluminium rods with ball-ends already, and parts for the four-link suspension and alternative drive-shafts were included in the kit, so i figured out that you can play with the wheelbase a bit. And if there was a decent Willys Overland or Land Rover Series 1 or 2 on offer, I'd have tried a bit harder. Thing is, I just don't like modern (i.e. 80's onward) cars all that much, so an excuse to scratch something was very welcome.

Little Rascle likes this.
  4. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Besides, I've been busy since the paper-mock-up and the wheelbase feels just about right:

[​IMG]

#4 Gromit, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i can not see pics

Gromit likes this.
  6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

nothing wrong with scratch building just putting the option out there .. if you are new to scratch building maybe have a look at @freddys builds he is the scratch build king .
    I also cannot see the pics

Gromit and Little Rascle like this.
  7. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry, I don't know what's the matter with the pictures. I uploaded them to my Google-account and copy-pasted them in here. Is there a more reliable way?

And Freddy...well, his builds are awesome but his driver scares me. But seriously: it was mainly his trucks plowing through the mud that made me stop worrying about the weight and get cracking. Awesome stuff!

8. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Hola companeros,

I've had a look around and find that I'm not the only one having trouble with the pictures. Also, I find that the scrolling is quite jerky on this site. My pictures on other forums work fine (from my computer, my pictures here do,too). So maybe the problem lies somewhere here on the site. Who would be the one in charge of checking thast out?

And now for something completely different (BOOM!):

I've been busy some more. I've been planning a lot how to make a battery box under the bed with a little hatch that opens to the back, and yesterday I turned it all upside down and found it would probably be far less fuzz to take the whole bed off to access the batteries. It's funny that such ideas often come up just when i want to go to bed, and then i have to draw them, otherwise they'll be gone in the morning.

Anyway, that's how far I've gotten:

[​IMG]

Still quite flexible

[​IMG]

Some more detail. Now I really want to see some colour in this face.

[​IMG]

Good advice: if a video-game keeps you from modelling too much, cut up the CD and make some rear-view-mirrors out of it.

#8 Gromit, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Antho11 likes this.
  9. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm not able to view the pictures and good advice! The person you should contact for help is @Magnat007

10. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Long time no see...

Still struggling with the pictures and the process known as "real life" interfered a lot with my modelling activity lately.

However, there has been some progress. A friendly Gentleman with a love for russian trucks helped me to find some tires that fit the Tamiya Hummer wheels i had lying around as well as the vintage military theme. Also, they're quite a lot stiffer than the original Ripsaws and carry the load better.

I shot some Vellejo medium olive with black camouflage clouds over it. It looks nice but I changed my mind and some Royal Air Force Blue shall soon cover it up.

It feels like an extremely heavy brute compared to the flimsy lexan body, but at round about a kilogram, it's not much heavier than the usual RC4WD hardbodies.

Little Rascle and Antho11 like this.
  11. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

So....
    let's give postimage.org a shot

[​IMG]

Can you see it now?

By the way, I remembered John Cleese's advice about creativity and decided to stick with olive (for now).

[​IMG]

Still missing some window frames, wipers, insignia and interior detail.

#11 Gromit, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The pictures work! It's turning out really great and the proportions are nice.

Gromit likes this.
  13. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks, looks like i have to create an account over there.

Another important lesson learned in this build: if you absolutely have to eat potato chips while pulling new tires onto the wheels, do not under any circumstances lick your fingers.

14. BuiltFordTough85

Media:
    HAHAHAHAHA I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I needed it thanks

15. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

First Blood...well, First Dirt!
    Still not finished, but, as Sean Bean pointed out, winter is coming, so I had to take her out without license plates, window wipers or steering wheel.
    She appeared very little impressed by the weight on top and rides very nicely. I managed to roll her over a couple of times, and the mirrors came off their magnets like they're supposed to. Searching for them made me realise how clever it is to paint real military trucks olive.
    The bed came off a couple of times and the truck emits a woody rumbling noise so I think i need to think of something better to hold it on than magnets.
    [​IMG]
    The brambles were less of a bother than I'd feared

[​IMG]
    Mere seconds before getting hung up on that stump

[​IMG]

16. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

The mad scientist and his hunch-backed servant have been hard at work:

[​IMG]
    I cut up the crew of the Airfix Anti-Pesto van to fit the cabin of the Matador.

[​IMG]
    Inside the Birmingham Small Arms factory...

[​IMG]
    Wallace still needs some shoulder-patches

[​IMG]
    Time to get some colour into these faces

#16 Gromit, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Antho11, K9654, walter and 2 others like this.
  17. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Almost done!

just need some silver ink to make some license plates, which is not waiting for me in the shop around the corner, and I don't think i should venture anywhere near the big city during the before-christmas-frenzy.
    And of course "done" refers to the never-really-finished state that most RC projects end up in. The bed is still empty and something needs to be done about that in the medium turn. I'm thinking about a workbench, some crates, oil-barrels and an aeroplane engine. Mechanics on the way to a remote Scottish mountain lake to fix a PBY Catalina that had to make an emergency landing due to an engine failure.

[​IMG]
    The crew in colour

#17 Gromit, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  18. DodgeZippy

DodgeZippy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wow you made the crew come to life !!!
    Great paint work !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gromit and Little Rascle like this.
  19. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks!
    It's the moment you paint the pupils.

walter, DodgeZippy and Little Rascle like this.
  20. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The rabbit looks like he’s up to no good! You did a great job painting them.

DodgeZippy, Gromit and Little Rascle like this.