1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another scale mud truck. Mud truck 2.0 :)

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by mud, May 22, 2013.

1. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I enjoyed the first one so much that I decided to jump right into another while steel frame is in the oven getting her paint dried. But this build will have a twist. I hope not to take anything from basher4life, so make sure to check his build out. Who knows, it may be better.

I've already built one side of the frame plate/rail, and it turned out very nice. Sadly couldn't get the second side started today, but I hope to tomorrow.

Right now I'm sitting in my basement frustrated cause I'm trying to figure out my 4 link setup. This rig is bigger than steel frame, so it's difficult trying to get the links in a positive position. Plus working with one plate is kinda hard too.

But anywho, here's the plate I made today.

[​IMG]

And here's what axle tire combo I'm using.

[​IMG]

Yes sir. They be Clodbuster tires :haveaniceday: but I have them mounted to WheelyKing axles.

It may be difficult to get the visual with all the stuff in the picture, but this is roughly the look I'm goin for.

[​IMG]

She'll have dual shocks all the way around, and the way it sits now, the bottom of the transfer case base plate which is her lowest point (or the metal thingy under the door as my wife says) is 5 1/4 inches high. She's gonna be a BIG girl. If she starts to resemble a Clod to much, I may have to do some changes cause I already have 2 Clods. Three would just be to many :)

Thanks everyone in advance for checking it out and please feel free to comment. Good night, and see y'all tomorrow.

Teaser! If you look close, under the clock on the left of last picture...build number 3 :haveaniceday:

2. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I love it! Cant wait to see this one as it progresses! I am really considering doing one of these for myself! lol Ive wanted to make a mud truck since the SCX10 first came out I just keep putting it off

3. basher4life

basher4life Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

take away lol mine is going to be a slow one. I see it as us just sharing ideas

4. Kingspian

Kingspian New Member

I'm gonna say this and I won't shut up! :). You guys that are working on RC projects stuns me. I am sooooo amazed on what skills you got to build such a rc. I'm so happy to be here on this forums, very very friendly community I ever been on. Keep up your good and hard work building them. Don't lose it!!!! :omg:

Daniel

5. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I say go for it! It's a lot of fun. It's a fun challenge to see if what you build can take what gets dished out :)

Yeah buddy. I'm up for sharing ideas. I was just worried about posting a similar build at the same time. Want to make sure people check yours out.

Thanks a ton Daniel. I appreciate it greatly. I do agree that this is THE friendliest rc site I've ever come across. And don't worry, I'll keep building as long as I can get the parts I need.

6. tcp57fd

tcp57fd Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Are you sure those tires aren't just going to float over the mud lol this is going to be cool to watch

7. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nope:) she is gonna be one HEAVY rig. If anything she'll sink to the bottom. If I had a boat, I could use her as an anchor :haveaniceday:

8. tcp57fd

tcp57fd Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well I hope you don't have to use it as an anchor

9. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This build disappeared to page 2 lol. Had to bring it back for a small update.

I couldn't find any links that would fit, so I made my own out of aluminum tube and some threaded rod. May be an old trick, but I was just introduced this trick by my LHS.

[​IMG]

And another mock picture, just because I'm really anxious to get the ball rollin on this build.

[​IMG]

This build is goin slow for now. Only cause I'm really tryin to get all the details. I want this build to be 100 times better then steel frame. That build was a throw together and see what happens lol.
    At some point I have to fix my old Clod body, gonna give the styrene a try. Got alot of holes to fill, gonna drop the bed to be more scale, goin to make a cowl induction hood, and possibly some fender flares. The body mod is goin to be the hardest part so it'll also be the longest.

Tomorrow I want to install the links, but I'm not to sure about the location in which they're sittin now. I gotta sit down with her and make sure everything lines up nice.

Thanks everyone for checkin it out.

10. Patin

Patin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sweet sub frame. That thing will be a beast if you have enough weight to make those monsters bite. Awesome build here

11. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

looks like the real thing

12. firefighter3

firefighter3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Man she is AWESOME and big!!!:in love::want::haveaniceday:

13. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks boss. I'm thinkin she'll be heavy enough. My other mud truck build weighed in at 15 pounds after everything was put in. This pig is gonna be a tad bigger. I'm still deciding if she'll be gettin dual motors just cause of her size...we'll see.

Ya buddy. Exactly what I'm goin for.

14. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I hope some of your styrene skills rub off on me :haveaniceday: got lots of plans with this.
    Thanks boss.

15. firefighter3

ELiTE MEMBER

The way you work with metal your gonna do just great with styrene bud.:haveaniceday:

16. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Watch it. Your makin me blush.:hopemyfakesmilework

If styrene is like workin with steel, then yeah, I should be good. Thanks for the confidence boost.

17. firefighter3

ELiTE MEMBER

Lmao!!! Your welcome.:haveaniceday:

18. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Got me some new stuff to work with.

[​IMG]

Now I can fix up my busted up Clod body.
    :haveaniceday:

19. mud

mud Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think I've run into a bit of a snag. I tested the styrene and cement on the Clod and found that there's such a thick layer of clearcoat on her that the cement won't melt through it to the plastic. So that leaves one option, sand down the clear and paint...this may take a while.

20. Patin

Patin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would try using oven cleaner in the yellow can first. The styrene if sanded after paint will look rough unless you prime heavy and light sand. Then paint and wet sand. What you testing my friend. What you up to. Lol