1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any info out there about rewinding mass produced 540 motors?

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Tommygunn, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Member

I've recently installed both a 27T and a 55T motor in my scale crawler, the result being one is too fast and the other is too slow. Therefore, instead of messing about, and also because I like to mess about, I was wondering if there was any info out there about rewinding factory produced 540 brushed motors.

I want to experiment with that mid-point at around 35-45 turns so are there any guides about wire selection, winding methods etc?

Cheers,
    Tom.

2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

rc4wd makes 35 and 45 turn motors for a low price. the winding wire would likely cost more then the rc4wd motor.

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Member

I actually have some winding wire in the garage and, since I'm thinking of doing a 41T motor, one of the diameters is 0.53mm which will probably be perfect.

Tom.

walter likes this.
  4. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

give it a try and let us know how it works

5. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you have an electric motor repair shop, or a shop that works on irrigation pumps you might be able to ask someone there for some tips.
    Other wise I think it would be more time efficient to just order a motor with a closer turn count to what you want.

walter likes this.
  6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Member

Gave it a crack last night, stripped my 55T motor and wound on 41 turns of new wire. The wires always start off neat but get crowded and a bit messy towards the end. Some superglue to secure the windings and it works.

I had previously measured the rpm of my 27T and the 55T, as it was, both with timing optimised to my liking.

27T = 12,820rpm @ 5V
    55T = 5484rpm @ 5V
    41T = 8070rpm @ 5V (theoretical 9152rpm)

Not bad for a first time!

Tom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

walter likes this.