1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips on how to make the ax 10 deadbolt crawl the best it can?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Spence123, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hi all, I have been searching around about half sprung and half droop setup suspension that allows the trucks CG to stay low, but will stretch when needed. Any shocks that would help me accomplish this? I mean I wanted to buy a comp crawler, but not many people have that kind of money. I mean I saw somebody do this with their mad torque exceed: all decked out and modded. But I have the ax 10 deadbolt. Anything to make it crawl better? I know a better servo, 4ws and some pl 2.2" chisel tires and wheels weights and maybe dig, but is there any way it could be made to crawl almost as good as a comp crawler? I mean I just don't know what makes a comp crawler so special compared to my rig. I don't know either if bent lower links would really help or not. I can't find any bent lower links.

Thanks,
    Spence

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The difference between an AX10 and a comp Crawler is the chassis.

The Deadbolt is a compromise between a Scaler and a Rock Racer.. A Comp crawler does one thing and one thing only.. it Crawls.... Thats it.. No good on trails as its too slow.

To get the Deadbolt as competitive as a comp crawler would require ALOT of money.
    It would involve swapping over to a Motor on Axle set up, New Electronics, New Shocks and a WHOLE heap of other parts.

Spence123 You have to understand that the chassis you have, An AX10 is a capable trail rig as it.
    Adding 2.2 inch tyres, a 45T motor and some larger shocks will increase your AX10's offroad ability but it wont scale vertical rocks without some serious modification.

Enjoy the AX10 and take it into terrain it can handle like a Forrest walking trail or down near a river or creek (Providing you have water resisted everything).
    Enjoy what you have now, Save up, then go and get yourself a comp crawler if thats what you desire.

Pop down to the Rock Crawling section on here and check out what Comp Rigs RCSPARKERS have.. You never know.. someone may have already modded an AX10 to a comp crawler !
    They can then tell you what they did and how much it set them back and then you can decide if its what you want to do !

3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well, so your saying I have the wrong rig? I mean I see an xr 10 on ebay for $659 US dollars. I don't have that kind of money. Is the wraith any better? I mean they both stack up to be about the same. I don't know about an exceed mad torque as it looks very much like a comp crawler. I mean the kind of terrain that I have around here is perfect for a comp crawler, but the downer is I just can't afford it. I mean I have done some extreme crawling with my ax 10 deadbolt but I dunno. I almost regret asking for it for Christmas. But what else could I get? I mean an xr 10 base chassis on ebay right now for $159 used.. I mean all in all for a comp crawler and good radio would be a good $900 and they don't even make the xr 10 no more. So I dunno what I should do.,,

#3 Spence123, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    go on you tube and check out the maxstone 10 videos of it crawling or the redcat Everest they are the same rig , the maxstone 10 is a pretty capable shafty crawler ,if that's what your looking for, and you can use the ax10 axles ,trans, and electronics on it. then go to ebay and buy a maxstone 10 chassis , if you can find one with the links and maybe shocks that's even better ,convert your ax10 over using that. that's the cheapest way I can think of to get more crawling ability out of your ax10, then start adding wheel weights and other upgrades

5. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks, I will save up for an xr 10 or some other comp chassis. I mean I would rather save up for a new dirtbike, but most importantly a car. I mean that max stone 10 has a really similar looking chassis to my truck so that concerns me. I want something that I can go and crawl up stone ledges and what not and not be disappointed with its ability. I mean the ax 10 deadbolt many people said it was a great truck and would crawl pretty good. I am not into trailing at all. Like what other comp crawler chassis could I get? I mean the exceed mad torque looks very inspired by a comp crawler. I mean it has moa setup but no dig. The front knuckles are supposedly the weak point. And not sure about the cheap quality as well, also exceed part support isn't so good either. Thanks for the recommendation tho:)

Still I wished they would make like an xr 10 rtr for like $600 with cheap but still good parts... They only sold the xr 10 as a kit but oh well when I get a car and a job I will maybe start saving up for a comp crawler, but that is discontinued too:(

#5 Spence123, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    max stone 1/8 looks good too as it was able to crawl up stairs. I don't know if I want to get exceed though. As I said a cheap xr 10 rtr would be awesome..... But hearing that my ax 10 is a very incapable truck has now made me upset.

but I still don't know what would make the max stone 10 chassis better than my ax 10
    I mean also the scorpion ax or scx 10 is a comp crawler but is now discontinued

I will wait either until I lose interest or can get the $$$$ I dunno. :(

7. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Spence.... Your truck is not incapable.. Infact it is VERY capable. It can crawl VERY well.
    Its just not a comp rig.
    When you originally posted up what you wanted to do.. Competition crawling was not a requirement.

The Deadbolt is a GREAT RC. You can take the AX10 alot of places that the SCX10 wont go.
    I think you need to take your AX10 on some tough terrain and break some parts and see just how far it will go as you might be surprised at where it will go.

RC is for the Adventurous... Not the safe !

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Alright, we'll also it can go up inclines better than my summit and can squeeze into tight spots where my summit can't go. I found a cheap $9 35t motor on ebay, the ae-2 esc says it's only rated for 19t max but I though the higher the turn the less speed and more torque. Will the ae-2 handle a 55t or a 35t motor? I mean once the voltage goes down to 7.4 v as a 2cell should, the torque becomes pretty much unusable. Is this the fault of the 20t motor? It's just that imo I can't afford to spend $1500 on an xr 10 even used I mean I see one on eBay right now for $659 single ae-2 esc and all. I really wished axial made an xr10 rtr with cheaper parts so that initial amount of cash would be friendly on the budget . If I wanted a comp crawler, I
    Would have to sell my summit, deadbolt and rustler vxl. Not up for that. I will just do an upgrade, stickier tires a higher torque motor, and maybe a droop suspension setup. But indeed I have had plenty of fun with my ax 10 deadbolt it makes a pretty good rock bouncer cause of the poor grip of the stock tires. It can't crawl stairs(many rc's can't do this) but I have still had a blast. Maybe when I get older and get a good job and some money I will go for a comp crawler lol

9. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yes the AE2 ESC will run a 55,45 or 35Turn motor.. It just wont run an 18T motor.
    Now the Higher the turns the less speed you get... but you gain in Torque and no,the 20T motor does not have ooodles of Torque.. a 35T motor will still have wheel speed for mud work but the Torque increases... If your going to be more rock crawling and less trailing, then a 45T motor might be a better option but they are REALLY SLOW... (Which is what crawlers are... SLOW)

The tyres have more than enough grip for crawling you just need to drive like a crawler and not like a racer...

Now thats more like it... Enjoy what you have.. break some parts.. hit some new terrain and HAVE FUN !!!

10. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  11. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Yes that will fit I ran a 35t in mine seems to be the best balance between torque and wheel speed.

12. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I mean can I use my existing mounting hardware? Will the screws fit in he threads?

13. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    It should literally just bolt right in no problem.

14. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Even the threads should fit with the existing screws? So I will get that 35t motor. So that additional 15turns will really help with torque? Thanks

15. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Yes it will. The 20t is not a good choice for crawling it's more for a semi basher type application.i didn't like how twitchy it was even geared down.The 35t is not going to have as much torque as a 45 or 55 but allows you to have a better split between torque and wheel speed depending on gearing.

16. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just curious tho like how much of a torque increase? I mean I read up on a forum the lowest turn you should go is a 35t motor then you start losing wheel speed which you need

17. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Very noticeable. Much much better slow speed control.

18. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ok thanks, if I really want my truck to go up vertical ledges, put a fan on the top like 4s bl esc motor and prop in a pusher prop configuration to press the truck to the ground. Maybe a big edf fan I dunno. ;)

19. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just no Spence... Just no..
    Get a winch fitted if you want to go vertical.

20. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Lol that was a joke:) In my mind that was kind of an awesome idea lol. My SPC lipo was at 7.5v and the 20t motor is pretty much useless in terms of the torque. That means the pack was hardly even close to being dead, and the torque delivery is a thumbs down. I hope to get better luck with the 35t.. Maybe I could make a servo winch... Just curious if this chassis would make the truck crawl any betterhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-Axial-AX10-Ridgecrest-aluminum-lcg-competition-chassis-RCS1401-/291408909197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d953138d
    I mean it pretty much looks the same, except its marked as a comp chassis i dunno

#20 Spence123, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015