1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips on how to make the ax 10 deadbolt crawl the best it can?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Spence123, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Save the money Spence... Enjoy what you have or experiment with different shock setups and see how you go..
    The 35T will give better torque but wont be anywhere near as fast as the 20T motor.
    I honestly think that with a motor change, you will start to see the true capability of your AX10.

3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Like would I want different shocks? I mean would droop allow for a lower cg and then allow the tires to drop down onto rocks to get traction? The max stone 5 looked pretty cool too. The gears in the trani are all metal and their are optional upgrades too. But it uses 12t brushed motors instead of the preferred maybe 35t motors. But again I don't have $329 to spend on the max stone 5. That rig may have been better suited for what I wanted to do but oh well. I will save up and get a comp crawler

4. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  5. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Droop will lower cog
    But also lower belly clearance

6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

to make it climb better add low weight either to the wheels or the axles or both to keep them planted some guys simply use some http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bullet-Weig...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2597c2a3e6 ( lead wire ) and wrap it inside the rims before mounting the tires . others have put bb's inside the tires
    think low center of gravity . lower the body and trim the fenders if necessary for tire clearance.
    run a light weight battery .
    also lengthening the wheel base will help it go up and down things better. u can do this by making or using a longer set of 4 links . ( may require longer drive shafts)

#26 Y2daT, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  7. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I actually used 6oz of no slip flat sink fishing weights in the stock wheels, 6oz fit perfect in each wheel. I should have upgraded to some chisel 2.2"s as they are much stickier, and the SPC batt that I have weights about 10.6oz. its a 5000mah 2s 50c. the reason is I am also using it for my rustler vxl. I mean what shocks could I use for a half sprung half droop setup? I mean what also is the advantage to having a droop setup? Also hoping that 35t atomik venom motor that I ordered will supply the needed torque at 7.4v(resting voltage of 2s lipo)

8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the advantage is a lower ride height lowers the over all center of gravity of the whole rig making it way more stable on hills and rocks . droop in the stock shock or aftermarket the same size ( or close ) will give you the lower stance but still allow the articulation . Vs using shorter shocks which would lower the amount of articulation. I do not know the best brand shock but 90-100mm is a good range of size to use . and dont get the Hot racing shocks . they look sweet but I have yet to tune them perfect. ( had them working ok with soft body... but way to soft for the hard body )
    that battery should provide plenty of amperage( 250amps) and the 35t is the most popular all around trail/crawl motor.

9. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    so torque should massively improve from the weak 20t motor with the 35t? I mean once the lipo is at 7.4v(regular voltage of any 2s lipo) the 20t motor doesn't deliver any usable torque. Is this the fault of the motor? I know medic and just about anybody else HATES integy, but medic like the integy shocks. I have personally stayed away from integy entirely myself. May I have a link to some budget friendly shocks that would work? I mean with the droop setup, the truck can have a low cg as possible, and have the body down low too and also well the deadbolt body scrapes on the tires if I don't install the optional super tall body posts that are included.

10. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Spence.. I want you to do me a solid..
    Get YOUR driving on video..
    I want to see the EXACT terrain your dealing with.
    This will help us to help you to get the mods you need to take on the terrain you want to handle.

I want to see how you have set this truck up with Photos..
    We can't help you if we don't know what we are dealing with..

11. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think I will get an old hat and make a phone camera mount and then turn it on and put it on my head lol then take the video, and then upload to youtube. This should give you guys a better picture of what your dealing with and how I should setup my truck accordingly. ok, once the snow melts, I will make a vid:)My truck is pretty much stock other than replacing the plastic gears in the trani with well another set of plastic lol(cause I am cheap lol), and some tuning but the stock trepador tires don't like the mud cause they get pretty slippery once they get wet too. I have really rolled this truck many times, it has rock rash, some tears in the lexan body and some scale looking dents where the lexan deformed, it actually looks kinda cool( also stressed a stock esc battery terminal and got a new esc free of charge via axial. Like medic's rc4wd trail finder 2 TOP GEAR toyota hilux tribute where he torched and ground away the body on purpose. I will go metal soon. I will get the hot racing metal gear set or the axial one, I think both are good. Yes I promise I will like hook my phone to a hat or have somebody else vid it for me. Even tho this truck isn't a comp crawler, I have enjoyed the narrow profile and added tun-ability from my traxxas summit 1/8. How long can I wait to take the video? I mean I like to do rock crawling when its not muddy, but I like to run in the snow sometimes. I will make like a 10minute vid of all the fave rock crawling spots on my property, but I will look like a total rc nerd, I fear when a car drives bye, they might say"hey look at this nerd" I dunno lol, maybe its just me. Most people have been impressed with this hobby when some see me flying at a park they usually don't hesitate to stop and talk to me lol or driving around a land rc

#31 Spence123, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  12. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Here was mine with better tires home made links free mods
    Trans gears, metal geared savox
    Servo.beef tubes 4ws.
    Does pretty good

Magnat007 likes this.
  13. 68camaro

68camaro Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

ok ill help. 1st, thought you were crawling not muddin? if you want to mud, cut every other lug off of the tires.2nd, know some one else covered this, but weights is everything, you need to grab some beadlock if you are adding interanal wheel weight, it is just way easier that way. just jump up to a quality 55 if you are crawling and a 35 turn for trailing, although I find my rc4wd 45t to be quite fast for 45 turns.

14. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just ordered the 35 turn motor, nice vid jamann. It was cheap tho at about $12. I am a cheapy guy, I just got $170 odd from selling a huge lot of about 21-22 lbs of legos and I have to pace my self, but I have been spending it away on rc stuff lol. Should I just get the axial 55t motor and some sticky tires? I haven't bought the beadlocks yet, but I have my eye on the rocksters 2.2" beadlocks in black like jamann and some chisel 2.2"s. the thing is when I added the wheel weight to the stock front rims and tires, I may have ruined the front inner beads a little of the tires. I would like to setup mine like jamann's, but I don't want to drop a good $120 yet on the truck as other rc's need to share the funds if they break. I don't like to mud as it just leads to corrosion and gritty bearings plus it just makes a pure mess if you don't clean it off before you bring it inside your house lol

#34 Spence123, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  15. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I am not an rc crawler dude, I still have much to learn about it.

16. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

read text wrong. thought you said you did mudding. 55t and chisels whould be a start, whould get beadlocks if you are getting new tires. And that's just a start. Expect about 150 more for it to be a decent crawler

17. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Its fine, well, I am not that far off, I have about $129 right now and I owe ebay $31 in fees. I will list some more legos of what I have left to squeeze out some more money. I will be getting a real car soon, so sadly i may drop this hobby for a while. But anyways, stickier tires will perform much better, and the 35t motor still is like about 5 turns less than being another 20t motor in itself, with the RTR tires, you need more wheel speed to get more traction lol. If the RTR trepadors get wet, or muddy from tearing up hills, you slip and slide all over the rocks. So would it be worth the $80 I would have to pull out of my account to get rocksters 2.2"s and a set of chisel 2.2"s? I mean they will be much stickier than the stock tires right? Thanks man:)
    I would get these beadlocks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-AX809...500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d84025ec

18. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

those are the originals I told you to get. Worth it if you weight them correctly also

19. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    The stock tires
    would not
    could not
    did not
    even get me to those spots let alone up them.
    if you want slower more torque gear down.
    Even crawlers have need for wheel speed at times.

20. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have a sorta silly question sorry, should I get the beadlocks or the tires first? I mean I am also going to make a vid of me crawling my deadbolt around my property as magnat said I dunno so you guys could help me do upgrades to my truck to make it crawl accordingly It will be no comp crawler, but a good crawler at that in the end. Would I do the same 6oz a wheels? Or do I want more? It was difficult to find low profile 1oz/piece weights. SO that 35t motor that I am currently waiting for should deliver on the torque? and not loose too much wheels speed?