1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips on how to make the ax 10 deadbolt crawl the best it can?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Spence123, Mar 17, 2015.

1. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I would get the bead locs.
    Reason being
    Boil yours off the stock rims
    Add weight to bead locks run those save for better tires.

2. 68camaro

68camaro Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

yep. Stock tires look so crap, ripsaws were better. original beadlock wheels I suggest, forgot to say that. order either then wait for the other one to come

3. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I might have damaged the stock front inner beads a little. But I will see. I mean I did boil them off and it was a success to add the weight, but the CA was a little messy re- gluing them. it kinda went around the edges of the bead too. Is this fine? I will get the rocksters 2.2" in black. Then I can save those for a future project like maybe a comp 2.2 class crawler who knows I will basically mount up the 2.2 trepadors to the rocksters and go from there, and sell some more legos and get the 2.2" chisels. Oh also metal tranny gears, that is a future upgrade lol. I bought two plastic gear sets to keep me going on the cheap for now

4. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

wait, your buying the wheels to have them sit around for another project? then add new tires to crap plastic wheels? is that what you are saying? makes no sense to me.

5. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    sorry, wrong wording, I was saying, in the future I could use those rims for another project like a comp crawler of some sort. I mean to say I would be using them on my deadbolt with yes the stock tires that I totally hate until I can save up for the chisels. are those axial rocksters 2.2" rims junk? Or do you mean the stock rims?

6. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

ok gotcha. For the price, they do the job

7. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    geeze, lol, I don't consider $40 cheap, I mean this summer I will be getting a car and a job so income will be great:)

8. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

40 is cheap for beadlocks.

9. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ok, well Alloy beadlocks(well you can get stamped steel beadlocks from rc4wd and other brands)its shameful to scratch them up, and well they just cost too much IMO. Ok, I will get the rocksters 2.2" in black. I think they will fit. I won't go into that, the 12mm hex size is all that matters and as long as they are 2.2" beadlocks. The wraith I think has the same ar 60 ocp axles too. So I am good lol.

10. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

not gonna get into this, but you can really put 2.2 on anything ...... Dosent hafe to be ar-60's

11. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  12. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

I was just re-caping for you. You need a priority list for you to work down. Because no sense for us to tell you something and have you not get it

13. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yeah thats very true thanks. So I will buy 2.2" bead locks, then better tires, and then I will go from there in terms of taking a vid of what kind of rock crawling I am actually doing so you guys can help me setup my rig

14. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

sounds fine

15. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  16. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

it will be a start atleast

17. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I am under no delusion that mine is anywhere even in the same league as a comp crawler.

18. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    No,summitnut... but you did modify yours to improve its Crawl-ability with a careful selection of mods and made it work.
    Which if Spence123 is going to have any chance of conquering Rocks is something he needs to look at and pay attention to.
    (Hell I would have driven my SCX10 up that same terrain... mine has been in worse places lol and I also have a winch lol)

If your expectations are that an AX10 is going to conquer the same terrain as a XR10 then we need to stop the project here. As it will be money better spent on another RC
    If you are wanting the AX10 Deadbolt to turn from a Rock Racer to a Semi-decent crawler... then keep going !

There are PLENTY of AX10 drivers on RCSPARKS and they will have suggestions in how to get your Deadbolt to the level you want to get it to
    but understand.... It all COSTS Money..Follow their advice and you will soon be enjoying your AX10's new crawling abilities.

Lets see the terrain you want to dominate.... then we can suggest what mods your going to need or even if the AX10 can do it.
    Just remember... If your going the crawling path then your AX10's speed is going to drop..
    What you gain in torque... you loose in speed.

19. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks, guys, its just the fact that I can't afford a comp crawler lol. But the exceed max stone 5 looks like a good truck. Insane ground clearance. But I like the scale look of my deadbolt and the fact that it is smaller than an 1/8 or 1/5 scale crawler from exceed. And my deadbolt is actually able to go places and up inclines that my summit can't go. I am doing mostly crawling, and a tiny tiny bit of trailing to get from crawling spot to crawling spot. I know I will lose wheel speed, but you need wheel speed. I ordered that 35t motor, and summitnut/jamann said that would greatly improve torque from the stock 20t motor, but not have as much torque as a 45 or 55t. I will get the beadlocks and stickier tires and go from there. I will take a video soon of my crawling terrain and the truck going up it. I nearly do mostly terrain conquering and rock crawling not really trailing. I bought the ax10 vs the scx10 line of trucks cause I was going to do mostly crawling. However, I want to mod my truck to crawl like summitnut's truck with the droop setup and all. I will do upgrade bit by bit like harley designs $50 a week budget build.

20. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Guys, I know I bought a 35t motor, but the odd thing is that the fact on both my new and old esc even at 7.4v the motor would still stall out with the 20t I turn it on NIMH momentarily, it doesn't. Is this the fault of the motor or is it the esc? Is it attempting to prevent over-discharge? Or is it the fault of the crap 20t motor?

#60 Spence123, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015