1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried the lubricant trick for making parts flexible?

Discussion in 'Bashing Chat' started by PJbottoms, Jun 30, 2018.

1. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

I think I may have originally put this in the wrong section. New to the forums and didn't see this part down here and seems a more appropriate place to ask.

Saw Kevin Talbot's video where he discusses spraying down your plastic A-Arms for example with some Muc-off 94 or wd40 to soften the plastic and make it more flexible so it has less of a tendency to break. I understand the theory behind it, and after watching how hard he bashes his vehicles it seems to have some merit.
    I also understand the Muc-Off or similar product that's teflon based is much better than using the oil-based WD40 due to the fact it will repel dirt while the WD seems to attract it.
    Being I'm about to replace my steering knuckles, caster blocks, and rear axle carriers with aluminum parts on my Traxxas Stampede 2wd, it stands to reason the A-Arms would be the next weak point in the chain to break on a hard crash, which is why I'm interested in trying this out.

Has anyone here actually tired this process with favorable results? The way his X-Maxx arms flex after doing this seems to be legit but you never know what happens in the unedited parts of videos or long-term effects which is why I'm asking this here.

Here is the video I'm referring to. I hope it isn't against the rules to link it.

Thanks in advance!

2. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

Noone? Figured one of the hard bashers here would have at least given this a go in the past.

3. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

wd40 can make plastic brittle over time

4. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

Because it's oil-based correct and will break down the plastic? What about the teflon/silicone based sprays like the afore-mentioned MO94?

5. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i have not tried them