1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aquacraft VS1 FE conversion

Discussion in 'Boat Build Projects' started by Tombsy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    No real set point for COG, I try to adjust the battery so it flies nice but really depends on the wind and water conditions. Sometimes I have to add lead to the front of the box if the wind comes up, I use stick on wheel weights with Velcro so they’re removable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

walter likes this.
  2. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    Thanks for the advise. When I ran a K&B I used an Octura adjustable mount. I had read from the racers (don't remember where) that the motor pivot point should be at the back of the sponson? The mount was about 5/8" thick so I added 5/8" to the back of the sponsons. You can see it in the last picture of post 20. Maybe now that the motor is mounted right to the transom I should cut that 5/8" extension off? Maybe trying to pivot in front of the ends is causing it to dig in and roll?

3. Tombsy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    For sure, according to the VS1 set up, “avoid engine mounts that set the hinge pin past the back of the sponsons”.
    The VS1 likes the understeer from the hinge pin in front of the sponsons.
    Another thing is the hinge pin angle, the more positive angle the more the bow lifts in corners, if it’s not adjustable you can shim between the mount plate and transom.

4. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    The Octura plate let you raise/lower, tilt, and hinge pin angle. So now that the hinge pin is close to the transom you say I should cut the extensions off? I guess I would have a lot of under-steer with the pin that far in front?

5. Tombsy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Can only try it and see, under steer can be better than over steer that would cause you too hook. Maybe check the angle to see if you are “0” or a little positive maybe will help with the rolling in the corner.

6. Tombsy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sorry, I had to get on my laptop to see your attachments, I'm thinking your extensions might act as trim tabs keeping the nose down. the boat should fly with only a small part of the transom touching the water. I add more lead to the front if it gets windy. Props can make a big difference how the boat rides and handles too, right now I'm using an ABC 42 x 55 that's been back cut a bit. IMG_5556.jpg

7. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Always such fine craftsmanship from you Brian. Such a pleasure to see your builds/conversions.

8. Tombsy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks man, we’re pretty much settled into the new old house now, doing some work in the back to be able to bring the RV home.
    But the new shop is all set up and is amazing, lots of room (30’x 24’), lots of power, and heat . So hopefully some great new projects to come. I should post a little shop tour video.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gromit, Antho11 and walter like this.
  9. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    Very nice shop! Bigger than mine. But in Florida I have A/C in stead of heat. I had a strange issue with my Hyperformace leg so I sent it back. Waiting for a new one before I press on.

10. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    I received the leg back and have cut the extra length off the ride pads. Have you tried running without a cooling jacket to save top weight? I have heard some to and the motor doesn't get hot out in the wind. I suspect they aren't pushing to motor (high amp) too hard.

11. Tombsy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would definitely run a water jacket if your running a 4s Aquacraft motor or equivalent, the 1 oz. weight saving isn’t worth shortening the life of the motor. The only ones I’ve seen without water cooling are outrunners on the smaller 3s outboards.

12. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    Kind of what I thought. I am going to try a Leopard 3650 1650 Kv. I can run my 6 cells that are a little lighter than my 4 cells and the motor is a little lighter.

13. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    Are you on RC Groups?

14. Tombsy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Not so much on RCGroups, Offshore Electrics mostly and International Waters for nitro.
    6s is going to be a lot of power, on 4s it can already do a backflip if you gun it lol. Weight saving is not that critical you will probably have to add lead especially when its windy. I made up some packs of different size wheel weights with Velcro. The boat was designed for a nitro motor and tuned pipe as well in some cases that are heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    I am on OSE sometimes but not often on International Waters. Actually the 6 cell might be a little slower. The motor has less watts (HP) and a lower Kv. In reality it will probably spin the prop about the same speed so it should go the same speed. My GPS will tell that. It will draw about 2/3 of the amps of a 4 cell set up and need a battery with 2/3 the mah for the same run time. My real incentive is I have one 4 cell and 8 suitable 6 cell. While it is true that if you take a 4 cell set up and slap a 6 cell in it one of three things happen. A, goes faster and gets hotter. B, Breaks the driveline. or C, Makes a lot of smoke and sometimes flames. My friend has proven all three with RTR Boats. LOL

16. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    Wow, what a difference. Ran lap after lap and didn't roll over or flip. I pushed it too hard and sharp around a buoy twice and it spun out. The Leopard turned out shorter and 1.2 oz lighter. Dropped from a M445 to a M440. Prop CL was about 1 deg neg and I shimmed it to level. 2, 4 cell were 27.6 oz and 1, 6 cell 15.2 oz. Granted less mah but had plenty of run time. Looked great, everything was just warm, and was fun to drive!!
    Thanks a ton for your suggestions and help!!

17. Bret Martin

Bret Martin New Member

Media:
    Oh, I forgot, I cut off the ride pad extensions I had installed. Back to stock.

18. Tombsy

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That’s awesome, glad it’s running well, tunnels rock .
    Maybe try “blipping” the throttle off for a second coming into a corner and see if it settles down in the water and turns better. Another racer gave me that tip and it worked for me. Have fun!