1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are floureon lipo packs any good?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Spence123, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    HI all, I know that venom is overpriced garbage, SPC is good value for quality, turnigy is good also, but I was browsing around on ebay and found this cheap lipo that would be $17 shipped to my door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-4V-25C-2S...098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338d4878ea
    I mean are these great packs? I wanted to use this in my ax10 deadbolt, and I don't need anything fancy. Will these work?

Thanks,
    Spence

2. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    They appear to be a 25c 2s LiPo pack. This would be fine for your rig, I wouldn't use then in a FE Boat or anything crazy fast, the "C" rating is just not high enough...

I know nothing about the brand, I say order one and see how it performs.

Dean

3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I mean my rustler vxl traxxas brand packs are 25c, but they gave me a year and a half of 400 runs and excellent performance. But i do agree, a higher C rated pack is better for high discharge applications

4. RustedRC

RustedRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i'm using a 30c 5200 mah 2 cell in my honcho and it does fine. iv'e had it for 3 months and use it almost everyday. i get about 45 min run time. there better ones out there but these aren't bad IMO.

5. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

remember that the amp output is equal to the C rating x the amp hours. so first u take the mah x. 001 to get the amp hours. then multiply that times the C rating. anything that has 80amps or more will work fine on a stockish rig.
    so for an example. a 4000.mah 20C lipo
    4000 x. 001 is 4 amp hours. and 4 x 20 is 80
    so it will be 80amps constant.

a 5000 mah 20C lipo is 100amps.
    the point is that the C rating alone is meaningless.

6. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I thought c rating meant discharge rating. Higher c rated batteries are better for higher discharge applications right?

7. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    True, A higher C rating is always better but, depending on the application and motor current draw, the price/performance will lead to a point of diminishing returns.

A high turn, low speed crawler motor draws little current as compared to a large 1/8 scale motor. Buying a very expensive, high C rated battery just for use in a crawler application is wasting your money, unless money is no object. You will not feel any difference.

Looking over their website it appears LiPo batteries are not their core competency as much as cellphone cases are...
    http://www.floureon.com/index.html

Pay for quality and use a C rating for the application(s).

Rustic4x4 and summitnut like this.
  8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That wouldn't be a bad battery would it though for the price? So maybe get like a know brand like turnigy or SPC? I looked at reviews on rc floureon batteries on amazon, people mostly seem to like them. ALSO:
    Alright, the issue was one of the battery terminals developed a short. Axial replaced my esc free of charge. The new one works so far. I have some questions about LVC, because of course being myself I mess with things a lot, and if I put it on lvc, and run it with NIMH for a while, the truck comes to a stop with still good voltage in the pack. If I put in a lipo, that issue is fixed. But if I switch to NIMH mode and put a lipo with 7.6v in it,(I never run it like this just tested it briefly) and it well gave more than enough power to make the slipper clutch squeal. if I put lvc on with a lipo pack that is at 7.6v or so, I don't get enough torque to move over obstacles, but if I turn lvc off and use the same pack, it has enough torque to break loose the well tightened slipper clutch. Is this fine? Yes its the stock tactic tsx45mg servo

Spence123, Yesterday at 9:34 PM

9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the c rating is the discharge rating. but is dependent on the mah .
    using the math u can figure that a 2000mah 40c battery is 80amps
    and a 4000mah 20c battery is also 80amps.

10. RCcraziness

RCcraziness New Member

I'm using a rage 5200 mAh 2s 30c lipo in my ruckus and I have had zero problems with it. It was 30 dollars but I got it straight from a private retailer.

11. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    guys also asking about my esc, and if LVC actually works..... I will likely buy that floureon lipo, if it works, thats fine. But maybe I should buy like a turnigy 5000mah 2s(still $25)

Alright, the issue was one of the battery terminals developed a short. Axial replaced my esc free of charge. The new one works so far. I have some questions about LVC, because of course being myself I mess with things a lot, and if I put it on lvc, and run it with NIMH for a while, the truck comes to a stop with still good voltage in the pack. If I put in a lipo, that issue is fixed. But if I switch to NIMH mode and put a lipo with 7.6v in it,(I never run it like this just tested it briefly) and it well gave more than enough power to make the slipper clutch squeal. if I put lvc on with a lipo pack that is at 7.6v or so, I don't get enough torque to move over obstacles, but if I turn lvc off and use the same pack, it has enough torque to break loose the well tightened slipper clutch. Is this fine? Yes its the stock tactic tsx45mg servo

#11 Spence123, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  12. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm not too familiar with the Axial ESC, but this may need a Castle Programmer to accomplish. You should adjust the LiPo cut-off down to 3.2/cell.

What is the LVC set for now?

13. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It went down to 6.8v and then it started to cut out. Like reverse started to cut out. My old esc did
    the same thing. Can u help?

#13 Spence123, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  14. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    It sounds like the lipo is suffering voltage sag near the end of its charge.so when you pull the throttle the voltage sags to below cutoff causing the lvd to do its job.
    The pack itself could be getting tired

15. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Let's start from the beginning......I think there is a disconnect somewhere and I now have no idea what the issue is.

Are you trying to compare a LiPo and NiMh remaining mAh storage by comparing battery voltage between the two? If so, they are completely different technologies and you should not be doing this.

A LiPo stores ALL of it's energy between 3 - 4.2v per cell. This is a good thing as the output voltage changes very little as the charge is consumed. This translates into very minor changes in vehicle performance from full charge to depleted.

1) A 2S LiPo is considered depleted at 6V. Period. There is no usable current left in the battery.
    2) Your LVC should be set between 3.2 - 3.4v per cell OR 6.4 - 6.8v on 2S.
    3) A fully charged, 2S LiPo = 8.4volts

If your LVC is set to 6.8volts....... and your getting cut-off issues at as high as 7, it's doing it's job. When your pulling current from a battery, it's natural for the voltage to sag under load. The LVC is going to see the "Sagged" voltage. Not the unloaded voltage.

Set your LVC to 3.2V/cell (6.4v, 2S). Re-read #1 above.

summitnut likes this.
  16. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Its not cutting out at 7v, but I just am not getting enough torque to move my vehicle at about 7.2v. I think its the fact that these batteries have so many cycles on them. Its time for a nice new cheap floureon pack these two 3300mah traxxas packs have done their good. People have said to like them, and if the pack is bad, well I can ask to ship it back to the seller. $17 or so is pretty cheap shipped. But lets say my lipo pack is at 7.2 ish volts (used volt meter) and I turn it on nimh mode, the truck will deliver full power. But if I switch to lvd back on, it will limit the amount of power and torque coming out of the motor. Still kind of confused. All I know is, when it got down to around 6.8v, the reverse started to cut out. I mean these packs have maybe 420 cycles on them. They are just so depleted, I can't even run them in my rustler vxl anymore

#16 Spence123, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  17. rcnut'14

rcnut'14 certified rc addict
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    what I would do is seet it to nimh mode and buy a lipo alarm. that way, u have an external lvc that u know works, and u can still use ur current batterys.

18. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  19. michael.guthrie.501

michael.guthrie.501 New Member

I am new to lipo's. What should i do with them balance. Them or put them in storage mode .

20. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    If your not using them for a couple days.storage charge them