1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Associated TC3 build

Discussion in 'ON Road Build Projects' started by docdowling, Apr 22, 2014.

1. docdowling

docdowling New Member

Well everyone, I just got my TC3 in the mail today (rolling chassis with steering servo) it needs some work for sure but it's my new project car. (finished my scx10 jeep g6) As this is my first on road car I would apreciate and tips or tricks, especially what to inspect on it to make sure it's working properly. I'll attach some pics in the next post. Also any ideas on the electronics setup would be greatly appreciated.

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

a castle brush-less system will make it fly . especially if it is on a 3S ...11.1 V you can get combos for around 100.00 on ebay .
    PS post some pics .. we love pics :)

3. docdowling

docdowling New Member

[​IMG]
    Rear diff

[​IMG]
    Front view

[​IMG]
    Overview

Little banged up and a little worn but it's going to be a work in progress

4. 6sharky9

6sharky9 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Associated TC3 is a great little car..Much of the chassis and suspension upgrades you can get for the NTC3 will work on that car.

Set up is more the key to them working properly more than anything..A good set up board and a caster/camber gauge is a big help.

Look on the associated site for some set up tips and just enjoy the car.

A brushless with a 3s will have you more down time than time enjoying the car...Its a very old design but a tried and true one as a great little basic entry touring car..A simple 13.5 brushless set up on a 2s is faster than you might think in that light car... If you want more then go to a 10.5 brushless motor..Youre already over 40mph with a 13.5 on a 2s and that's not as easy as you think to control at speed...Its up to you what you want from it but just my recommendation having owned/raced quite a few including the nitro versions.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out..i love those rc cars.

5. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

K cool it will make a good drifter... yea 3s may be over kill .... to drift well all u need is enough speed to spin the wheels good . and a fast steering servo helps . ... if u want to track race it vs drift .... see what the other guys are running ... they will have rules on what is race legal. and a 3s may break stuff ( gears dogbones ..ect)

6. docdowling

docdowling New Member

Yeah im going for a drifter on this one, alwyas wanted one. I put my Cc 3100kv brushless in it off my scx10 10 just to try it out and man does that rip. Only thing is that if I really get on it the motor mount shifts to the left and the pinion can't touch the spur gear, it was tightened all the way down to, I'm going to research after work what some setups are and price things out, so other than the caster/camber tool, what else will be helpful to getting this set up properly?

Also I think the servo that was in it was shot because if your driving it will go straight then make a hard right hand turn on its own.

7. docdowling

docdowling New Member

Also how hard would it be to go from a drift setup to a race one, I'm assuming just changing tires would be to easy

8. 6sharky9

ELiTE MEMBER

I would just google or search RC drifting and see what info you can find on it...I m sure you can find some dedicated rc drift sites if you look around to find some great info on it ....keep us posted on your progress and updates...Im sure we would all like to see it.

When you get to the racing part of it I may can help you more..lol

#8 6sharky9, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. docdowling

docdowling New Member

Ok thanks for the advice

10. docdowling

docdowling New Member

THE TIME IS HERE!
    Payday ladies and gentlemen, now due to the fact that i found out that most of the parts on the chassis are already aftermarket, (aluminum and carbon fiber) my first order that i place for the car will be tuning tools, and some electronics, possibly a body if i can really find one that i like. so here comes the questions
    what gear combos/ final drive ratio would be a good setup for a newbie drifter?
    im going to go brushless from the start, any good combos that are wallet friendly out there?
    i definitely want to lock up the rear diff, and possibly get a 1 way in the front. any opinions out there on this?
    steering servo, on the rockcrawling side of things, its all about how much stress it can take, what should i be looking for on a onroad drifter steering servo?
    other than a caster/camber gauge and digital caliper, any other highspeed low drag tuning tools that are the "must have" for a good set up?

well thats all im going to throw ar you for now, going to go shopping online and price things out, from what ive been told the Nitro TC3 parts will fit, little iffy on that but those are really the only parts available due to the electric versions being discontinued.

well thanks for any help and or input that yall can throw at me, its going to be a slow but worth while process getting this car up to how i want it.
    thanks DocDowling

11. docdowling

docdowling New Member

so ive been shopping around all night and i think i found a good combo that will work for me, its a Turnigy 17.5t sensored motor and a turnigy track-star esc to go with it. any input on turnigy? ill put some links below to them. i want to go with a 17.5T to stay within stock class for drift/racing events.

motor
    Turnigy TrackStar 17.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 2270KV (ROAR approved)

ESC
    Turnigy TrackStar 1/10 70A Waterproof Car ESC (Sensored Only)

im pretty sure they are compatible, motor specs say max draw is 28Amp, and its a 70Amp esc so i got plenty of headroom.

12. docdowling

docdowling New Member

ok everyone its payday, that means its time to buy parts!! i was looking up my servo specs, id like some input from you all, its a Airtronics 94102, heres a page with the specs, good for a drift servo or no?
    Airtronics 94102Z Servo Specifications and Reviews

13. 6sharky9

ELiTE MEMBER

If you can afford something a little better I would recommend it...This servo uses a bushing and isn't very powerful.

Id recommend something more like the Hitec HS-485HB...uses a bearing and more than powerful enough.

14. docdowling

docdowling New Member

Ok thanks ill look into it! I also took my time yesterday and locked the rear diff up, now I just need to find a 1 way for the front

15. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm not sure what you would need to do to switch your Associated TC3 from drift to road...

But with my Losi XXX G If I keep the same gearing front and rear, it will Drift good and it will Road just as well by changing tires...

Now if I want it to Road extremely great then I over drive the front by one tooth...
    When I want to Drift extremely great them I over drive the rear by one tooth...
    So... Fortunately I can swap my front gear with the rear gear and vice versa for more of a long term set up... Or when I think I am going to be bouncing back and forth between drifting and road I will keep it set up with the same tooth count front and rear...

Also I am by no means an expert drifter... I am sharing my findings with my drifter... Here is a pic of her for you to see...

"Furui Midori Torakku" should mean "Old Green Truck" in Japanese...
    [​IMG]

Dean

#15 RustyWrench, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  16. docdowling

docdowling New Member

Awesome man thanks! I'm starting my parts order this weekend, motor and esc will be a CC Sct sidewinder brushless combo, and I haven't decided the rest

17. Euro_Driver

Euro_Driver Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a Tc3 as well i love the thing to bits.... however i during the challenge with another RC i broke a back linkage arm and i need to get some aluminum... I am also in ka-hoots with the guys in the robotics department to see if i can use the CNC machine to make a full aluminum frame for the thing.

FYI: My Build thread to give you ideas.
    http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/road-build-projects/19086-project-dust-buster.html

18. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER