1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

axial exo terra motor options

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by sgtlunchbox2, Jun 1, 2013.

1. sgtlunchbox2

sgtlunchbox2 New Member

Hey forum im looking at getting the exo terra kit. I need to know what motor and esc to put in it. preferebly not tekin. I need something that will give me about 30mph+ and can preform well on a short course track with many turns and small jumps. I was thinking castle but i have had bad luck with them. not customer servoice wise but ahwile back i bought a sidewinder sct system and my esc posts kept breaking off all the time. either that or getting hot and popping out. I would consider going castle again but i want to know other choices. thank you and see you on the trails :)

2. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've had the same issue with one of my sidewinders. I broke two of the motor plugs off so I just soldered them back to the pcb in the esc. Have you ever used an mmp? I've never run one in a sct but its pretty awesome. The motor connections are wires off the esc. If you already have a 3800kv motor, the esc goes for $100-130 online. The cheat mode is pretty cool where it advances the timing at full throttle. I'm not sure if it works with a sensorless motors.

I've heard good things a out tenshock motors but they're only available from a couple sources. I've got a turnigy coming in the mail so ill see how that goes. Hobbywing ezrun is an option that some have bad success with and they're reasonable price. You obviously need a 4pole motor if the track requires a lot of acceleration. Most of the Chinese brands like tenshock, turnigy, hobbywing, and tacon all have 4 pole motors. Some sensored and some sensorless.

Good luck,
    Dna

3. Ballistic

Ballistic ND RC Junkie
    ELiTE MEMBER

I will also agree about the Tenshock and hobbywing combo's. Have been reading a lot about guys using them and having good results.

4. sgtlunchbox2

sgtlunchbox2 New Member

leesc10 what is powering your exo. i see it says novak but which motor and esc is it.

5. Ballistic

Ballistic ND RC Junkie
    ELiTE MEMBER

I am running the Havoc Pro SC/Ballistic 550 Short Course System – 4.5T with a 14 tooth pinon. I have a Hot Racing spur gear and for the life of me I can not remember what tooth it is. I think its either a 52 or 54. I will have to check when I get home from work in the morning. She flies though.