1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial HD 32p tranny....

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Frank10, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Frank10

Frank10 Member

What's the lowest kv or highest kv a axial 32p tranny can handle ...? Sorry I'm new and trying to learn and understand a rock crawler it's n out's .....thanks guy's

2. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I like a 3300kv. But 3000kv would work too. In my wraith I've got a 3300kv, it's perfect

Frank10 likes this.
  3. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

But unless the trans has all steal gears you'll shred it.

4. Frank10

Frank10 Member

Thanks I'll take that into consideration

5. Frank10

Frank10 Member

No they are all steel/metal or whatever they are made out of

6. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Ah. What's your rig weigh? If you want cogless go sensored. But it's not waterproof. What's this going in?

7. Frank10

Frank10 Member

Its a everest10 chassis N links mounted with front and rear axial axles and 32p tranny....well that's my plan....I have the front on ....it's a Frankenstein kinda crawler. Next month the rear axles then the tranny and I'm done...just getting ideas you know.....I want it to be like a monster truckish with rock crawling capabilities...sorry for the long explination

8. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Hmm. So it's a 35t or so stock? Trans ratio of 2.6to1 and diffs I presume are stock ratio of 2.9to1 so trans input to axle output would be 7.54to one. Unless my math is off. Never was good at multiple ratios. with a 4to one pinion spur. A 3300kv should be ok.... 00whynot runs a 3300kv IN all his rigs. Check out his secret weapon combo

9. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

You might have to gear down though

#9 DivineChaos, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. Frank10

Frank10 Member

Thanks guys ..... So maybe I'll ask this question here......what's the difference between The scx10 ,dingo transmissions, is There a difference.....what's the difference between The Heavy duty tranny and the I guess the regular tranny....do all the trannys have slipper clutches.... And again thanks

11. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

A dingo has an scx10 tranny. An hd one has all metal gears plus a dual slipper plus 32p spur unless I'm wrong.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Frank10 likes this.
  12. Frank10

Frank10 Member

Thanks .... So the only difference is the HD tranny has 32p gears and all metal hearing.....and a slipper..

13. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

I believe they all have a slipper. And the new ones are all 32p. I think it's just the idler is steel instead of plastic. Be something to ask @00whynot or y2d

Frank10 likes this.
  14. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

But if you look in the dessription of the hd ones it should tell you. Most people build an hd trans. Buy the metal case, a metal gearset, and a dual slipper. Think it's cheaper.

Frank10 likes this.
  15. Cameron Haga

Cameron Haga Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    There are two gears in the tranny that you have to change . Idler gear and the output gear . I asked this same question about four months ago and I was told that the Robinson Racing gear set is the best . You will want steal drive shafts too if your going brushless .

Frank10 likes this.
  16. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Dude. Um still running stock driveshafts on my brushless wraith. The new style are strong.

lout likes this.
  17. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

And heck. The black widdow has modified stock driveshafts. Just a rod to prevent the center tube from collapsing.

lout likes this.
  18. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The dingo is an SCX10 and all SCX10 trannys are the same. The wraith is different as it has space for a dig unit.

In a stock SCX10 tranny the idler and output gear is plastic and will be the first gears you strip. These need to be upgraded to steel.

Which option you go for depends on the following....

There are/were two types of output shafts. The early AX10 cast aluminium/crap steel output drives which are grey/silver and the black steel output shafts.

If you have the black output shafts you only need to get the output gear and not the complete one piece (HR from memory make a good one of these).

If you happen to have the crap output shafts you are going to want to replace those too because otherwise you will tear them apart. Ask me how I know!!!!!

I personally recommend the RRP One piece output drive. Seem will say that it doesn't have a hole all the way through and you need to have that. Well it doesn't so you will need small grub screws and not the long grub pins. But I have had no issues with the grub screws coming undone using stock driveshafts. Lille bit of blue locktite fixes that.

19. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The Robinson racing gear set I got came with idler gear and a one piece output gear /shaft and the shaft had holes all the way through . I used stock grub pin to attach drive shafts. Although I do have the Wraith and not the scx10 .

20. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've herd mixed reviews on the drive shafts so I asked on here when I got my Wraith and some people that have given me good advice in the past recommended drive shafts if I was going brushless . Mine did not fail and I do plan to reinforce the tube and save them for a different build but I'm running MIP on my Wraith .