1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial Jeep Lighting solution

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by vanomad0530, Mar 13, 2013.

1. vanomad0530

vanomad0530 New Member

Hey everyone, I know it's been a while since I on and everyone who replied to my last thread was awesome! Special thanks to Diablo for taking the time to get some pics of his rig. That thing is awesome by the way!

So I decided to go the route of having an alternate power source for my VP Rigid light bar. I also got a wild hair up my butt and added headlights to it as well. I went to the local electronics store to hopefully browse around and find some ideas and I wound up discovering a plethora of LEDS. So I figured I'd go home and do some experimenting.

I was initially thinking of putting some batteries in series to get the 12 volts recommended for the light bar and went with just a plain old 9v battery for ease. I'm still trying to find a case that I can make water tight so I can mount it and not worry about it getting wet. As for my headlights, I remembered seeing a thread on here how someone just drilled a hole in the headlight and inserted the LED, so I can't take credit for that idea. As for the power source for the headlights....and soon to come fogs and possibly windshield lights.....I took apart a cheap headlamp that I had laying around and used it's battery holder for 2 AAA batteries to equal the recommended 3v's for the front LED's. The battery case was meant for 3 batteries, so I just jumped one of the spots and soldered a wire across so I could get the end result I wanted. I then found an old pill bottle and dunked it under water to see if anything got in. Turns out it's pretty "water proof". Held it under water for a while and shook it around. Nothing got in. Made a great case for the batteries. Here's some pics of everything I hooked up. I'm eventually going to have another plug for the headlights so I can take the shell off completely.

Let me know what you all think. If you have any other suggestions or things that I could do differently, feel free to let me know! I wasn't too keen on connecting everything to the 9v because I'm still new to all this stuff and I'm trying to learn what resistors and everything else does. I'm sure I'll modify the setup again in the future...

Thanks for checking everything out!

Here's the 9v for the Light Bar. It's wrapped in a rubber glove for now...
    [​IMG]

Head light wiring...
    [​IMG]

2. vanomad0530

vanomad0530 New Member

Cheap headlamp battery holder
    [​IMG]

Here's what the doctor ordered for water!....ok bad joke I know....Here's the "battery case".
    [​IMG]

3. vanomad0530

vanomad0530 New Member

AAnnnd the finished product. The front headlights point out slightly. That's why the passenger side looks brighter.
    [​IMG]

And of course I had to test it properly outside at night.
    [​IMG]

4. vanomad0530

vanomad0530 New Member

On a side note for the pill bottle. I left plenty of extra wiring on the inside so I could pull the whole thing out and change the batteries when needed. I'm also not too sure how well the hot glue will hold up, so I'll be plasti-dipping it later on at that side of the bottle.

Thanks again!

5. vanomad0530

vanomad0530 New Member

Woops...left a pic out...here's what the whole thing looks like underneath. I'll be putting a plug in for the headlights so this is all temporary.
    [​IMG]