1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial SCX-10 Dingo vs Honcho/Kit vs RTR.

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by Flgthor, May 7, 2012.

1. Flgthor

Flgthor Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

what is the cost for dingo and honcho?
    what is the 1 you would choose to play with the dingo or the honcho?
    this would be for trailing mainly is what im asking?

2. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well the Dingo is a kit now and Honcho is RTR but really you would spend around the same or possibly more for the dingo depending on what electronics you get. If you feel like you can handle it go for a kit. If you can find an old Dingo RTR I am pretty sure they are very similar price.

3. Honda95freek

Honda95freek MadMan Moderator

Seeing as how now you can build the dingo the way you want it with it being a kit, if you're up for it, that might be the way to go. You do get aluminum links with the Dingo as well, which are a great upgrade over the rtr plastic links. But it will proly cost you more in the long run to build the kit. Either one is a great trail truck though. Nothing wrong with getting the Honcho, it's a great truck!

4. 1santaever

1santaever Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

dingo and the trail honcho

is their a big difference between the dingo and the trail honcho beside the size is one better than the other i have noticed their is a price difference why is that i would like to know because i have been looking at getting one but i dont know what one any help is much appreciated

5. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Honcho is a RTR. ( Except for Batteries and charger.)
    The Dingo is a kit so all electronics have to be purchased separately. ( Thats is why the initial price is cheaper.)

The Honcho has about an inch longer wheel base than the Dingo.

6. 1santaever

1santaever Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

7. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    but the honcho links come in the kit wit the dingo so you can give it that longer stance if you like.

8. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

I have merged the recent thread posts about the SCX-10 Honcho and the Dingo as well as renamed the title to make it more informative. I also made it a sticky thread.

This is to make it easy for our newcomers and beginners to find the topic and read more information about the two most asked about RCs in the Forum. This topic has been asked many times before too in the past so this also will help keep duplicate threads of the same topic from popping up in the future (hopefully).

Please feel free to add more informations to the discussion here so we can help make this a definitive thread.

:)

9. Flgthor

ELiTE MEMBER

ok how much of the dingo is plastic and how much is aluminum/steel??
    if the diff. are plastic any1 have them brake.is there any weak points on the rigs. i am not liking the summit for the treaded plastic i got 3 or 4 stripped holes now.that why im hating plastic.

10. fordguy8790

fordguy8790 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

With the aluminum links, I'd say it is about 50/50 plastic and metal. The shock towers are plastic and the cross members for the frame are plastic, but the C-channel frame is metal. Axles are plastic and so are driveshafts. All in all though, they are tough trucks. Weak points would be grub screws backing out of driveshafts, the driveshafts themselves, and plastic gears in the transmission. I have personally only had the grub screws back out once and have never encountered the other problems. However, if you do run into those problems, you can get metal replacements for all of them.

11. Flgthor

ELiTE MEMBER

for the driveshaft will these fit?
    RC4WD 1.9 Scale Crawler Punisher Driveshaft Set 5mm Steel Yokes fits Axial
    any problems with the diff housing braking?
    i am really thinking of getting the honcho rtr.
    i will be buying something in june i got an extra pay check coming i think ill put my limit to around $400 for a rig.

#11 Flgthor, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  12. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

I run RC4WD Punisher shafts in all of my SCX-10's anymore.. no problems with them other than a bit of shaving if you have the spur gear cover on the transmission for the clearance.. otherwise i love the punishers. I have replaced the gears in my transmission with metal parts from Robinson Racing, and my driveshafts for Punishers.. otherwise.. most of the other mods ive done.. were more for my own driving taste than breaking things. Ive run 5700KV brushless thru the transmission, and the differentials without failiures so no worries in that area... as noted before.. the few weaknesses are the grub screws backing out, threadlock fixes this and plastic gears and driveshafts.

13. Glongg

Glongg Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So if I get a rtr honcho what would be the first things to upgrade? I don't want to spend alot of money on it. I read and have hear they are excellent trucks right out of the box. And what battery is best for stock electronics?

14. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    if ypu getthe rtr honcho the only things toy need are these.
    Axial Racing - Press : Axial Driveshaft Ring w/setscrew
    some lock tite and a second grub screw for each ends of the driveshafts. they are metal. ive been running the same shaftes for well over a year and a half with no issues since the rings.
    other than that do the 4 link mod.everything comes with the truck.well except a few bolts you will need. then worry about aluminum links or custome made ones later. in all honestyworry about getting the truck before you start worrieing about upgrades. lol

15. Glongg

ELiTE MEMBER

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I think the new rtr honcho comes with 4 link already. I weld out of my house as a business. Tig welding all metals is what I do so any up grades to the truck I just might make myself. Thanks again.

16. Flgthor

ELiTE MEMBER

when i get my honcho ill run it til something brakes then upgrade it lol

17. fordguy8790

fordguy8790 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Stock electronics (Axial's AE-2 ESC) allow for a 2S lipo battery with no problems. In fact, the low voltage cutoff for a lipo is on by default. I run a 5400 mah 2S Venom lipo (~$60 or so) and get well over an hour of run time. If you'd rather not use lipo batteries, a 7.2V NIMH battery will work as well.

18. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Axial's AE-2 ESC will also handel 3 cell lipo 11.1v power aswell. as long as you use a BEC [batery eliminator circut] to run your reciver and servos. :)
    Its also programable. using only your remote.
    Axial AE-2 ESC Set-up and Programming

19. Glongg

ELiTE MEMBER

I heard the would run a 3s but was not sure how so thanks for the feed. When my truck gets here I will start "water proofing" and stuff. Because I will have it apart should I start upgrading or wait until I brake something?

20. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Honestly I would wait until you break something before you upgrade it. That is what I do and have been doing for a over a year. All in all they are good out of the box. I have the old honcho but you would never know lol.