1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial SCX-10 Dingo vs Honcho/Kit vs RTR.

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by Flgthor, May 7, 2012.

1. Glongg

Glongg Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I will take your advice and wait to upgrade. Dumb question because I know I can just look it up, buT what is a great waterproof lipo for the stock honcho? I ask here because you guys know your stuff. Thanks

2. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

I have always used a hard case Lipo. Never had a problem and I have had my truck driving under water lol. Put what you can do is get some Plasti Dip or something and just seal all the edges and stuff on it.

3. fordguy8790

fordguy8790 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I wasn't sure about that and didn't want to give the wrong advice and have someone melt their truck, haha. Good catch.

4. Flgthor

Flgthor Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

well i got a honcho ax90022 rtr coming tuesday by ups.i cant wait to get it out of the box.

5. Flgthor

Flgthor Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

well i got my honcho yesturday and was a little disappointed on the plastic steer links and plastic 4 link arms but nice thing i can upgrade :}

6. Kjardine

Kjardine New Member

Scx10

Ok so I am buy two scx10 to build for my brother and I and we are big in too the whole mud truck deal but are wondering if theres anything we should know before we get them ??

#26 Kjardine, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

I merged your thread with this existing thread discussion about the SCX-10. Please feel free to read through the whole thread. Lots of information to be had about the rig that you are looking at.

:)

8. Ned_fisch

Ned_fisch New Member

I had fun with the kit, being able to choose electronics, and all the goods, was great. And the build lets you learn the mechanics of the truck, and how to fix it if something goes wrong. The new RTR, with the silver body, I personally believe, would have to be the best out there. 2.4GHz radio, clean, comfortable and sturdy design. Great electronics, a esc with drag brake, a basic plug 'n' play esc, which I found great, as I have had experience with the Tekin FXR, and the settings needed just to get reverse was making it hard for myself, but, I am a novice, so that can be expected. Metal geared servo also, which is another plus. The entire rig is great. The 27 turn motor is a good motor. Overall, this basic stock setup will get you just about anywhere, and if it is your first scale truck, it is truly all you need. But when you wish to customise the body and cosmetic parts, or electronics, hardware parts its all so easy to do so, so many hop up parts. The trucks appearance is awesome, so scale and realistic.

For me, the only negatives was the plastic links, especially the plastic steering arms, which become very flexible after only a few hours of run time, making it difficult to turn left and right in a stand still position. So upgrading to steel links, is one thing that should be done, but doesn't have to be done right away. Although the drive shaft "yokes" are metal, the universal shafts are only plastic, and will eventually twist under pressure. I upgraded virtually straight away. I upgraded to the Junfac Hardened Carbon steel shafts, which can easily be found on Ebay. Just watch out though, as it seems that the "Dingo" and "Honcho" shafts are different lengths for the Junfac shafts. I have found these shafts great. Junfac includes 4 grub screws for each shaft. On each side of the shafts, the idea is to set the grub screws nice and tight, through the shafts threaded hole, clamping each side of the pinion drive from the transmission and axle's. I found that if you use the screws from the stock WB8 shafts on the truck, it is a much, much better fastening design, and works a treat. The idea of the screws on the new shaft and pinion design is that they screw through the shaft ends, and through the pinion shafts machined drilled hole.

Other then that, I really can't say much else negative about the truck, it is really a great rig, and with a few minor upgrades, it will last forever!
    Until, and if, and when the electronics break or stop working, I wouldn't bother upgrading them. The ESC was made in partnership with Castle creations, so its a damn good esc! I have upgraded the servo, only because I wanted a waterproofed rig. I upgraded to a MKS DS1210 waterproof servo. I used Medic's waterproofing advice video, started with marine grease in the axles and transmission. I waterproofed the ESC and instead of "Plasta-dip" I used a "roof and gutter" Silicone, by taking the plastic casing away from the esc and pasting it over with my finger and covering the esc entirely. The motor hasn't let me down, it has been through some murky, dirty, muddy water and mud bogs, and has stopped working once, due to shorting out. But I found that if you place the rig on the ground, and push it forwards, whilst holding the trigger in forward drive, it fires back up again.
    A 5000mah+ lipo battery will give you at least an hour of runtime, depending on the terrain, and driving for the session. I use a 5800mah lipo and I easily get 2 hours runtime.

A Honcho RTR is definitely the way to go!

9. MudLife

MudLife New Member

Kit or RTR with a Budget?

Hi
    I want to get a Scx10, but I'm not sure which one for the price? From the research I've done it seems like both the Dingo kit and Honcho RTR are both very good rigs.. but its never a clear reason to get one or the other. I'm kind of leaning towards the dingo kit because I love building things and finding out how things work plus I can do things the way I want them aka marine grease not normal grease, BUT I'm on a budget... And I dont know which would cost more? Basically what I'm saying is the dingo kit costs an average of $250 with no electronics, and the Honcho costs about $350 with everything you need. So can I get all of my electronics (minus the transmitter and receiver as I already have those) for $100 or less? I just know that I would want to waterproof my electronics as where I would be driving tends to be muddy and wet so if there are waterproof electronics for not that expensive those would be great. I would have an absolute MAX budget of 400 but 350 sounds a heck of a lot more appealing. Any input would help a ton! Thanks!

*Plus I like the look of the dingo body over the honcho and changing the body just adds the cost

#29 MudLife, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

ESC, motor and servo is going to run you more then $100

11. MudLife

MudLife New Member

I think I'm just going to go with the kit because I have a Traxxas Slash already and I will just use all of the electronics in it with a new axial motor and be at a low price of only 265! yippiee

#31 MudLife, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  12. benita

benita New Member

i have the honcho and i am loving it its very durible. the only thing is i have the older kit version that has the 1.9 proline flatirons. i have took the honcho on long hikes and trail runs and its held up i would recomend the honcho over the dingo the lenght of the honcho is better for trail truck i think than the dingo.

13. EvaderKMP

EvaderKMP Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Oh man just had a website error after typing up a reply....and I'm not typing the darn thing again so here goes short version....

TR Honcho is great beginning scaler...I don't like plastic links, going to replace, but I don't know what length links to buy with rc4wd M3 rod ends...also want to know if anyone knows if Wraith or AX10 skid/tranny plate is compatible with SCX10...from what i seen they look the same...but asking if anyone has tried it.

14. nachos

nachos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I would take a RTR over a kit personally,if it is going to be your first trail truck.
    Then you can use use it immediately, even if the initial price standpoint is a little higher than the kit.
    Upgrade parts as you see fit or your budget allows or as you break parts or as electronics fail.

If you are onto your second rig, then buy all means go for a kit version.
    Then you have the time in the world to customize it to your liking.

My 2 cents.....

15. RyanEllevsen

RyanEllevsen New Member

16. Orderve

Orderve Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I recently just finished my first rc build,I bought the Dingo kit. The hardest part for me was setting up the electronics. I would not suggest a kit for your first truck ,unless you're like me and don't want something someone else built, haha. I spent about $400, which isn't too much more then the RTR, but I have the gratification of knowing I built it. (and if it tears up I know who to blame haha)

17. ealoken

ealoken New Member

I bought the Axial-scx-10, and id say that it is a great beginners car, 5300 mah lipo gives you a 1 hour + climber.
    The RTR package is probably the best built RTR pack out there.

18. badmonkey269

badmonkey269 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the new honcho rtr you dont need to worry about the driveshaft grub screws backing out they fixed that issue with it. only screw you need to watch out for is the c-hub screws.

19. mm4rc

mm4rc New Member

Comparing these two trail trucks to each other, there isn't that much difference really. The dingo & the honcho to me, are just different body's & names.
    The wheel base may be shorter in the dingo and the honcho may not have a kit version, virtually it's still the same trail truck. Links & steering rods being aluminum in the dingo kit are an advantage, if that's what you are looking for. I've had my honcho for nearly 2 years now, all links & rods are stock (plastic). Iv'e never replaced the old with the new, all been brutally bashed but still are holding strong. That's saying something.
    If your looking for a more accurate cost, look for replies in your country/state.
    In australia i paid $500 for the old honcho, when it was really old. I got my wife the dingo kit version & bought the electrics separately, i paid around $450. Only $50 difference.
    Depending on your know how of rc electrics & your price range, there's not much difference between buying the kit or rtr still awesome trail trucks.
    Cheers, matty

4ofus likes this.
  20. silentj001

silentj001 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a Honcho RTR, and it is awesome. I have upgraded the links with the kit you can buy. It is my first rig but a very fun truck. I would recommend one to anyone.