1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial windshield decal bubbles

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Homer Pyle, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Homer Pyle

Homer Pyle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hi everyone,

Would anyone know if windshield bubbles eventually disappear.When I built my Honcho in May,I had some bubbling,but they seemed to have cleared up.

I just built my Dingo,and last night messed up the sticker and was wondering if these would kinda self go down.

Honcho pictures,first two are from May,second two are from today;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what I did to my Dingo;

[​IMG]

I thought I read some place before that the bubbles do go down by themselves,if this is the case,I can wait.

If this is not the case,is there anyway of correcting these?
    I do not know what happened.Every decal went on without a bubble,especially the front decal of the grill and lights.
    I did the spray bottle with mild soapy water on it and it stuck and I did not want to force them without scratching the sticker.
    I have also read not to poke holes into the in order to let the air out due to that the holes may start to dry and the eventually peel back.

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. segersshop

segersshop Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

usually the bubbles are there from dirt. have you tried to take like a gift/credit card and work the air to the edge?

3. Homer Pyle

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks,
    I have not tried that because when I did that on my Honcho,I put scratches across it,so I stop.

4. segersshop

segersshop Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

maybe you could try a rubber one like they use for window tint ?

5. Fatalmaya92

Fatalmaya92 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i have not discovered a way other than those listed already, and when i built my dingo kit, windshield went on perfectly, but then bubbles showed up next day. i didnt notice until coming home that day after filming a fpv video and the bubbles were so bad that it caused camera t o focus INSIDE the cab, not outside like i had it in the first place. so i just cut the window decal around the edge to have the edge detail, and the rest i removed.

6. Homer Pyle

ELiTE MEMBER

I used a piece of lexan with a piece of electrical tape on it,but I think I was pressing to hard,while being frustrated.Also,I tried heating it up with a hair dryer and dragging the lexan across it.

That was going to be a last resort method.
    Actually,I ordered another Dingo body and was going to give it another go.I have been thinking about using and have also read about using Windex.

Last night,I got out the hair dryer and heated it up and pushed most of the large bubbles to the edges,which looks a little better,but the tiny bubbles are still in there..I only used my fingers to pushed them,and really did not feel too good as well.

If I get a moment,I will try and post another picture.Also,if they fade in a few months,I will try and post a picture as well.

7. selightfritz

selightfritz Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Try a set of screen protectors for a cell phone they come with a small plastic "de-bubbler".
    that and patience....

8. Homer Pyle

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks,I will keep that in mind.I did take my time last night.

I was thinking after I posted earlier,maybe there was some left over sticky residue from the tape that was used for masking.I just used a clean cloth to wipe off the windshield.

Todays picture;
    [​IMG]

9. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Some times it best to apply things like this with 2 people. Windex, hair dryer, a plastic spatula from a auto body kit, (walmart and other stores sell the for about $6) and time, did I say time? Go very slowly. Lightly spray the window with windex. You just need a light mist. Start at the top center. (This is where 2 people come in handy) Working from the center, using the spatula, slide down to the bottom. Then work to one side. ( while keeping the other side off the window) Now work the other side down. If you have any air pockets, Use the hair dryer to warm up the decal and slowly work them out. The bigger the decal, more of a need for 2 people. I had some on my full size mustang it took 4 people to put it on.
    Hope this helps any one else with this problem.

10. armyscxkevin

armyscxkevin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The best way to apply decals on any part of the body with out bubbling is to clean the surface than mist the area with clean(unchlorinated) water and mist the sticky side of the decal, than apply decal to misted area, than slide decal into final position. Once the decal is in its final position hold on side down firmly than use a spatula or a credit/dedit card and drag it across the surface of decal to remove the water from under the decal. This is how they apply screen protectors to phones and decals to other items.

11. Homer Pyle

ELiTE MEMBER

I never thought about that.I used a drop of soap,with water out of my tap,,,great tip.-----Thank you.

On the Honcho,I used a medium mist sprayer,so I thought that was the problem.
    On the Dingo,I used a fine mist sprayer and kinda got the same results.

I am working on another Dingo body and will try some of these techniques.