1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial Wraith - Definitive Upgrade Guide (always refer to 1st post for list)

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by dna4engr, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello fellow RCSparks members. I have been toying with the idea to make a definitive upgrade list for the Wraith and eventually other models. Mostly so that new members or new Wraith owners can get some guidance to commonly asked questions. Also, so us members can point New members with these types of questions to a single location. There are tons of threads on Wraith builds and upgrade advice given, but no complete list.

If you find this thread is helpful, please post if you would like it to be a Sticky in the Newbe help section. :want:

To be clear, this is a "Definitive" list of upgrades for your Axial Wraith based on an extensive amount of research I've done along with my own experiences. I belong to a couple other forums so I'm flexing on the experience I've learned from those along with what I've learned here and in my own workshop.

In No way is this a list of the ONLY way to do a Wraith. There are hundreds of other options out there. I focused this list on the most typically well reviewed and good performing parts that are available to us consumers. I am not referencing any custom work (except for some easy tire mods) as the goal here was to provide guidance to those looking to spend $$ on their first upgrade and don't know where to start. This can be applied to the Wraith kit, the standard Wraith RTR, and the new Poison Spyder RTR. To answer some questions up front; Yes the Tekin RX8 is a great esc for high power motors, it's just really expensive. The hobbywing stuff is good too, but the MMP is about the same price. There are just way too many tires out there, so this is what I've seen and used and found to be the best. Let me hear it though if you have a strong case for something not shown or in a spot you don't agree with.

Please take a look and let me know what you think, your feedback is essential.
    :haveaniceday:

=========================================================================================
    The key to this list, is that it is flexible. If you have an alternative idea or disagree with something:
    • Please post in the thread string your idea or feedback
    • If you like an idea, post with an x2 (or 3, or 4, etc)
    • If you just have a question as to why I put something in there, feel free to ask and I will let you know
    • I will work to incorporate ideas and suggestions into the list
    • I will upload new images to the first post (and remove the originals). The first post will be the "safe source".
    ===============================================================================
    Remember, this is for Newbies and even some of the seasoned veterans to have a reference of what is available for their rigs with varying levels of performance and different applications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you all for your input,
    Dna

#1 dna4engr, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    OKCrawler likes this.
  2. RcCrawlerKing

RcCrawlerKing Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks you so much, I agree with everything here and I recommend this to anyone who doesn't know what to do with there wraith but want to do something with it in terms of upgrading! This is AWESOME!

3. dave123791

dave123791 New Member

Thanks. This really helped me.

4. jake.RECKLES

jake.RECKLES New Member

amazing idea you really have done your research! this is going to help alot of people me included!

5. jbarrick83

jbarrick83 New Member

What size pinion gear do you recommend to go with the RRP 32p 56t spur gear?

6. Dao20

Dao20 Member

Have you considered adding a 'suggestions from the pro's section'?

Perhaps, combination suggestions ie. if you upgrade your motor, you should also look into upgrading...

Aren't most new R/Cers are working on limited budgets
    Perhaps, suggestions of initial & down the road parts to upgrade depending on the route the R/Cer wants to take their new Wraith. ie - if you want a super strong crawler, you can start by upgrading... then later on look into upgrading... If you want a super fast rock racer, look into upgrading...

Perhaps, also comments of "these parts don't tend to break as easily, save your money" "these parts are more likely to get weak & or completely fail, you might want to start by upgrading them or buy spares.

That way they can then refer to your lists of what to upgrade the parts to. This could also help the newest and greenest R/Cer make decisions & choose upgrades like the most experienced R/C addict.

7. dna4engr

ELiTE MEMBER

If youre using a brushless motor, you can go as low as an 11 or 12T hardened steel pinion. If you are using a brushed motor, you can go up to 14T to match the stock gear ratio but would recommend also being in that 11-12T range.

There are a lot of things I could add to this list. It's pretty enormous as it is. The categories (columns) and good/better/best (rows) are intended to do just what you suggest. Allow someone to make a rig that fits their desires and core functionality. The majority of the good/better/best items are not just ranked in quality and performance but also in cost.

The number 2 question after "Which scaler should I buy" is "what should I upgrade first". Because everyone has an opinion (that's different), I didn't want to put that in here. I will actually give different advice to different people based on their driving style and budget. So putting one bit of advice won't work too well. I'm more than willing to answer questions and have had many people PM me with questions. Feel free to PM me or post on this thread (it always helps to post quote or add my name [MENTION=5424]dna4engr[/MENTION] to get the quickest response).

The same thing goes for robustness of parts. I've had topcad universals break under big brushless power, but I've had other parts from them stand up well. I have Vanquish VVD's that are taking tons of abuse and other folks have them fail under brushless power. Others have different opinions and they're welcome to make comments and suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a living document. We'll see if/how I can change anything going forward.

Dna

8. Dao20

Dao20 Member

Hay [MENTION=5424]dna4engr[/MENTION], I'm getting a motor (two Dewalt 18V motors wired in parallel) & tranny (Traxxas Summit two speed) combo from a friend that I need advise about gearing to maximize on torque. I'm not worried about speed in the least, at least not until I properly learn how to drive it safely. So slow is the way to go for now, I just want lots & lots of TORQUE. What's the best gearing arrangement that you would recommend for this?

9. dna4engr

ELiTE MEMBER

[MENTION=14032]Dao20[/MENTION] One of those motors is going to break some serious parts. 2 is insane.. I like it. Do you have a dual motor mount?

Ill have to think about this a bit.

Do you have a custom tranny mount? Also do you have any other upgrades to the driveline? Mip shafts, hd gears?

10. dna4engr

ELiTE MEMBER

You're going to want to get the smallest pinion possible if you really just want torque. They make a 62t spur for the summit tranny that would be a good start. Probably pick up a 13, 14, and 15t pinion to see what gives you the speed you want. With those motors you are not going to have to worry about torque so its just a matter of tuning the top speed to your liking.

Key thing to remember, depending on the shaft diameter of your motors, your pinion selection has to accommodate. I think the stock 775 has a 5mm stator but many other motors have a 3mm output. You can make the 5mm pinions work with a sleeve to occupy the gap but they do make 32 pitch pinions with either shaft diameter.

Dna

11. Dao20

Dao20 Member

Yup, I'm getting the whole setup from another R/Cer on here. Dual motors, custom motor mount, already attached to a summit tranny. I was actually just doing the math to work out what size pinion & spur I want. That 62T spur sounds perfect.

Are you by chance familiar with how to figure the gearing? Or is anyone else? The equation that I came up with from reading a few different postings was:
    ((Tire diameter(mm) X 3.14) is “tire circumference” / ((pinion X spur) X .13)) is “final drive ratio” = “Rollout”
    or
    ((145 X 3.14) / ((62X14) X .13)) which equals 3.76 for the rollout, isn't that pretty low? The posts that I've seen online had there rollout around 10.

I'm working with GCM about building the four seater steel cage & custom skid plate, of which the skid plate is going to be lowered an inch to help accommodate those motors. GCM know what motors & tranny I'm getting so I'm assuming that they would take it into account when they build it. As for upgrades to the drive line, I'm just going to get either hardened steel or titanium everything right off the bat. This is going to be a complete custom build from the ground up, once I get the cage made I'm just going to go from there keeping in mind that everything is going to fit the name. "XS"

#11 Dao20, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  12. dna4engr

ELiTE MEMBER

[MENTION=14032]Dao20[/MENTION]

I was wrong it looks like the stock spur is 68t. Which is what you'll want to keep for torque.

The overall gear ratio is multiplicative. Traxxas publishes overall gear ratios rather than the individual ratio of the transmission. You'll need to figure out the ratio of just the transmission in the two gears. It's pretty easy, just turn the spur gear shaft and count how many times you have to turn it to get a complete rotation of the tranny output. It may get a little difficult if it isn't obvious how many lower output rotations occurred. If you get within a 1/4 of a turn you'll be close enough. The tranny gear ratio in each gear is the number of spur shaft rotations over 1 turn of the tranny output.

The overall gear ratio of the rig will be the:
    (Spur/pinion) x tranny ratio (low should be about 4/1, high should be about 2 or 3/1) x axle ratio (stock axial is 38/13) = motor to axle ratio
    If you divide the max motor rpm by this ratio, you will know the axle rpm.

For example:
    62/14 x 4/1 x 38/13 = 51.8. So if you have a 20000 rpm motor your axle will turn 20000/51.8 = 386 rpm

The output at the wheels (ie speed) will be this rpm times the diameter times pi.
    386rpm x 5.75in (assuming a big 2.2) x 3.14 = 6969 in/min = 6.6 mph

These were all based on guesses of the gear ratios of the transmission. They'll need to be known to be sure.

Dna

#12 dna4engr, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  13. RCTogether

RCTogether New Member

[MENTION=5424]dna4engr[/MENTION] Wow. I am speechless after checking your latest video brother, nice work! But I originally found this amazing thread with extremely useful information, thanks a million for putting this together for the community! and by the way SUB'd.

:haveaniceday:

14. DrGonzo666

DrGonzo666 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Awesome Stuff! I would add that RC4WD (Integy is ok, but RC4WD is better) ball ends w/ flanges for the links are also a good upgrade. They need some thread tape to stay sung though. I didn't see them but I may have missed it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

#14 DrGonzo666, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  15. Bearccountry

Bearccountry Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry but I cant see the pics.

16. Stephencowan

Stephencowan Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Me too I can't see pictures ..

17. dna4engr

ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry guys. I had an issue with photo bucket and my bandwidth. It's working again.

Dna

18. Muddslinger_A1C

Muddslinger_A1C Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Is there a list like this for the SCX10? if not we should all try to make a list

19. Ballistic

Ballistic ND RC Junkie
    ELiTE MEMBER

Don't think there is. That would be nice though if there was.

20. Muddslinger_A1C

Muddslinger_A1C Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    im not knowlegdeable enough to put together my own list, so who should i contact to do it