1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial Wraith Not Working

Discussion in 'Servos, BEC's, ESC's, Switches' started by irydslow, Jan 6, 2013.

1. 70hemicuda

70hemicuda Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I didnt either man lol. you cant learn by taking it to a hobby shop everytime it breaks. take some time get it tore down and post pictures of what it looks like. we will help you go from there! its why we all come here!!!:haveaniceday:

2. marty.h

marty.h New Member

As a lot have said here if you buy pre built pull it apart and check it over and also make sure everything is tight.

Better of with a kit that way you learn how the RC goes together which comes in handy later on if you need to do repairs and that.

Im a believer in buying quality that way you buy once generally as only ends up costing you more in the end.

I myself use , Novak, Savox, Futaba ect all well known names with a good reputation and customer services within the UK. I cant comment on what customer services are like in other countries.

A lot of people also think RC's go forever without any maintenance they dont you have to keep on top of them a lot of failures are down to poor maintenence things working loose ect. After every meeting I go through my car and check everything for tightness and pop shafts out to check inserts and make sure nothing has got wrapped round joints ect.
    Motors also need maintaining dont take much to pop end bells of and check inside and clean them out.

A well maintained RC is generally trouble free :D

3. RenDnB

RenDnB New Member

Holy cow, I'm glad I didn't get the RTR version of the Wraith just reading these stories. Just like Jaloos said, the kit is a bit nicer since you and you alone get to make sure its all done just right. That being said I know that kits aren't for everyone, but you should definitely get to know your Wraith on a more intimate level by tearing it down and building it back up. The tube body adds a bunch of complexity which makes it frustrating sometimes (basically the reason I don't have the interior popped in yet, make it easier to upgrade for now), but once you get used to it and know which screws to remove, its not so bad. But definitely, rip the thing apart and make sure things are put together to your specifications.

As far as an aftermarket ESC/Motor combo, I actually went with the Novak Timbuk2 combo and love the heck out of it. I've gone crawling with it a few times, but actually haven't had the hill brake engaged lmao. I bet it crawls a lot better with the brake on.

4. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    As a side note I am building a couple XR-10 kits at the moment. Would not have wanted them built as a RTR version for sure. They need some time and attention to detail that I think you just don't get with an RTR kit.

5. irydslow

irydslow New Member

Just wanted to provide a follow up to my original post. Yes, I'm getting much more comfortable taking this truck apart and putting it back together again. Unfortunately. Third time I pulled the motor and transmission, realized the fly wheel had some stripped teeth which was binding the motor. That fixed, all was well. Then we stripped the steering knuckle. Plastic gear teeth = NG. We aren't beating on this truck by any means. My son is running it up and down our back hill, it tips over and tumbles down the hill once in awhile, but nothing radical, we're too worried about breaking another part. I'm not very impressed with the reliability and how temperamental this truck has been. He beats the living bag out of his Traxxas Slash, and it's only needed one motor and an a-arm.

Secondary question, not sure if anyone has a Onyx 150 Lipo charger? I plug the battery into it for charging, but when I plug the balancing plug in the charger starts beeping and won't stop. I can't find this error in the manual, so can't determine what it's trying to tell me? Maybe bad battery? Happy to get any input on this head-scratcher. Thank you!!

6. irydslow

irydslow New Member

Okay, just read on another forum, that I might be able to put the Lipo on a Nimh charger for a minute or so to get the voltage high enough to read it on the Lipo charger. Although this may work for now, the battery was probably drained too low and is permanently damaged now. Boooo.

7. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Technically that will work, but I wouldn't because lipo fires also start house fires.
    If you try it anyway please make sure you use a lipo charging bag or take it outside just for safety.
    And only use very short burst then check it.

8. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I dont think you are ever supposed to hook up a lipo to a nimh charger! Have you hooked the battery up to an rc and tried it yet? I have the onyx245 and if the battery has not been ran down enough it wont let a charge start and says error on the screen. Also try turning the balancing port in s different way.

9. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    There have been those that will us a charger for NIMH to raise the voltage to 3.2 volts per cell so that a LiPo charger will charge them.

Do it at a very low rate and as Crankbait said be extremely cautious and do it outside away from combustibles and on a cement surface.

Keep a bucket of sand handy should the pack light up. You can dump the sand on it to kill the fire should you have one, you must remove the oxygen, water will not do it.

10. William Bell

William Bell New Member

what would make my wraith stop working then it will start back working. But when it starts back working it acts like it has no power.Please help me so i can have more fun with wraith??

11. William Bell

William Bell New Member

how to turn the lipo back on?