1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axial Wraith or Axial AX10 Ridgecrest or Axial SCX10 Honcho RTR

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by RCROCKS75, May 19, 2013.

1. RCROCKS75

RCROCKS75 New Member

Which one of the three do you think will be the best for a newbie to scaling? The three are the Axial Wraith RTR, Axial AX10 Ridgecrest or Axial SCX10 Honcho RTR. I want to go scaling in the woods and on rough terrain. Hope that last sentence helps.

2. Wolfkelly

Wolfkelly Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

are you going to go slow or fast scaling is slow rock crawling is slow how much detail do you want so mini things to look at and to be honest no one can tell you what is the best for you only you know what you want it to do and be :seriousbusiness:

3. RCROCKS75

RCROCKS75 New Member

Slow speed crawling. The place where I want to drive it is on rocks, huge inclines/declines, and has roots and ruts and anything else you can think of.

4. Wolfkelly

Wolfkelly Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i have the scx 10 and the wraith and in love them both and if i had a ridgecreast its the same as wraith i would love it to they all are great trucks so any you get you will be happy happy happy :seriousbusiness:

5. RCinmyblood

RCinmyblood Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

they are all great
    in my opinion i would take the honcho
    the wraith can take abit of a beating especially if you plan on putting in a brushless system
    the ridgecrest looks good but never owned on so not too sure

6. RCROCKS75

RCROCKS75 New Member

Thanks guys! Yeah I looked at the price tag to see which one I want. Still in the air though. The Wraith and Ridgecrest both have the motor I want for the room I have (lots of open space in the woods to play with). Though the SCX10 has the torque I want (I have a rc boat and a trailer so I want to pull it). I like the wheels and tires on the SCX10. Though I like the front end appearance of the Wraith. Though I like the price tag on the Ridgecrest.

7. sturtad

sturtad New Member

i wouldnt bother with the wraith they like to eat servo`s from what ive seen and heard my mate has a wraith and it ate a savox mg servo last week it was brand new and only lasted 10 mins and ive also heard of atleast a dozen more people with the same problem with servo`s just dieing for no reason.

i have a scx10 and cant fault it it gets ran atleast 8-9 hours every weekend ive heard good things about the ridgecrest it sues the same axles as the wraith so parts are readily availible and cheap unless you go for vp parts

8. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I got the Wraith and LOVE IT!! Although I have not had any problem with the servo. I still have the stock steering links though so it is a built in servo saver. I haven't driven an SCX10 or Ridgecrest so I can not and will advise against them as they are great choices. The Wraith can be a bit of a challenge to work on with the cage/body so keep that in mind. The SCX10 has fairly easy access to everything by just removing the body and there are endless choices for bodies for the SCX10 and Ridgecrest.

I know I really didn't help your dilemma Also keep in mind If you get the Ridgecrest or Wraith and later decide you still want an SCX10 just get the frame off Ebay and you can use the parts off the other to build it!

9. jeremy878785

jeremy878785 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I used to share a ridgecrest with my brother in law and ive drove an Scx 10 for your slow crawling like you want the ridgecrest is good but for scale not so much. If you get a ridgecrest be sure to get aluminum steering knuckles because the screws tend to back out of the plastic ones.

10. LST04

LST04 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a Honcho, They are the kings of scaling...I'd go for a Honcho.

11. Slimjr331

Slimjr331 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a Wraith and I love it. I got the Wraith Kit and put in my own electronics. My friend has the Honcho and thats a real nice rig. The Honcho will be better for scaling.

#11 Slimjr331, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. bongofish

bongofish Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a Wraith also, and have NO issues whatsoever that were not as a result of my driving. Nothing has just 'broken'. I may have aided it in breaking, but it'd be hard pressed to just 'break' for no reason.
    The SCX10 is an awesome rig too. I personally don't have one, but I have a few friends that do and I've been impressed with its capabilities.
    The good thing is that the aftermarket is behind all of the rigs you listed, so parts wouldn't be an issue at all.
    One thing to consider though. Don't let the torque thing steer you from a rig that you want. That's a really simple and extremely cheap fix. The Wraith comes with a 20T, and it works well. When I finally burnt mine up, I wanted more bottom end torque, so I went with a 55T Novak and it was dirt cheap to do so.
    At any rate, enjoy your new rig, and if we can help, by all means, ask!